Travel agent?

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Does anyone have thoughts on a travel agent to book a cruise? We would have 4-5 staterooms. Maybe February 2021 or summer 2021. Replacing a cruise that was canceled July 2020.

Perks are nice, if the TA offers those.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
We have gone directly to Holland America and they were fantastic on booking our cruise. IMO you don't need a TA, we used a TA once and she screwed everything up.
That’s definitely my feelings on a WDW vacation. My mom (she’s paying) wants a TA, so I said I would reach out.
we are planning a DCL Cruise. If it was just my famil unit I would definitely just do it myself. But there will be 14-17 of us. The planning does get complicated.

Phonedave

I will second this.

A travel agent does not add to the cost - the get paid by the cruise line, not you. They also may offer additional credits.

Most of the time, and definitely with DCL because of the way they price, you are not going to get cheaper rates on your own.

I worked with Kingdom Konsultants three times booking cruises (and once for a trip to St Lucia). Sure, I could go in and compare prices for different dates and rooms myself, but they did it for me. I sent Marie a note "Can you tell me the price for these room categories, on these sailing dates" and I got a list back the same day. They handled all the bookings, and if there was any problems with the trip I could call them and let them hash it out, instead of trying to do so on a phone on a ship.

NelleBelle

Normally when booking a cruise, I’m booking 1-2 rooms max—but given how many people are going with you, I’d go with a travel agent simply so they can work on the logistics of getting all your rooms together, dining together, etc. I think it would be a lot less stressful than having you or some dedicated family member in charge of all those details. They can also help with arranging flights and accommodations pre-cruise!

Club Cooloholic

I used AAA in the past, and have always found it annoying as I know exactly what I want and seemed to have a better idea than the person I was dealing with, but I wanted the extra shipboard credit. But I have heard great things about the Disney specific travel agencies, and would go with one recommended on this board.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Feel free to reach out to me directly. I will take good care of you and we do offer onboard credits for our Disney cruise clients. Please be sure to mention your post on wdwmagic.
Pam@kingdomkonsultant.com

Pam
Thanks Pam! I gave your information to my mom (she’s the boss and is charge of all the travel agent decisions since she’s paying for the cruise).

Phonedave

I used AAA in the past, and have always found it annoying as I know exactly what I want and seemed to have a better idea than the person I was dealing with, but I wanted the extra shipboard credit. But I have heard great things about the Disney specific travel agencies, and would go with one recommended on this board.

I hate to disparage anybody, but when we used AAA for booking a Celebrity cruise, it was not helpful. We did get some excellent perks, but no real customer service. AAA was not bad, but it just did not feel as if they added anything. We did most of the research ourselves, booked excursions, etc. Basically we sent AAA a check instead of Celebrity.

Club Cooloholic

I hate to disparage anybody, but when we used AAA for booking a Celebrity cruise, it was not helpful. We did get some excellent perks, but no real customer service. AAA was not bad, but it just did not feel as if they added anything. We did most of the research ourselves, booked excursions, etc. Basically we sent AAA a check instead of Celebrity.
Lol exactly my experience. In fact I remember asking about a specific type of room and location and the agent told me none was available even though I could see them available on the Disney cruise site, so I had her check a specific room and hey what do you know she found it lol. My biggest issue with using a travel agent is if you are big planner like me, you have to go through them for any changes, not a big deal for cruise bookings since you know whatbapecific room you get at booking(once they book you can do add ons yourself on the Disney site) but for hotel bookings I always found it annoying any room requests were made through them.

aliceismad

I've not taken a Disney Cruise, but I have used multiple online TAs for 5 or 6 of our cruises. I've used those TAs specifically because they offered the best onboard credit or other perk at the time. (We particularly like paid gratuities as a perk.) However, we have really had very little interaction with those TAs and were not concerned with customer service for things like arranging dining times with other cabins, etc.

If you're just looking for the best perks, you might google cruise compete. If you're looking for a TA to make arrangements for your multiple cabins and family members, I'd try someone like Kingdom Konsultants that has a good reputation for complicated arrangements and personal service specific to Disney Cruise Line.

Last edited:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'll "ditto" that.

A TA is a great asset when things go wrong. I've booked four cruises with KK (a September cruise hopefully still included), they give onboard credits and know the "tricks of the trade" dealing with DCL. I know of at least two occasions where they've assisted dealing with DCL/Disney that I simply couldn't have taken care of myself.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
@Phonedave we do book Celebrity and we may be putting out a special from the agency soon. Keep us in mind

Pam

DisneyJoe

I've not taken a Disney Cruise, but I have used multiple online TAs for 5 or 6 of our cruises. I've used those TAs specifically because they offered the best onboard credit or other perk at the time. (We particularly like paid gratuities as a perk.) However, we have really had very little interaction with those TAs and were not concerned with customer service for things like arranging dining times with other cabins, etc.

If you're just looking for the best perks, you might google cruise compete. If you're looking for a TA to make arrangements for your multiple cabins and family members, I'd try someone like Kingdom Konsultants that has a good reputation for complicated arrangements and personal service specific to Disney Cruise Line.
As you mention, when you used those TA's for their low pricing perks, you got no service, that is the trade off. That is what cruise compete would give you, as well as a place like Costco.

I highly recommend Kingdom Konsultants for the best service.

aliceismad

As you mention, when you used those TA's for their low pricing perks, you got no service, that is the trade off. That is what cruise compete would give you, as well as a place like Costco.

I highly recommend Kingdom Konsultants for the best service.
I wouldn't say no service from the TAs I have used. Some have moved my room for me, arranged a particular dining time or gotten a reservation, etc. One gave us a special gift on our daughter's first cruise. For simple things, they have been just fine. Of course that is not the case for ALL online TAs. I would certainly check a BBB rating before booking. Frankly, I've gotten better service with those TAs than by booking directly with NCL.

Phonedave

@Phonedave we do book Celebrity and we may be putting out a special from the agency soon. Keep us in mind

Pam

Will do. We normally book Celebrity on our own because it's a simple on line interface, we have done it a number of times, and it is a simple itinerary for us - we sail out of Bayonne, so we just drive there - :). But if you have specials, that is something to think about.

We very likely will be re-booking a COVID canceled cruise. It is still not canceled but it's a end of July Bermuda cruise. The CDC order ends two days before the cruise, and Bermuda still requires a 14 day quarantine IF (and that is a big IF) they give you permission to enter the country - so not thinking its going to happen. I don't know if you get involved in rebooking with credits or not.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Will do. We normally book Celebrity on our own because it's a simple on line interface, we have done it a number of times, and it is a simple itinerary for us - we sail out of Bayonne, so we just drive there - :). But if you have specials, that is something to think about.

We very likely will be re-booking a COVID canceled cruise. It is still not canceled but it's a end of July Bermuda cruise. The CDC order ends two days before the cruise, and Bermuda still requires a 14 day quarantine IF (and that is a big IF) they give you permission to enter the country - so not thinking its going to happen. I don't know if you get involved in rebooking with credits or not.
We've only had cancellations so far with Celebrity. They are taking forever to refund a client that had their cruise cancelled in March. As long as they allow us to do it, we do it.

Pam

Phonedave

We've only had cancellations so far with Celebrity. They are taking forever to refund a client that had their cruise cancelled in March. As long as they allow us to do it, we do it.

Pam

Well, now it is canceled - we got the email last night.

We have to think about our re-booking options. I'm not sure if we can get a TA involved or not. We have the options of just moving our cruise to next year (same cruise, same time frame, same perks) or getting the %125 future cruise credit and then seeing what we can book. We have to make a decision on that by June 10.

If you as a TA can work with future cruise credits and still get paid, then let me know. The direct move of a cruise can only be done by us calling Celebrity.

To compound the issue, its not just us cruising, but friends of ours as well, but the entire reservation is under our control.

Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom