Travel Insurance Understanding

jwpjr

Hey all,

In the process of booking my first trip to WDW with the kids, and I see that Disney offers Travel Insurance through Arch. For my trip, it would be $177 for all 4 of us going.

For the price of the trip, I really do not care about spending an extra $177 if it's going to be beneficial, however, we are not flying to Orlando; we're driving. It looks like the main advantage of the insurance is that it covers bag delays, baggage loss, rental car damage, etc -- all which doesn't apply to me.

It does also mention that it covers the cancellation due to "illness, injury and non-medical reasons such as job loss, military service and more", however, I talked with Disney, and the cost of cancellation (without insurance) up to 2 days before check in is $200.

Do you think it's worth it to get the insurance? Or do you think it's most beneficial to people who are flying in, and some unforeseen circumstance causes their flight to be cancelled?

DisneyJoe

It does also mention that it covers the cancellation due to "illness, injury and non-medical reasons such as job loss, military service and more", however, I talked with Disney, and the cost of cancellation (without insurance) up to 2 days before check in is $200.

Do you think it's worth it to get the insurance?
If things such as illness, death in the family etc happen DURING your trip, insurance can be of great benefit.

Only you can assess those risks.

That being said, if you go on a cruise, I always recommend insurance

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'm assuming that since you are driving you are a US citizen. If you are not, then check with your health carrier. One key benefit of TI is the medical portion. A lot of companies don't cover internationally. Meaning any "accident" or serious illness is on your dime.

Also, you can insure your trip with anyone. So shop around. Allianz, Travelguard, Chubb, etc may or may not have lower costs and they may or may not have better coverage options.

Upvote 0

jwpjr

Original Poster
I'm assuming that since you are driving you are a US citizen. If you are not, then check with your health carrier. One key benefit of TI is the medical portion. A lot of companies don't cover internationally. Meaning any "accident" or serious illness is on your dime.

Also, you can insure your trip with anyone. So shop around. Allianz, Travelguard, Chubb, etc may or may not have lower costs and they may or may not have better coverage options.

Yes, I am in the US, and I do have good medical insurance already, which is why I’m questioning the expense. That being said, I can see the value in having it if (as the above poster mentioned) something were to happen during the trip.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Only you can decide what is best for you.
That said I have never purchased travel insurance for a Disney vacation.
I do recommend travel insurance if traveling out of the country.
I was glad that I had it when I had to cancel my Europe trip 48hrs prior due to suddenly discovering I had hyperthyroiditis.
I would also definitely recommend it for cruises.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The cost of the insurance sounds like a lot but it is minimal compared to the cost of the Disney trip for four. For the four of you thats only $44.25 / person, the cost of a cheap meal. We take the insurance for the unexpected chance something occurs. Its just a roll of the dice wether youll be the one or not. For peace of mind wed rather take it on as part of our trip budgeting. Bad things happen and if you feel lucky and willing to do without it then youll save some bucks, if not youll be out more.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom