travel to other places with kids

pmacb

Original Poster
Hi folks, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm planning on going across next October with my 7 year old and 4 year old boys, but I have a few questions related to travel that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I wasn't planning on driving, but would like a day outside Disney to go shopping, so my questions are:

1. Can you hire a car anywhere for only 1 day?
2. Can you also hire car seats?
3a. If I just get a taxi, can I request 2 car seats for them?
3b. Who is best to use on the way back to make sure I get car seats?
4. If I wan to go to International Drive for example, can I get a taxi directly from my Disney hotel (we are thinking either the art of animation or pop century) , or do I have to go to the travel centre/disney springs first and get one there?

thanks in advance!

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I’m not sure if you mean rent a car or hire someone to drive you for the day but both are options (renting a car being much cheaper! :) )

taxi, Uber, and Lyft can pick you up at your hotel.

I don’t have kids so I’m not sure on how to request multiple car seats but taxis may be able to accommodate, car rentals I believe have a place to rent car seats as well.
Sorry I can’t much on the car seat front!

pmacb

Original Poster
I’m not sure if you mean rent a car or hire someone to drive you for the day but both are options (renting a car being much cheaper! :) )

taxi, Uber, and Lyft can pick you up at your hotel.

I don’t have kids so I’m not sure on how to request multiple car seats but taxis may be able to accommodate, car rentals I believe have a place to rent car seats as well.
Sorry I can’t much on the car seat front!

thanks, Its the car seat thing that worries me. I was kind of talking about both to be honest. Im just trying to work out how easy it would be to pick up/drop off a car for 1 day if I drive myself, and if I get a taxi, what are the odds on getting 2 seats 🤔

awoogala

we do lyft all the time- the car seats might be an issue. I am not sure how to request one with car seats.
The minnie vans will drive on property only, and to/from the airport- they are through the lyft app, but are nice minivans with car seats and Disney employed drivers. They will cost a bit more than the average Lyft.
Your cheapest option would be a car rental with car seats.

Weather_Lady

Given the ages of your kids, all you need is a booster for the 4-year-old. If making arrangements for a car with such a seat turns out to be too big of a hassle, you might consider bringing your own booster from home. (At least, if it's the size of the ones we used to use, which were small enough to throw in a medium-sized tote bag if we wanted to take them somewhere.)

dreamfinder

Many car rental agencies will also have car seats, however alot of times they are first come/first serve, and are of questionable origin. Car seats should only be used for so many years, and so much damage, and I wouldn't trust that a rented one will meet those requirements.

Lyft & Uber both have ways to request car seats, but they are only listed as working in specific towns, of which I don't believe Orlando is one.

You can buy decent/booster car seats for < $50, so if travelling off property is a must have, I'd suggest you look into those options.

DisneyDreamer08

Given the ages of your kids, all you need is a booster for the 4-year-old. If making arrangements for a car with such a seat turns out to be too big of a hassle, you might consider bringing your own booster from home. (At least, if it's the size of the ones we used to use, which were small enough to throw in a medium-sized tote bag if we wanted to take them somewhere.)

While this is legally true, most people use car seats well beyond 4 for safety reasons. My four years old is in a high back, 5 point harness and my almost nine year old is in a backless booster. :)

A 4 year old should ideally still be in a 5 point harness and the 7 year old should be in a booster. Check out Car Seats for the Littles or Car-Seat dot org for more info on this if you are interested in the safety research and seat recommendations. The legal standards for car seats are woefully behind the safety research, and it takes a long time for them to catch up to what is proven to be best practice, both in law and in cultural practice.

Personally, I would fly with the 4 year old in their car seat on the plane for the Disney trip if you are going to need one at all because I have zero trust in the baggage people not to break a car seat, and gate check still puts it in the cargo hold where it can be damaged. There are plenty of lightweight, inexpensive car seats out there you could take with you. Our last vacation was not to Disney. We flew and rented a car that we used daily, and so my 5 year old rode in her seat on the plane and then we used it in the rental for her. I know the history of our seat and trust it. My older kids (8 and 10) brought travel boosters called a BubbleBum. We rented from Hertz and I saw that they had what looked like brand new car seats to rent. That may be fine for one day, but it can get expensive to rent them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom