TR: Disneyland for the 60th (1st week of June)

Mickey_777

Original Poster
CastleRodent by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

The Wifey and I with our toddler spent 9 great days in SoCal the first week of June so I just wanted to share some thought and photos with my WDWmagic peers. Let me get the not so positive stuff out of the way first…

-Man is it obvious that DL was built in 1955 with no idea that it would ever receive 17 million guests a year. You’re pretty much trapped in whichever land you find yourself once Fantasmic, the Parades, and Fireworks get going. We’d just finished our meal at The Hungry Bear (Turkey Provolone sandwich w/Onion rings, so good) and wifey was like “let’s head out to Tomorrowland”. I laughed in her face. Fantasmic had just started. By the time we hit main street (or area near matterhorn) the parade would be coming through. I couldn’t see 15 feet ahead of me and I was mowing people down with my toddlers stroller. Wasn’t gonna happen. Can’t be done. Worst part of any trip to DL IMO.

The CM are pro’s at crowd control but you can only do so much with what feels like swarms and swarms of people. I’m certain I’ve been in MK with just as many if not more folks during parades and fireworks but I’ve never felt like sardines in a can like out at DL. Like I said, Walt could’ve never known it was gonna get like this. It’ll probably never happen but widening walkways and paths would go a long way.

-IASW out in Anaheim sparkles inside and out. Very impressed. Plus the characters give it a plus for me. I'm not a die-hard in that sense.

IASW by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-The upgrades to Alice are very well done and it’s too bad the Peter Pan refurb wasn’t done by the time our trip came around. All the dark rides (sans Snow White) are a lot of fun. Snow white needs an extra scene so it doesn’t end so abruptly.

-I really wish I had a chance to ride Matterhorn. Lines were so long I just moved on to do other things.

-Casey Jr has to be one of the most underrated attractions at DL? I Loved it. Been to DL 4 times for a combined 12 days since 2010 and I just now rode it. Maybe cause we have a toddler now. Who cares it's awesome. Great views and I love how it fits so snug above the tiny villages and around the hedges. It goes thru caves...just great overall.

Canal by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-We really enjoyed the Nemo Subs this time around. I may actually like it more than “The Seas” at Epcot. I didn’t used to feel that way. Maybe I was paying more attention this time. All the effects are well done and it’s and as an attraction it’s pretty unique.

ALdets by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-Indy is as awesome as ever and probably still ranks as my favorite overall attraction anywhere (I’ve been). The new projections are a nice touch albeit brief.

ALfixtures by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

View by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-The new effects on Big thunder are very well done and will make a great addition to BT at MK if they make it over there. But I found the ride to be too smooth since it's major refurb last year/before. It sorta "glides" now. It's supposed to be the wildest ride in the wilderness. Still fun though.

GPtruck by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

Gulch by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-Grizzly Peak Airfield still has a long way to go to convince me it's a national park. Those trees can't grow fast enough. The new Soarin’ film was take it or leave it in terms of its looks and the overall enjoyment vs the old version. Like most, I wish they’d updated the interior of the queue as well but it looks like that’ll be done with the new film.

tower by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-Shout out to Royal Street Veranda. Both the chowder and gumbo are super tasty. For quckservice, we loved how you could just go up and order a hot breadbowl on a chilly SoCal evening. Food Choices between DL, DCA, and DTD are vastly superior and convenient compared to anything at MK or DHS. Only at Epcot or AK can you eat as yummy. Carnation Café at breakfast is such a treat. Pricey like anything at DL or World but very good. Eating a meal on MS never fails to deliver of awesomeness.

NEsquare by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-For as much slack as WDW guests get, DL gets plenty of...(we'll just call them interesting people) from around Southern Cali. No need to go into detail. And yes you can tell they're not visiting from Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, or Arizona. We were also there on Bat Day with no warning. Not something you see every day and it certainly didn’t affect our day at all.

-We were there for one Grad night and we had no problems at all. Well done kids.

RSRcurve by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

Matersignage by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

RSRface by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-RSR feels a lot slower than Test Track and I still with they'd done something different inside the mountain other than giving me more Radiator Springs and characters we've already seen and taken photos of/with. Don't know what but wish they'd done something else inside. Again, still fun though and the mountain range/rockwork and overall area is spectacular. We spent a lot of time in CarsLand and are glad we did. Maters JJ is very fun. Our son loved it.

Trolley by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

CaliScreamin by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-M&G’s, especially at DCA, are generally handled better out in Anaheim. It’s so much easier for you to get photos with your favorite characters “on the fly” without so much planning. Seems like everywhere you go, and at all times, there are opportunities to meet them.

CozyCone by MouseTripleSeven, on Flickr

-Overall we had a great time as we always do out at DL. You’d have to really try hard not to IMO. In 4 days, we still didn’t get around to doing everything we wanted ( i.e. the monorail and Railroad). I know I’m not mentioning a bunch of stuff so feel free ask questions for follow up with your own thoughts. I also threw in some shots (next page down) I took in and around L.A. during our week out west. Thanks for reading :)

SpaceMountain75

Very nice trip report! I enjoyed the read. :) DL's Fantasyland is great isn't it?! Rides like Alice, Casey, and it's a small world that you mentioned make it my favorite land in the park.

GiveMeTheMusic

Great TR! We like to make use of the Railroad during the nighttime shows - it can get stopped if floats are going out or coming in, but otherwise it's a great way to get around the park when crowds are nuts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom