Tree of Life - Animal List

BlakeW39

Jeez lol... calm down. I'm not saying that the exact species matter not to me, I'm saying the species list clearly doesn't all that much matter to the imagineers - the ones designing the tree - to document them in a list. Idk what is so rude about acknowledging that... I like DAK and I like animals. I'm simply posting the reality of it, if I am wrong then prove me so with a list. Nothing wrong with that

tallica

Jeez lol... calm down. I'm not saying that the exact species matter not to me, I'm saying the species list clearly doesn't all that much matter to the imagineers - the ones designing the tree - to document them in a list. Idk what is so rude about acknowledging that... I like DAK and I like animals. I'm simply posting the reality of it, if I am wrong then prove me so with a list. Nothing wrong with that
that may have been your intention but your execution was very rude

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs

A Disney rep was able to reply to an inquiry of the total number of animals (325) on the Tree, so there’s likely a list of the specific animals that hasn’t been shared publicly.

The Pho

The number of animals has been well publicized but I’ve never seen a complete list anywhere. Many have asked though on other forums. I’ve seen a few lists, but all far from complete.
Curious if anybody has actually reached out to guest services about a possible full list.

yoda_5729

I would say it matters, as a lot of people have a favorite animal, and some are not as obvious as others are on the tree. Certain ones are pretty prevalent and visible, but some that are in the roots, or high up can be more difficult. That being said, I don't know if Disney has a list or not, but it could be a interesting project for some to try to undertake, by taking pictures of the tree at different angles, and the roots systems. I don't know how Disney counts multiple animals representing one species, as I think there is a wildebeest stampede somewhere on the tree. Does that count as one, or does each wildebeest count?

Paper straw fan

I have “quiet days” w my wife at some parks, where for whatever reason we aren’t going carpe diem on the park and are just mostly hanging back, avoiding the big crowds and finding something new to do. Sometimes those wind up being the absolute best moments for us too. One such was walking around the tree in the rain, already wet so whatever, no need to seek shelter, and we were maybe thinking of doing Tough 2 BaB, but instead we’d walk, find some spot, and just sit there together spotting animals in the tree. I don’t remember the day, or even which trip this was. I just remember holding hands, smiling, and without realizing it, having a special moment with my wife that I’ll now remember for many years.

That said, if they had where you can get a sheet and pencil, maybe a pic of the tree with some outlined shape and a number assigned- so you try and find #42 and figure out oh it’s a snake! Or so on. Or just list them all that you see, then either get another sheet, or on the back of the one you have, where you can label the animals on the tree on your sheet. Could keep people busy for at least an hour (me for one)*

* edit- I now realize that AK probably doesn’t want a ton of extra trash around, so maybe a reusable little white board and a sharpie?

Last edited:

beertiki

Original Poster
Paper Straw Fan,
You just said hit all of the points as to why it matters. The tree is an amazing piece of art and most do not spend the time to enjoy it. There are so many details that the average park visitors do not see. It is possible to have several minutes where you are completely alone. The perfect break from the crowds for a game of "I Spy". My favorite memories of Disney are not found on any ride, they are the places were designed to make you stop, and enjoy your vacation away from reality.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I can recall seeing forwarded emails with photos purporting to show a mystical tree in Kenya where the "shapes of animals had mysteriously grown in the bark..."

Turns out it was the ToL in AK, and someone had effectively fished all their friends into believing it was a real tree in a real African nation.

So, for the sake of all those in the world incapable or unwilling to think critically about things like that, I agree that it's important to not only enumerate, but to also identify all the animals represented in the Tree.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The number of animals has been well publicized but I’ve never seen a complete list anywhere. Many have asked though on other forums. I’ve seen a few lists, but all far from complete.
Curious if anybody has actually reached out to guest services about a possible full list.

My search-fu turned up nothing. I searched for the expected parameters plus the names of some of the animals that are on the tree but not elsewhere in the park. That should have turned up any list that exists, but it didn't.

jaklgreen

We have been visiting AK since it has opened. I have always wished that they had some kind of booklet that had a picture of all of the animals close up and where to find them on the tree.

The Pho

yoda_5729

That’s probably the best list I found, but it’s far from complete.

That site is a very good start on it, and it's quite impressive they did all that. I wasn't aware though that all the animals on the tree were endangered species. Being absolutely specific is very hard since size and colors of the animals isn't present, but I think (and I could be mistaken), one of the animals that is on the signage for the Tree of Life Garden is a raccoon, which is not endangered. Looking at my own pics, I did find some that they have, but a few that weren't mentioned like a snapping turtle, ostrich, and praying mantis.

Paper straw fan

I think I’ll use that to get started. Wife and I are going to put a spreadsheet on our phone, and slowly add to it what we see. Won’t be something we complete in one try, but were gonna see how much we can chip away at it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom