Tragic News. Joe Ranft, dead at 45

General Grizz

Original Poster
ranft.jpg

TOP STORY
Joe Ranft, dead at 45
Confirming rumors we've been hearing all day, The Hollywood Reporter and AWN report that Joe Ranft was killed Tuesday afternoon in a car accident. Ranft worked on many of the most beloved modern classics out of Disney and Pixar, including: writing for The Brave Little Toaster, Oliver & Company, The Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Toy Story (for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay), A Bug's Life, and Fantasia 2000; as storyboard supervisor for The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach; and voicing parts in A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, and Finding Nemo. Ranft was also working as head of story on Pixar's next film, Cars. In a statement released Wednesday, Pixar said "Joe was an important and beloved member of the Pixar family, and his loss is of great sorrow to all of us and to the animation industry as a whole". A Pixar spokesman added, "Joe was a big part of Pixar's soul". An interview from 2002 is available in Pixar's Artist Corner. Cartoon Brew has running updates with news and responses to Ranft's passing.

from animated-news.com

:( :( :( :( :(

Woody13

Aug. 18, 2005

Joe Ranft, Pixar Animation's head of story, 45

By Sheigh Crabtree and Cynthia Littleton
Joe Ranft, Pixar Animation Studios' head of story and a founding member of the animation company's creative team, died Tuesday afternoon in a car accident in Mendocino County, Calif. He was 45.

"Joe was an important and beloved member of the Pixar family, and his loss is of great sorrow to all of us and to the animation industry as a whole," Pixar said in a statement Wednesday.

A spokeswoman for the Mendocino County Sheriff-Coroner's Office confirmed Ranft was one of two people who died when their car veered off the road while traveling northbound on Highway 1.

According to the California Highway Patrol, the accident occurred at about 3 p.m. Tuesday as the driver of the 2004 Honda Element tried to regain control of the car after swerving when he headed into a tight left curve. The car plunged 130 feet over the side into the ocean, the CHP said.

The driver, identified by the coroner's office as Elegba Earl, 32, of Los Angeles, was also killed in the crash. The third person in the car, identified by the CHP as Eric Frierson, 39, of Los Angeles, survived by climbing through the car's sun roof. He was hospitalized with moderate injuries at Mendocino Coast Hospital, according to Officer Robert Simas of the CHP office in Ukiah, Calif.

Ranft worked in both story development and as a storyboard artist at Pixar for the past decade. He was a co-writer on 1995's "Toy Story," for which he earned an Oscar nomination, and 1998's "A Bug's Life." Before Pixar, Ranft was a leading member of the story department at Walt Disney Feature Animation, where he was a writer on 1991's "Beauty and the Beast" and 1994's "The Lion King."

Ranft also voiced key Pixar characters such as Heimlich in "Bug's" and Wheezy the Penguin in "Toy Story 2."

Born in Southern California in 1960, Ranft was a classmate of director John Lasseter's at the California Institute of the Arts in the 1970s. After two years at CalArts, he joined Disney in 1980. He joined Pixar in 1992.

"Joe was a big part of Pixar's soul," a Pixar spokesperson said.

<!--endclickprintinclude-->

MayKingMajikHpn

Tragic news, I feel bad for his family, and I wish them all the best. But atleast now he is in a better place surrounded by all the candy corn his alter-ego might need.

MissM

mickeysaver said:
NOOOOOOO!!! Not Wheezy! :cry: This is so sad.
I know. Wheezy is a favorite of mine.

How tragic. I'd never heard of him myself, but reading his credits is reading a who's who of amazing animation contribution.

He and his skills will clearly be missed.
-m

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom