• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Travel agent that offers the most onboard credits?

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
Hey there. I'm booking my first cruise soon and we would like to use a travel agent to take advantage of onboard credits. I know different agencies have different offers. Can anyone recommend a great agency? Thanks!!

ChuckElias

In my opinion, maximizing your OBC should not be your primary concern. Yes, I know everybody likes to get the credit, but what you really want is an agent who is going to hold your hand through all your planning. There's a LOT to know about DCL, and a knowledgeable agent is worth his weight in gold for a first-timer. He's going to save you enormous amounts of time and stress throughout your booking and planning process.

Talk to a couple different agents, pick one that communicates well and really knows the product. Almost all agencies that specialize in Disney give OBCs. But keep in mind that your on-board credit comes directly out of the agent's commission. So they're providing you an incredibly valuable service AND giving up part of their annual income.

You'll love your cruise, so I hope you love your agent, too.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
In my opinion, maximizing your OBC should not be your primary concern. Yes, I know everybody likes to get the credit, but what you really want is an agent who is going to hold your hand through all your planning. There's a LOT to know about DCL, and a knowledgeable agent is worth his weight in gold for a first-timer. He's going to save you enormous amounts of time and stress throughout your booking and planning process.

Talk to a couple different agents, pick one that communicates well and really knows the product. Almost all agencies that specialize in Disney give OBCs. But keep in mind that your on-board credit comes directly out of the agent's commission. So they're providing you an incredibly valuable service AND giving up part of their annual income.

You'll love your cruise, so I hope you love your agent, too.
Gotcha. Got any reccos?

Hey there. I'm booking my first cruise soon and we would like to use a travel agent to take advantage of onboard credits. I know different agencies have different offers. Can anyone recommend a great agency? Thanks!!
Check aavacations.com from American Airlines. We saved a lot going that route and I was able to google or read forums for most of the rest and didn’t feel surprised. We are the type of family that enjoys researching the stops and picking our own excursions vs leaving it to a travel agent to spend my money :) The incentives change week to week but sometimes are incredibly aggressive around Christmas/new year

However - if you do need “handholding” or someone else to handle every single detail of your trip as mentioned above then interview a few Disney specific groups not general travel agents

First cruise - research where you are more/less likely to get sick on boat and follow the advice. We let an agent pick our room once and 3 of us spent the entire trip so sick we couldn’t leave the room. We researched and picked ourselves next and had an amazing experience. (None of is get car sick or boat sick usually)

And have fun!!!

DisneyJoe

We saved a lot going that route and I was able to google or read forums for most of the rest and didn’t feel surprised. We are the type of family that enjoys researching the stops and picking our own excursions vs leaving it to a travel agent to spend my money

However - if you do need “handholding” or someone else to handle every single detail of your trip as mentioned above then interview a few Disney specific groups not general travel agents
Travel agents/consultants will do as much or as little for you as you want - they work for you and are there to give you advice. You can still do all of your planning if you prefer, and you will still have the benefit of their onboard credits that they give you for booking with them.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
We have been helping first time cruisers for years! Onboard credits are just an extra little perk that we offer. We do as much or as little as you need help with. We have people that tell us exactly what they want and we take care of it or they are welcome to book their own excursions, etc. We will also walk you through every aspect if it is needed.

Pam

aliceismad

I've never done a DCL cruise, so I'm sure there are Disney-specific folks who do great, but for general cruises, I've used cruise compete . com a couple of times to see what various online agents offer. But we only use them to book the cruise and do the rest ourselves.

DisSplash

@ChuckElias is so right -- it is all about finding a TA who "communicates well and really knows the product." I can honestly say that with some trial and error, I finally found that with one of Kingdom Konsultants' TA's.

I booked my first 2 Disney cruises through a different "Disney-related agency who shall not be named," with the same TA, and the second time around she was far less friendly and seemingly annoyed with some of my questions I asked about things I had forgotten - there are usually 2 years between our cruises, and while I remember the fun experience, I do not remember all of the admin details. I did not feel that simply sending me an email with the line "Check [name your website here]" was responsive, nor was it the friendly approach I was promised. The way I look at it, your TA should be just like one of those websites -- a resource with answers. She was not, and was really not very communicative with me at all, and I got the impression that she did not care.

And so, for our 3rd cruise (and currently our 4th cruise for Dec 2019) I decided to check out the friendly faces at Kingdom Konsultants, since I am a huge fan of the WDWmagic site, and I could see from some of their postings that they appeared to be pretty involved and helpful with answering travel questions, and that they were actively engaged with the Disney community at large. I am so glad that I did that as my new TA Carissa is THE BEST!! She sends me unsolicited detailed emails with reminder dates for things (so helpful to two busy working parents who cannot remember their names at times), is very responsive to all of my emails, answering every question I ask her with enthusiasm, good tips, and genuine friendliness. And when I mentioned something last cruise about trying to figure out how to start booking my meet and greets, Palo, and excursions (all things the other TA essentially told me to do for myself on the Disney site), she jumped right in and offered to do it for me!! I was over-the-moon excited (and relieved, as the Disney cruise site can get glitchy). The best part is, when she emailed me the next day with all of my reservations, she booked everything I asked for, and then some, as she picked up a Jedi Academy for my daughter since they were a hot commodity (which my daughter LOVED, by the way), and also booked her for the Princess Meet and Greets on a hunch she would want to do that too (which I had completely forgotten about in light of all of the Star Wars madness)! She was, in short, AMAZING, and proved it again when she booked us our current cruise in a cabin I had hoped for - sitting on the phone so I did not have to on the day that reservations opened up for us poor old Silver Members (working so hard to get to Gold)!

I honestly cannot sing her praises enough, and have been telling anyone interested in Disney all about her. While I personally consider her to be the Gold Standard and would happily give her a Golden Mickey, ;), I am sure that she is not alone and that there are many great Disney TA's out there! Good luck in your search!

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
Thank you guys for all of your responses! I emailed Kingdom Konsultants a few weeks ago for pricing and will follow up with them because we want to book it and they were very quick to respond =) Yay!!

Top Bottom