Toyota Highlander vs Honda Pilot

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Toyota Highlander has 48.4 cubic feet behind the 2nd row.
Mazda CX-9 (as I showed above) has 50.5 cubic feet. So the Mazda CX-9 is the winner!
Source re. the Toyota Highlander....
I am sad to report @King Raccoon 77 that I just caught an error on my part. The 50.5 I refer to on the Mazda CX-9 is INCHES....not cubic feet. 38.2 is Mazda's cubic feet behind the 2nd row on the CX-9. So the Toyota Highlander is the winner for cubic feet behind the 2nd row!

HouCuseChickie

If you want to compare vehicles...I highly recommend this site.

According to this and from all of my own recent car buying research, the Honda is going to give you a little more space with the third row collapsed. It also has a tiny bit more space with the third row up. Having been in both, I felt the Pilot was less cramped. The Pilot has lower expected reliability (read about a number of transmission issues), but the Highlander also doesn't rank as high as other Toyota models either. Although, reliability is a complicated formula that often unfairly includes brand reliability and previous model version reliability that has no bearings on the current vehicle in question.

If you're looking at the Mazda as well, it was my fave of those three. It was a bit too small for us and I hate that it lacks a touch screen, but it's a fun ride and the model I tested had an awesome red interior.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
If you want to compare vehicles...I highly recommend this site.

According to this and from all of my own recent car buying research, the Honda is going to give you a little more space with the third row collapsed. It also has a tiny bit more space with the third row up. Having been in both, I felt the Pilot was less cramped. The Pilot has lower expected reliability (read about a number of transmission issues), but the Highlander also doesn't rank as high as other Toyota models either. Although, reliability is a complicated formula that often unfairly includes brand reliability and previous model version reliability that has no bearings on the current vehicle in question.

If you're looking at the Mazda as well, it was my fave of those three. It was a bit too small for us and I hate that it lacks a touch screen, but it's a fun ride and the model I tested had an awesome red interior.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great response. I did not like the styling of the Honda and have recently eliminated the Kia and the Hyundai as well. It is down to the Toyota Highlander and the Mazda CX 9. I currently drive a CX 5 and I am used to controlling the screen with a rather than the finger on a touch screen.

HouCuseChickie

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great response. I did not like the styling of the Honda and have recently eliminated the Kia and the Hyundai as well. It is down to the Toyota Highlander and the Mazda CX 9. I currently drive a CX 5 and I am used to controlling the screen with a **** rather than the finger on a touch screen.

You're welcome. I've unfortunately had more than my share of vehicle research over the last 16 or so months, so I'm happy to share the tools I found in the process. I've also become pretty good at using the AutoTrader site to narrow down what might be available that meets all of my needs covered by their filters. The vehicle I recently lemoned was my first touch screen, and it quickly became one of my must have features, but I also know it's not for everyone. My parents just got a new vehicle after trading in their 20 yr old 4Runner and they're still mixed on the touch screen. Vehicle choice is so subjective. I tried to make myself like the Honda, but I just couldn't. I probably would have forgiven the CX-9s lack of touch screen if it were just a bit bigger. The sporty handling of the Mazda is part of why the Durango R/T was so high on my list. In the end, certain features put the Hyundai over the top for me, but again...personal preferences. :)

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great response. I did not like the styling of the Honda and have recently eliminated the Kia and the Hyundai as well. It is down to the Toyota Highlander and the Mazda CX 9. I currently drive a CX 5 and I am used to controlling the screen with a **** rather than the finger on a touch screen.
A is a k-n-o-b.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

If it's like our CX-5, the touchscreen does work, just not while the car is in motion. More of a safety feature than anything else. The control kn0b has never been an issue while driving it though.

HouCuseChickie

If it's like our CX-5, the touchscreen does work, just not while the car is in motion. More of a safety feature than anything else. The control kn0b has never been an issue while driving it though.

If you jump down to the Infotainment portion, it confirms that the current model doesn't offer touchscreen when the vehicle is stopped. I tested a 2021 GT CX-9and it was k-n-o-b use only in both D and P.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
If you jump down to the Infotainment portion, it confirms that the current model doesn't offer touchscreen when the vehicle is stopped. I tested a 2021 GT CX-9and it was k-n-o-b use only in both D and P.

Today I test drove a 2020 Mazda CX9 (Touring trim)with just 5,800 miles. If it is still there on Monday at 5:45pm my wife and I plan to buy it. We could have put a deposit but we are not desperate. They are closed tomorrow and on their first day reopening we will arrive at 5:45pm. I have a good feeling we will be ok.
20210605_125539_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Correct but I don't think new factory batteries shouldn't wear out in one year.
You'd be surprised. Sometimes things like batteries get outsourced to the cheapest bidder.

I got 6 months from the brand new battery in my WRX. At least the warranty replacement battery was a genuinely high end one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom