Transportation tip to DTD

sig

Original Poster
Has anyone expirienced this? I was at MGM and wanted to take the Disney Transportation to DTD, the sign showed service after 3:00 pm only, and no return service to MGM. We were under the impression that we could catch a bus back to at least one of the parks. No such luck, there are only buses to resorts available, for resort guests only. We managed to get by on a technicality, they forgot to change the sign on one of the bus stops at the marketplace showing a bus to the Transportation Station so the driver let us get on. Long story short, apparently there is no way to get back from DTD for non-resort guests except for paying for a cab.

SnowWhite5669

Take a bus back to the Boardwalk Resort, then walk to MGM. It may be a long walk but if it is a nice night it is a lot of fun and it's cheaper than paying for a cab! They won't ask for a room key or proof that you are staying at the resort:)

NowInc

They did this to prevent people from parking at DTD and taking buses to the parks...I am guilty of doing that a few times when i couldnt afford the parking fees ;)

sig

Original Poster
The problem is they have, will and probably are going to ID resort guests to keep the people (like me!) who are staying offsite off of the resort buses. Has anyone else heard differently? It does depend on the driver but, it is still a chance.

Invero

From what I am to understand, the service from the Disney/MGM Studios to the Downtown Disney Marketplace is currently a "test route"

As the sign states... it is a ONE WAY TRIP only... and only to the Marketplace (not Pleasure Island). The reason it is one way, is just as NowInc stated... to prevent people from abusing the DTD parking lot.

Also, keep in mind, Disney Transportation is provided for Disney Resort Guests... so, a Disney Resort Guest can take the bus to the Studios... play around... then go to Downtown Disney... shop... and then go back to thier resort.

sig

Original Poster
I just feel cheated because I come from so far away, it costs so much $$$ to come, I can't afford to stay at a Disney Resort, and therefore cannot use the "Resort Buses" to navigate to DTD.

Invero

Originally posted by sig
I just feel cheated because I come from so far away, it costs so much $$$ to come, I can't afford to stay at a Disney Resort, and therefore cannot use the "Resort Buses" to navigate to DTD.

I'm sorry you feel cheated... but, it's the Resort Guests who pay for the Disney Transportation System... therefore, because they pay premium prices, they get to use our transportation system.

BradleyJ

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

I'm sorry you feel cheated... but, it's the Resort Guests who pay for the Disney Transportation System... therefore, because they pay premium prices, they get to use our transportation system.

Plus, when you send as much as it cost to make a trip to WDW, that the $6.00 parking fee will break you,.

You need need to reconcider your choice of a vacation destination.

amejr999

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
Also, keep in mind, Disney Transportation is provided for Disney Resort Guests...

Actually, I seem to remember that if you have a multi-day pass you are allowed full use of the system. I do think this whole thing is preposterous.

sig

Original Poster
Originally posted by amejr999

Actually, I seem to remember that if you have a multi-day pass you are allowed full use of the system. I do think this whole thing is preposterous.

No doesn't matter if you have a multi-day pass, we had 7 - Day Hoppers. What is Preposterous, the fact that we can't get full use of Disney Transportation or that I brought it up in the first place?

BradleyJ

Originally posted by sig

What is Preposterous, the fact that we can't get full use of Disney Transportation or that I brought it up in the first place?

You are getting full use of the the Transportation.

They just are not providing the routes you want them to.

There is a difference.

FanofDinsey1981

one person suggested taking the bus from DTD to boardwalk, then walking. good idea. there are also boats that travel in good weather, take one of those too!

and in all the years riding busses, I have never been asked to show an ID. if they do, simply get on another resort bus. and do the two bus thing. good luck.

dmspilot00

It says right on the Disney website that a park hopper ticket gives you full use of the transportation system, including monorails, ferry boats, and "motor coaches."

You don't have to stay at a resort to use it.

Invero

Originally posted by BradleyJ

You are getting full use of the the Transportation.

They just are not providing the routes you want them to.

There is a difference.

I think you just hit the nail right on the head... excellent point.

niteobsrvr

It says right on the Disney website that a park hopper ticket gives you full use of the transportation system, including monorails, ferry boats, and "motor coaches."

We touched on this in another thread I believe. Downtown Disney is not a park and does not require a Park Hopper to visit. The park hopper only entitles you to PARK HOP Therefore, transportation to and from Downtown is for resort guests only.

If you arrived at one of the parks in the morning from off property, then it only stands to reason that you can arrive at Downtown the same way. If the Hotel you chose to stay at doesn't offer service to DTD then the issue needs to be taken up with their management or you need to reconsider your hotel choice.

Too many people were using Disney busses as public transit which it is not.

dmspilot00

"With every Park Hopper® Ticket you get:

- Convenient Walt Disney World® transportation -- monorails, ferryboats, and motor coaches "

It does not say "Convenient Walt Disney World® transportation from park to park" or anything like that.

If you are not staying at a Disney Resort that certainly does not mean that you have a car. However, I do agree that if you have a car there is no reason you shouldn't use it, but there are no "exceptions" to the use of transportation feature.

Along the same lines, ferry boats do not go from theme park to theme park, so why would they be included?

Just because it is a "park hopper" ticket has nothing to do with transportation. It is a seperate <i>perk</i> of buying the ticket.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by dmspilot00
"With every Park Hopper® Ticket you get:

- Convenient Walt Disney World® transportation -- monorails, ferryboats, and motor coaches "

It does not say "Convenient Walt Disney World® transportation from park to park" or anything like that.

If you are not staying at a Disney Resort that certainly does not mean that you have a car. However, I do agree that if you have a car there is no reason you shouldn't use it, but there are no "exceptions" to the use of transportation feature.

Along the same lines, ferry boats do not go from theme park to theme park, so why would they be included?

Just because it is a "park hopper" ticket has nothing to do with transportation. It is a seperate <i>perk</i> of buying the ticket.

Taking things out of Context does not justify your reasoning. Please look at the following link and read it in its entirety. Park Hopper Ticket

The following lines of text appear just before the part you quoted.

Unlimited admission* to the four Disney Theme Parks: Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney-MGM Studios, and Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park.
The flexibility to go from Theme Park to Theme Park on the same day.

Also, for the park hopper plus please see this link:

Park Hopper Plus

Notice toward the bottom of the page the following quote:

PLUS admissions do not include Park Hopper privileges.
With each PARK HOPPER PLUS, you also receive:

The flexibility to go from Theme Park to Theme Park on the same day
Convenient Walt Disney World® transportation -- monorails, ferryboats, and motor coaches .

I think it is pretty clear that if you aren't staying in a Disney resort then you are entitled to Theme Park to Theme Park transportation only. In the case of the water parks, there never has been transportation to the theme parks with the exception that the routes are often combined with one of the park's buses.

Also in regards to the ferry boats, neither ferry boats nor monorails go to all the parks. However, you will be hard pressed to park hop from the Magic Kingdom without use of these two modes of transportation. They are the only two methods to get from MK to the Tcket Center to board the bus to AK or MGM or the monorail to Epcot.

dmspilot00

I did not take anything out of context. It is a seperate bullet point and a seperate idea--use of WDW transportation.

With each PARK HOPPER PLUS, you also receive:

The flexibility to go from Theme Park to Theme Park on the same day

and, you also receive:

Convenient Walt Disney World® transportation -- monorails, ferryboats, and motor coaches

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom