Trip insurance - Cancel for any reason

BigHero4

With the new pandemic-era travel, has anyone out there bought "cancel for any reason" trip insurance? Specifically if renting DVC points several months in advance.

I've purchased trip insurance in the past, but it didn't encompass every scenario (i.e. virus outbreak). I have a feeling that if we are still required to wear masks at Disney World next winter, then we may have to cancel. Anybody have suggestions for this type of insurance? Thanks for the help!

BigHero4

Original Poster
I wanted to update this post in case someone came here looking for help... I went to https://www.squaremouth.com/ to compare insurance companies and coverage. In this case, I specifically looked for policies that carried the Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) option. It was very easy to use and compare. I feel like we got a great rate for CFAR coverage on our DVC rental, and now feel more comfortable with what may come up in 2021 and beyond.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of these companies require you to book CFAR insurance within 21 days (or sooner) of booking. If you are outside this window, your only option is standard trip cancellation insurance. This type of insurance has a small umbrella of options that are covered and likely will not cover surprise travel restrictions for a pandemic.

I did notice that some companies off "coronavirus protection", which means if you test positive for COVID-19 or are quarntied because of COVID-19, you can use your trip insurance in case you cannot travel.

I hope this helps someone going forward.

Upvote 0

BeautyBelle

I was supposed to go to WDW last March with my mom and daughter, which obviously got cancelled. We were going to stay with DVC rented points. When it happened the company initially only offered rebooking, so we rebooked to this past October, naively thinking things would be back to normal by then. When we rebooked we got insurance through Travel Safe and got the "cancel for any reason" option. In August I cancelled the October trip because I just wasn't comfortable going. I submitted a claim to the insurance company. They initially rejected it because we hadn't purchased the insurance within 21 days of the initial down payment (they go off payment date, not booking date) but we filed an appeal and received our money back. I have never used travel insurance before but I was very pleased with the outcome. They were easy to work with and responsive. And I kind of expected the initial denial. Once we appealed we had no problems.

Upvote 0

BigHero4

Original Poster
I was supposed to go to WDW last March with my mom and daughter, which obviously got cancelled. We were going to stay with DVC rented points. When it happened the company initially only offered rebooking, so we rebooked to this past October, naively thinking things would be back to normal by then. When we rebooked we got insurance through Travel Safe and got the "cancel for any reason" option. In August I cancelled the October trip because I just wasn't comfortable going. I submitted a claim to the insurance company. They initially rejected it because we hadn't purchased the insurance within 21 days of the initial down payment (they go off payment date, not booking date) but we filed an appeal and received our money back. I have never used travel insurance before but I was very pleased with the outcome. They were easy to work with and responsive. And I kind of expected the initial denial. Once we appealed we had no problems.
Thank you for this update @BeautyBelle ! I have been going back and forth with customer service regarding the deposit date vs the booking date. Since the deposit is held until the DVC member actually acts on a booking. The company that I am talking with said booking date, but I've read it the other way (as you went through) as well.

I miss the "old normal"!!

Upvote 0

BeautyBelle

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I wasn't trying to say you were wrong about "booking date." I meant Travel Safe does it based on deposit. I do think the cancel anytime gave us a bit more leniency on the deposit date issue. I felt like it was worth it in the end.

I miss it too! We are supposed to go next fall and I have my fingers triple crossed that it will actually happen this time.

Upvote 0

Lassion

They have the right to cancel the event in advance because of the covid, but they owe you a refund. That's how I know it should work.
In such cases, I try to read as much as possible the policy of the insurance agencies. Sometimes I like to watch Youtube videos of people who recently have traveled and tell their journey, such as .
Try to consult with a lawyer who can tell you more about it. What if the company is lying to you? So at least you'll know the answer to that question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DelgadoEl

We were supposed to visit Disneyland this summer, but our trip got canceled because of Covid. Luckily we had Covid trip insurance, so we got our money back 100%. I still hope we'll get to see it at least in the spring for our daughter's birthday, but for now, we're planning another trip for the holidays.
We all love Ecotourism especially, and we always go for new destinations, maybe not that common, and the one time we wanted to go to the very known Disneyland, we failed.
A bit sad, but not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave B

I've purchased trip insurance in the past, but it didn't encompass every scenario (i.e. virus outbreak). I have a feeling that if we are still required to wear masks at Disney World next winter, then we may have to cancel.
Just curious as to why you would cancel?

Upvote 0

BigHero4

Original Poster
Just curious as to why you would cancel?
Hi @Dave B - We have a couple asthmatics in our family and masks aren't really conducive for them in the FL heat regardless of season. Outside of that, the CFAR (despite recouping somewhere between 50-75% of trip cost depending on company), is a nice safety net for a young family especially in these uncertain times. God is the only constant!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom