Trapped on Spaceship Earth - 3/11/18

Creathir

We were on Pirates the week before last (before it closed for refurb) and our boat got stuck RIGHT at the top of the falls.

The lights came on and we got to do a ride evacuation. Was quite awesome.

For the curious: they tie a rope to the boat so it does go down the chute while guests are climbing out, and take people out one at a time.

The end result was a fast pass and a free water bottle, plus some walking backstage.

No pictures backstage of course, but here was our boat sitting at the top of the drop with the lights on...

Attachments

• B82355B7-647E-4E28-8AE8-95633730EF43.jpeg
    B82355B7-647E-4E28-8AE8-95633730EF43.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 439

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
When I lived in California, I visited Disneyland at least two to three times per week from 2010 through 2011. Monsters, Inc. and Splash Mountain regularly went down. However, I was always impressed with how swiftly the process of response and evacuation was handled.

Today was the second time I was at Epcot when an attraction was down for nearly 30 minutes with guests onboard. It was one of those moments when I was reminded of DLRs greater efficiency.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

We were on Pirates the week before last (before it closed for refurb) and our boat got stuck RIGHT at the top of the falls.

The lights came on and we got to do a ride evacuation. Was quite awesome.

For the curious: they tie a rope to the boat so it does go down the chute while guests are climbing out, and take people out one at a time.

The end result was a fast pass and a free water bottle, plus some walking backstage.

No pictures backstage of course, but here was our boat sitting at the top of the drop with the lights on...

I never knew the drop had carved rockwork going all the way down. I just assumed it was an unthemed space because of how dark it is.

Creathir

I never knew the drop had carved rockwork going all the way down. I just assumed it was an unthemed space because of how dark it is.

Come on, what do you think this is, six flags??? ;)

I was pretty surprised as well. The area to the left of the falls was fairly well themed as well, I didn’t get a solid shot of it, but essentially there is a rope and stuff lying there along with rock work and fauna.

castlecake2.0

For attractions it is safety> courtesy/efficiency when attractions go down. Having guests wait 30 mins or so for the ride system to resume is deemed the better option than say having to evac a water flume or multifloor attraction. What if the guest needs mobility assistance? Is carrying a small child? Etc. Not excusing the downtime of course, but sometimes an evac isn’t the first/safest option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom