Transfer points

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have plans to use all of my points this year or I would consider transferring some. In case you didn’t know you can purchase up to 24 one time use points direct from DVC when booking. They charge $19 a point and can only be used at the 7 month window (cannot be used for bookings between 7 and 11 months using home resort priority). I know you need more than 24 but just throwing it out there in case you get closer.

I also think Disboards has a point rental section on their site as does Mouseowners. You may get more traction over there if you don’t get too many bites here. There’s no specific area on this site for renting points.

Good luck :)

Lensman

I also think Disboards has a point rental section on their site as does Mouseowners. You may get more traction over there if you don’t get too many bites here. There’s no specific area on this site for renting points.
I agree about Disboards. I think they also have some kind of mild vetting in their paid rental plans.

Do note that renting and trading points is a "trust transaction" in that there must be a certain amount of trust between the parties even though there is typically a written contract involved. That's why there's often a minimum post requirement. I've also noticed that they pretty much only allow "offer" posts rather than "wanted" posts.

I've pretty much only seen transfers and rentals between "board friends" here. Not saying anonymous rentals don't happen here, just setting expectations.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Technically the rules of DVC state that the member transferring points cannot receive compensation for the transfer. It’s supposed to be for moving points between multiple contracts you own and/or sharing extra points with friends and family that are also owners. I have no idea how they would know you were receiving compensation or what the penalty would be for violating the terms.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/points/Transfering_rules_final.pdf

Club Cooloholic

Technically the rules of DVC state that the member transferring points cannot receive compensation for the transfer. It’s supposed to be for moving points between multiple contracts you own and/or sharing extra points with friends and family that are also owners. I have no idea how they would know you were receiving compensation or what the penalty would be for violating the terms.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/points/Transfering_rules_final.pdf
For years scalping a ticket was illegal too

Club Cooloholic

There is also a Facebook page about renting points, people post what they have or are looking for. I have about 24 points I would be ok moving before next sept

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For years scalping a ticket was illegal too
True, and there’s little chance of getting caught in either case.

I do find it interesting that DVC allows you to rent points for cash (as long as you aren’t renting points as a business) but they prohibit transferring points to another member for cash. Isn’t it pretty much the same to DVC renting the points vs transferring them? I always found that an odd little quirk in their rules.

Club Cooloholic

I do find it interesting that DVC allows you to rent points for cash (as long as you aren’t renting points as a business) but they prohibit transferring points to another member for cash. Isn’t it pretty much the same to DVC renting the points vs transferring them? I always found that an odd little quirk in their rules.
My guess and this is just a guess is that if they allowed you to to transfer points into an account for money(and there was no limit to how many times people could dump points in your account) you could end up with a few enterprising folks who take point dumps and the make and control reservations for others, cutting out the middle man procedure in how it operates now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My guess and this is just a guess is that if they allowed you to to transfer points into an account for money(and there was no limit to how many times people could dump points in your account) you could end up with a few enterprising folks who take point dumps and the make and control reservations for others, cutting out the middle man procedure in how it operates now.
Makes sense. At a minimum even if you couldn’t resell the compiled points to someone you could get a cheap room by buying 5 to 10 points from a few different people.

iflyjetzzz

My understanding is that Disney doesn't want any legal liability should a point transfer go sideways - either someone doesn't get paid or someone pays but doesn't get points. Once the transaction's complete, there's no reversal available.

nickys

Premium Member

You can only have one transfer per use year (per membership), either in or out - not both. Worth knowing, for the OP not you.

cmwade77

There are ways around this, for example, you sell them a Disney Pin for the dollar amount of the transfer, then they are paying for the pin (albeit an overpriced pin) and not the points and thus means you aren't getting compenaated for the transfer.

cmwade77

My understanding is that Disney doesn't want any legal liability should a point transfer go sideways - either someone doesn't get paid or someone pays but doesn't get points. Once the transaction's complete, there's no reversal available.
The same thing can happen with rentals, so this makes no sense.

nickys

Premium Member
The same thing can happen with rentals, so this makes no sense.

With a rental, the owner is control of the reservation until the moment of check-in.

There really isn’t anything the DVC Member needs to ask DVC to help with in a rental. If the owner isn’t paid, they can cancel the reservation and keep the points.

With a transfer, if the owner isn’t paid, the points are gone. And that’s when they would ask DVC to transfer the points back etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With a rental, the owner is control of the reservation until the moment of check-in.

There really isn’t anything the DVC Member needs to ask DVC to help with in a rental. If the owner isn’t paid, they can cancel the reservation and keep the points.

With a transfer, if the owner isn’t paid, the points are gone. And that’s when they would ask DVC to transfer the points back etc.
This makes sense. When renting points there’s always a risk that the owner cancels your reservation after you have paid for the points but the risk is on the renter not the point owner.

I think what @Club Cooloholic said also makes sense for why it’s within the rules to rent your points for money but not transfer them. Let’s say there are a bunch of people with a handful of points left over from the prior use year that would expire unused. Someone could make a business out of buying those “useless” points on the cheap by having them transferred into their account. Once all of those 3 and 5 point transfers add up to enough points for a weekly rental you rent them out to someone for a profit. Disney wants owners to be able to rent their points as a perk for the owners in case they have a year or two they can’t use the points. They don’t want people exploiting the system for a profit as a business.

correcaminos

This makes sense. When renting points there’s always a risk that the owner cancels your reservation after you have paid for the points but the risk is on the renter not the point owner.

I think what @Club Cooloholic said also makes sense for why it’s within the rules to rent your points for money but not transfer them. Let’s say there are a bunch of people with a handful of points left over from the prior use year that would expire unused. Someone could make a business out of buying those “useless” points on the cheap by having them transferred into their account. Once all of those 3 and 5 point transfers add up to enough points for a weekly rental you rent them out to someone for a profit. Disney wants owners to be able to rent their points as a perk for the owners in case they have a year or two they can’t use the points. They don’t want people exploiting the system for a profit as a business.
Only issue with your idea is that you can only get 1 transfer in or out a year. So you can't use pool them and make a profit anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom