Traveling w/ a deaf person

littlered

We will be going to WDW in October with my sister and her new husband who is deaf. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using the services at WDW for deaf people? Such as the handheld devices, interprer services and the captioned shows.
Any tips or recommendations would be much appriciated.
Thanks in advance!!:wave:

3fordisney

Both of my parents are deaf. You can obtain 2 weeks prior to your trip a schedule, detailing when and where a sign language interperter will be. There is a contact person listed on allearsnet.com where you can obtain the info.

Some of the monitors throughout the parks have closed captioning. There are also reflective captioning devices that are available for some of the shows and 3D movies. There is also a handheld device that can be worn around the neck. My parents hate it. It isn't very light and can be bothersome to carry around. They have decided not to use it.

There is reserved seating for those needing the interpreter/reflective captioning and the members in their party. This is nice so everyone can sit together. However, sometimes the location of the seating isn't the best and while watching the interpreter, they miss the show itself.

When you make your reservatios, inform them of the situation and have them make a note on the reservation that he will need to have a ttd, alarm clock, etc for the deaf. My parents have done this. Usually, upon check-in, the front desk will have someone come and set it up. It would be great if they'd do this prior to the arrival. We have visited a Holiday Inn Express where it was all set up before we got there. It can take a while for this to take place, but at least they have it available for him.

Disney is pretty good about what they offer, but it does have a long way to go. You'll have to plan your trip based on where the interpreters will be and when. My parents have enjoyed their several trips to WDW. Hope this helps out and let us know how the trip goes!

Upvote 0

littlered

Original Poster
thanks for the info, we are all looking forward to the trip. My sister & husband will be on their big honeymoon trip (they are actually getting married in a few weeks) and dh and myself will be celebrating our 15 wedding anniversary.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
If i recall correctly.. it shakes the bed. Sorta like those old fashioned "massaging" beds that vibrated you can find in motels.

The phone will flash a sort of strobe light, and they'll also switch out the fire alarm if it's not already the proper type (flashes and vibrates the bed too methinks).

Upvote 0

maelstrom

If i recall correctly.. it shakes the bed. Sorta like those old fashioned "massaging" beds that vibrated you can find in motels.

The phone will flash a sort of strobe light, and they'll also switch out the fire alarm if it's not already the proper type (flashes and vibrates the bed too methinks).

Ah, very cool. I would much rather wake up to strobe lights than the sound of my alarm clock. I hate that sound. Sometimes I set my cell phone alarm instead just so that I don't have to hear that horrible alarm sound. :mad:

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I am genuinely curious and not at all trying to be snarky: how do alarm clocks work for deaf people? :shrug:

There is a little vibrating disk that goes under the pillow. I am not totally deaf but I do have pretty significant hearing loss and bought one a while ago. It definetly took some getting used to but I have quite gotten used to not hearing that god awful honkin noise my old alarm made.

/thread drift

As far as the OP's original question, Disney's services are pretty good. Allearsnet.com and the Passporter Book For Your Special Needs cover everything you should need to know. Some of the WDW interpreters are excellent and some are just so so. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

MommytoMJM

Call the Cruise Line and tell them that you need an interpreter for the cruise and one will be provided for you. If you are spending any time in the parks, the contact person that you are looking for at WDW is Mark Jones, he coordinates all of the interpreters, knows how all the attractions work, etc.

Upvote 0

robynchic

As a cast member (and deaf ed major), I can tell a decent amount (I'd like to think, at least) about it.

I decided to go watch interpreted shows in Disney/MGM Studios my last full day in WDW over spring break. What I learned:

- The interpreted schedule leaves you with some tight time between shows (if you want to see all interpreted shows). If you get...I think his name was Brian... and a petite woman (for the co-ed shows), they're hilarious when there's nothing really to do (like during the Disney Stars and Motor Cars parade).
- The Beauty and the Beast show, while I didn't particularly care for it when I saw it with my boyfriend over the summer (I'm spoiled- I saw the show on Broadway), is absolutely beautiful when interpreted. It made me want to cry. Seriously.
- In ANY park, go to guest relations between 9:20-9:40 am to get the schedule and to have the interpreter speak to you to answer the questions. It's in the schedule for that time.
- Don't be surprised if you're the only people in the Reserved area (the area is just for people that need interpreting). That happened to me at all but the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular.
- Bring your own little notebook and pen(cil). While the cast members have the stuff available, it's sometimes out of the way, and they'll have to go get it. If you have it with you, it makes things easier for both you AND the CM.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me (but contacting me via AIM would probably be better). Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom