Dick Tracy the musical

Phroobar

Original Poster
Was Dick Tracy ever performed as a musical either on or off Broadway? It seems like the perfect fit with the Stephen Sondheim music. They put Newsies on Broadway and it bombed in the box office so why not Tracy?

dicktracy1.jpg

Animaniac93-98

Was **** Tracy ever performed as a musical either on or off Broadway? It seems like the perfect fit with the Stephen Sondheim music. They put Newsies on Broadway and it bombed in the box office so why not Tracy?

dicktracy1.jpg

There was a stage musical Diamond Double Cross, that played at both Disneyland and Disney-MGM Studios.

Robbiem

I never thought of this before but its a great idea. The stylised design of the movie would translate well to the stage IMO.

I really think this is an underrated movie. At the time it was seen as Disney's answer to Batman but the movie is really interesting in its own right. It really tries to invoke the feeling of being in a comic rather than just taking comic characters and placing them in a more realistic setting. The fact that it was done ‘old school’ rather than CGI and motion capture etc makes it even more incredible

Matt_Black

Yeah, it's an interesting film. As far as Disney 90s comic adaptations go, it's no Rocketeer (because that movie was awesome, and now that I think about it, BOTH had Paul Sorvino!), but it's not without it's charm.

I'm not sure if a musical by Disney is feasible though, as Warren Beatty actually was awarded perpetual ownership of the rights after a court case against the Chicago Tribune.

Robbiem

Yeah, it's an interesting film. As far as Disney 90s comic adaptations go, it's no Rocketeer (because that movie was awesome, and now that I think about it, BOTH had Paul Sorvino!), but it's not without it's charm.

I'm not sure if a musical by Disney is feasible though, as Warren Beatty actually was awarded perpetual ownership of the rights after a court case against the Chicago Tribune.

i wonder if thats why its not on Disney + at least here in the uk.

completely Agree about the rocketeer such an underrated movie from my childhood I’d love to see a revival maybe as a Disney+ series so its like the old rocketman style republic serials and isn’t in competition with iron man

Matt_Black

i wonder if thats why its not on Disney + at least here in the uk.

completely Agree about the rocketeer such an underrated movie from my childhood I’d love to see a revival maybe as a Disney+ series so its like the old rocketman style republic serials and isn’t in competition with iron man

There's the new show on Disney Junior which is... cute. It's really like old comic style stories just happened to be set in the modern day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom