Travel from Philly area to NYC port

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Does anybody have experience traveling from the Philly area to NYC for a cruise? I am booked on NYC-San Juan for this fall, starting to feel like it may happen after all so I'm trying to put things together. Originally I was planning on getting a hotel nearby the night before, but we wouldn't get there till late anyway, so exploring NYC wouldn't be an option in that scenario. Also considering a towncar/limo rental early that morning to take us directly to Port and eliminate the need for any taxi etc after a hotel stay. I could drive but I've heard that is a nightmare and in that case I'd have to fly back to NYC then drive home, which I'd like to avoid if possible. Any thoughts?

Phonedave

So you are not returning to NYC correct? This is a one way cruise?

If it were me, I would go up the day before and rent a hotel in the area - as in NYC. I would not rent one in New Jersey and then plan on going over in the AM. I have seen the West Side Highway back up, I have seen the GWB and both tunnels back up. I have seen busses fly through when cars are at a stand still and I have see the opposite. I also would not plan on driving up the day of.

There are plenty of decent, moderately priced, hotels within walking distance of the cruise terminal, and if it rains, a taxi is an option.

Especially since you are only going one way, I would pay the cost of a town car up to NYC the night before, and then a hotel room. I don't know how late you mean by late, but the cruise terminal is near a number of attractions and restaurants. You would not be "exploring" but you could walk along the river, go to a restaurant, etc. The Circle Line Tours and Intrepid are right there too, but you may be getting in too late for that.

One other option if you don't want to go into NYC the night before is to stay in Weehawken NJ and take the NJ Waterway Ferry out of Port Imperial. The ferry terminal in Manhattan is walkable to the cruise terminal as well. It's not like it is next door, and if you have a load of luggage I would not do it, but it is a possibility, and the ferry rarely (never say never) is delayed like the bridges and tunnels can be. When I used to have a job that required me to be in Manhattan to meet clients, I would drive to Weehawken and take the ferry over.

DisneyDoug85

Original Poster
So you are not returning to NYC correct? This is a one way cruise?

If it were me, I would go up the day before and rent a hotel in the area - as in NYC. I would not rent one in New Jersey and then plan on going over in the AM. I have seen the West Side Highway back up, I have seen the GWB and both tunnels back up. I have seen busses fly through when cars are at a stand still and I have see the opposite. I also would not plan on driving up the day of.

There are plenty of decent, moderately priced, hotels within walking distance of the cruise terminal, and if it rains, a taxi is an option.

Especially since you are only going one way, I would pay the cost of a town car up to NYC the night before, and then a hotel room. I don't know how late you mean by late, but the cruise terminal is near a number of attractions and restaurants. You would not be "exploring" but you could walk along the river, go to a restaurant, etc. The Circle Line Tours and Intrepid are right there too, but you may be getting in too late for that.

One other option if you don't want to go into NYC the night before is to stay in Weehawken NJ and take the NJ Waterway Ferry out of Port Imperial. The ferry terminal in Manhattan is walkable to the cruise terminal as well. It's not like it is next door, and if you have a load of luggage I would not do it, but it is a possibility, and the ferry rarely (never say never) is delayed like the bridges and tunnels can be. When I used to have a job that required me to be in Manhattan to meet clients, I would drive to Weehawken and take the ferry over.
Yes sorry, its a one way NYC-San Juan. So ill need to get to NYC, Cruise to San Juan, then fly back (preferably to Philly). The reason I say it'll be late in the day if we do travel the day before is because we want to limit the amount of days of school the kids miss. So in that scenario they'll go to school friday, then we'll head up to NYC to our hotel for the night. Walking along the river, going to a restaurant etc sounds good, so maybe that's the route we'll go. A hotel within walking distance of port seems like a great option for us for sure.

So, if you're getting a town car anyway, you'd still do it the night before (plus hotel) rather than early AM the day of debarkation and have it drop us right at port (if that's possible)? Just to avoid traffic issues I assume?

Phonedave

Yes sorry, its a one way NYC-San Juan. So ill need to get to NYC, Cruise to San Juan, then fly back (preferably to Philly). The reason I say it'll be late in the day if we do travel the day before is because we want to limit the amount of days of school the kids miss. So in that scenario they'll go to school friday, then we'll head up to NYC to our hotel for the night. Walking along the river, going to a restaurant etc sounds good, so maybe that's the route we'll go. A hotel within walking distance of port seems like a great option for us for sure.

So, if you're getting a town car anyway, you'd still do it the night before (plus hotel) rather than early AM the day of debarkation and have it drop us right at port (if that's possible)? Just to avoid traffic issues I assume?

If you find a hotel near the cruise port, there are a number of things you can do in that area that do not require reservations that are open relatively later. The Highline is open and free, you can take a look at The Shed and marvel at its sliding roof, you can look at (and maybe get onto) the Vessel and go what the heck is that thing. That is all in Hudson Yards, which is right by the Javits Center. You can also just walk along the river. The Intrepid may not be open that late, buy you can still see it (It's hard to miss an aircraft carrier). There is a bowling alley right there too (I have never been there, but I have walked by it a bunch). Not sure if your kids are into Pokemon GO, but there are loads of Stops in that area to keep them busy.

As for arriving the day before. I am paranoid like that, and many other people recommend it as well. A cruise is not like, well, a trip to WDW. If you miss your plane to WDW, you can maybe catch the next plane out, or go the next day. Yeah, you will miss a day, but you can still salvage your vacation. If you miss your cruise, unless you can somehow manage a short notice flight to it's next port of call and meet the ship, your whole vacation is done.

My brother lives in NJ less than 15 miles from the Cruise Terminal - it should be a 20 minute trip. Last time they took a cruise out of there his brother in law drove them over and had to basically drop them off on the side of the West Side Highway because they almost did not make it. Granted, they may have not left as early as I would have, but there was also some massive traffic that day.

I live 35 miles from the Bayonne NJ Cruise terminal (where I usually cruise out of) and leave my house around 11 AM for a 5 PM departure.

I hate to say it as somebody who lives in this area, but traffic in the NYC metro area is beyond unpredictable and I leave myself plenty of buffer whenever I go somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom