Trader Sam's Closed for Refurbishment - Does That Mean The CM's Too?

TP2000

Original Poster
Just saw this in the Sunday Register... Trader Sam's is apparently closed for refurbishment? Who knew? And I wonder what they are doing here?

In my opinion, and after several visits there over the last few years, Trader Sam's is one of those things that has so much potential. But it's consistently let down by the typically lackluster staff of the Disneyland Hotel. The cocktail waitresses are minimally polite yet obviously bored and detached and just waiting to count their tips at the end of their shift. Their uniforms are kind of sloppy, their look is kind of sloppy, their service skills are kind of sloppy, and the whole experience just comes off as... kind of sloppy.

Maybe the Trader Sam's CM's are getting a refurbishment too? Tall order, I know.

Anyone know when this place is going to reopen? It's probably just closed to repair flooring or the gas lines to the tiki torches or something mundane like that. I just wish they could send all the Disneyland Hotel CM's to real hotel training from a company like Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton or Hotel Montage in the meantime. :rolleyes:

0907_fea_ocr-l-dlupdate-12.jpg

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I've never been. Sounds like typical Disney lounge service from your description. I mean, I like some of the servers at Carthay, but they're also...kind of sloppy. Maybe I just know how to bring it out of them.

D

Deleted member 107043

I agree with your assessment TP. TSs was awesome when it first opened. It was a novel concept for the DLH and a pleasant escape from the parks yet a full on Disney experience. On the last few visits it felt a bit cheesy and the waitstaff was maybe a notch better than a Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe. Safe to say the place could use some polish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antaundra

I spend a lot of time at Trader Sams when I'm at Disneyland and 5 of the bar tenders there are truly excellent. They have their own signature cocktails and feature seasonal drinks that they promote on twitter. There are some bar tenders who I avoid and the cocktails on the menu aren't anything special. But if you know where to sit, what to order, who to talk to, Trader Sams can live up to its potential.

D

Deleted member 107043

I spend a lot of time at Trader Sams when I'm at Disneyland and 5 of the bar tenders there are truly excellent. They have their own signature cocktails and feature seasonal drinks that they promote on twitter. There are some bar tenders who I avoid and the cocktails on the menu aren't anything special. But if you know where to sit, what to order, who to talk to, Trader Sams can live up to its potential.

The bar staff is really where the place excels, and there's a significant drop in the experience if you aren't seated directly at the bar.

TP2000

Original Poster
But if you know where to sit, what to order, who to talk to, Trader Sams can live up to its potential.

Good to know. And yet, that's not how the hospitality industry is supposed to work, especially at the prices the Disneyland Hotel charges.

Everyone has an off day once in awhile, but consistently the Trader Sam's experience over the last few years has just been... kind of sloppy.

Antaundra

Good to know. And yet, that's not how the hospitality industry is supposed to work, especially at the prices the Disneyland Hotel charges.

Everyone has an off day once in awhile, but consistently the Trader Sam's experience over the last few years has just been... kind of sloppy.
Resort wide service is sub par for the prices they charge. Napa Rose is generally the best but I've even had bad service there. Carthay dinning room seems to be the most uneven which doesn't make sense because that's where they're trying to present the most high end experience.

D.Silentu

That's a shame. As mentioned by @westie, if there's no indoor seating then the experience is diminished; the ambiance is the point. It has been mentioned that if Trader Sam's were to expand it may lose some intimate charm. I say, cut a door to connect to the restaurant space and add a second bar, with complimentary Adventureland themeing.

mikenatcity1

I honestly do not like the service at this Trader Sam's. I can appreciate this being the first but I always have better service at WDW...

peep

A quick glance at the website suggests it'll reopen on the 16th.

I enjoyed Trader Sams when I visited the other year and I'll be back in October, any tips on secret menu options etc?

Stevek

Care to share the twitter handles of those bartenders? Would love to try some different drinks.

As for Sam's, big fan but yes there are definitely good and not so good staff there. Generally, the outside seating staff tends to be the worst of the lot. Slow at times and often un-attentive. Never had a problem with any of the bar staff...all are friendly/chatty. That being said, we sit outside 90% of the time because we enjoy the live music in the evening.

Sam's will reopen the 16th. They are still providing some service outside from what I understand.

SSG

This permit has been floating through the Anaheim building department for months, but doesn't show as issued:

Received BLD2016-05830 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 1150 W MAGIC WAYDisneyland Hotel - Central Courtyard - Tangaroa Terrace - Tiki Bar Development - Tenant Improvement: 175 sq.ft new service bar indoor and existing outdoor dining area for bar on the main level. 245 sq.ft to include a new storage layout, walk in refrig and new slab to fit walking cooler located in the basement. New HVAC and electrical on basement and main level.

Given the short timeframe of the closure, it seems unlikely the described work is being done now.

kkocka

There is zero expansion going on for this Sam's refurb. It's only 10 days. There's just some behind-the-bar work going on that I'm told is much needed. This isn't the refurb as mentioned above by @SSG either. The "big refurb" still doesn't include expanding the interior of the bar thankfully (remember, Tangaroa Terrace is the only quick service location for the Disneyland Hotel). That particular refurb is intended to better service the outside patio, which from what I've been told is intended to add a service bar/more service wells outside, much like Grog Grotto. Currently the service window inside of Sam's is responsible for the pool drinks, patio drinks, and the drinks inside for patrons at tables. Perhaps this is why the OP believes the staff and service is poor. See below. The "big refurb" involves something to the degree of moving Tangaroa Terrace's freezers to the basement so the interior can be shuffled around, so that the patio's service bar can be built (I'm guessing where the inoperative food order touch screens are). Don't quote me on any of that, but I'm fairly certain that's the gist of what's happening.

As far as the staff, I'd say they're pretty excellent overall. I typically only sit at the bar because you get quicker service and I enjoy the conversation with the best bartenders on property, many whom I consider friends. Anyway, I think service will improve if this giant refurb ever happens. The waitstaff tends to be on rotation, with a handful of them having been there since the 2011 opening and another handful being somewhat newish. The veterans are excellent. I can't speak for the newbies because I'm, again, at the bar. It doesn't seem that the discussion is regarding the bartenders though.

D

Deleted member 107043

Another way they could solve for the overcrowding at TS's would be to open another hidden themed bar somewhere either at the DLH, DTD, or the GCH. It's pretty obvious that there's demand for it. Maybe it could be retro-Tomorrowland themed or something like the old WDI designed Encounter bar/restaurant at LAX.

Encounter%20Interior%201.jpg

It's odd that the DLH doesn't have a lobby bar. Might be a good place for an immersively themed watering hole.

Stevek

Another way they could solve for the overcrowding at TS's would be to open another hidden themed bar somewhere either at the DLH, DTD, or the GCH. It's pretty obvious that there's demand for it. Maybe it could be retro-Tomorrowland themed or something like the old WDI designed Encounter bar/restaurant at LAX.

Encounter%20Interior%201.jpg

It's odd that the DLH doesn't have a lobby bar. Might be a good place for an immersively themed watering hole.

They probably don't feel the need given that Steakhouse 55 has a bar which isn't far from the lobby. That being said, I'd love to see another highly themed bar...could/would they re-theme Hearthstone Lounge? Maybe something something like Jock Lindsey's? Could they take over a small part of a convention space in either DL or GC? There is that upstairs area at the DL hotel as well...that rotunda.

kkocka

There's never been a formal lobby bar at the Disneyland Hotel - prior to Sam's was still Lost Bar, which while being the hotel bar was still out near the pool. The Lounge at Steakhouse 55 is a prime opportunity for an upgrade both in service hours (only open during dining hours) and cocktail selection. I'd love to rework the menu to provide quality classic craft cocktails as opposed to the generic, rather unfortunate, Disney Parks cocktail offerings. It has so much potential to drive more business and -gasp- profit and it's a shame that it just sits stagnant.

I definitely agree with the need of another themed bar. WDW gets them because of the high tourism, but DL would certainly prosper with one! When I heard House of Blues was going away, I had my fingers crossed for something akin to Jock Lindsey's. Instead, thus far, were announcements of grand disappointment. I honestly hope Splitsville falls flat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom