Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Mom

Premium Member
I have never seen any indication for the mods that there is any issue with mentioning other sites. It's hard to have a proper conversation about rumors unless you do.

We would prefer that you not mention other sites (just as they prefer that you not mention wdwmagic on their sites) and hot links are definitely discouraged - some are not allowed.

hauntology

On the surface that’s absolutely true. The irony is that at a deeper level, TSL is a cynical attempt to cheaply (for Disney) exploit an overused franchise to add the illusion of value to a long-neglected park while Dinoland is a witty commentary on both American tourism and Disney’s own history of edutainment that neatly maintains the themes of the land and the overall park.

I know I’m largely alone on this, but I’ll take Dinoland over TSL any day of the week. For better or worse, Dinoland feels like a slightly satirical version of a roadside tourist trap while TSL feels like a kiddie land full of big props.

THANK YOU
I'm obsessed with the theming of chester and hester's din-o-rama. the fact that primeval whirl is essentially a parody/knock off of DINOSAUR makes it even more funny. most theme park goers don't get the 60s roadside americana vibe or the commentary part of it at all.
dinoland could definitely use one more ride to really flesh it out to not make chester/hester's seem like an afterthought...but i don't know how else to evolve a dinosaur ride from the dark ride already available. any ideas?

999th Happy Haunt

THANK YOU
I'm obsessed with the theming of chester and hester's din-o-rama. the fact that primeval whirl is essentially a parody/knock off of DINOSAUR makes it even more funny. most theme park goers don't get the 60s roadside americana vibe or the commentary part of it at all.
dinoland could definitely use one more ride to really flesh it out to not make chester/hester's seem like an afterthought...but i don't know how else to evolve a dinosaur ride from the dark ride already available. any ideas?
The originally planned Excavator attraction would be an excellent replacement for C&H's.

GlacierGlacier

Though Alien Saucers is really a reskinned clone of Maters Junkyard Jamboree
Yes... That's how flat rides work...

Triceratops Spin is a clone of Aladdin is a clone of Dumbo is a clone of Astro Orbiter. And that's just the WDW implementations.

Baymax is (I think going to be) a clone of Alien Swirling Saucers is a clone of Woody's Round-Up is a clone of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

peter11435

Yes... That's how flat rides work...

Triceratops Spin is a clone of Aladdin is a clone of Dumbo is a clone of Astro Orbiter. And that's just the WDW implementations.

Baymax is (I think going to be) a clone of Alien Swirling Saucers is a clone of Woody's Round-Up is a clone of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.
Yep. And not just flat rides. Slinky is a reskinned mine train and gran fiesta tour is a reskinned small world. The fact that rides utilize the same or similar ride systems doesn’t exactly make them clones.

Fox&Hound

Actually the #1 thing I would like to see added is Jessie’s Carousel. That would be a great addition both kinetic energy wise, and a ride people could ride without a fastpass+ reservation..... hopefully.

I agree that would be a cute addition and would add to the ride count in this land. Maybe it will be added one day.

RSoxNo1

Actually the #1 thing I would like to see added is Jessie’s Carousel. That would be a great addition both kinetic energy wise, and a ride people could ride without a fastpass+ reservation..... hopefully.
I would like to see a Speedway track integrated into the landscape of Slinky Dog. It's what they should have done at the outset and it would have allowed them to better use the real estate in the Magic Kingdom.

Fox&Hound

Wow. I usually defend Disney and try to look on the bright side of things, but that pop-up shop is one of the worst things I have ever seen. What were they thinking? Does pop-up mean temporary? TSL could use a shop indoors, at least in the shade, so I applaud them for making that happen, but a little bit of paint could go a long way- and different ceiling tile/lighting idea. "Buzz's girlfriend- woof"

jt04

As a fellow Pixie Duster, I agree with you as often as not, JT - but this pop up store is rubbish. Pure rubbish. Of embarrassing proportions.

I agree it should have never been necessary. And I am sure there are plans to fix the problem. Time will tell.

Little Green Men

Wow. I usually defend Disney and try to look on the bright side of things, but that pop-up shop is one of the worst things I have ever seen. What were they thinking? Does pop-up mean temporary? TSL could use a shop indoors, at least in the shade, so I applaud them for making that happen, but a little bit of paint could go a long way- and different ceiling tile/lighting idea. "Buzz's girlfriend- woof"
Yes it does

ToTBellHop

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...s-in-google-street-view-of-toy-story-land.htm

That’s so extra. I mean I’m not complaining but it’s a relatively large coordinated effort for something only a handful of people will ever see and understand. I wish that kind of effort was put into useful things!

Steve I can guarantee not a soul noticed that without it being pointed out to them.
You're talking about a company that builds rides. Nothing at Disney World is "useful" and nothing we discuss here is "important".

This is how the world works now. Someone points something out on social media, it goes viral for 2 days, and that's it. The expectation wasn't that people would randomly discover this.

Casper Gutman

I was reading the (very positive) reviews for Toy Story 4 and was struck by a realization:

A big part of what feels so insulting about TSL is the fact that it is based off one of the most consistently excellent, emotionally resonant franchises ever produced in any medium, animated or otherwise. It has become a cliche that Pixar films make audiences cry, and Toy Story excels at this because it effectively, honestly, and non-manipulatively addresses issues of growth, aging, and mortality that Oscar-nominated dramas handle with less grace.

But at WDW, this remarkable franchise is reduced to some carnival rides and a Wii game. This explains why I actually liked Bugs Land, an area based on a much more frivolous film, but loathe TSL. Obviously, theme park rides have to engage audience emotions in a different manner then films, but TSL doesn’t even try. It’s positively dismissive of its wonderful source material. It reinforces popular perceptions of animated films as disposable, childish, and meaningless while supposedly representing a franchise that disproves those perceptions.

It’s like building a Citizen Kane spinner or a Grapes of Wrath wild mouse. Or a Mary Poppins carousel.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I was reading the (very positive) reviews for Toy Story 4 and was struck by a realization:

A big part of what feels so insulting about TSL is the fact that it is based off one of the most consistently excellent, emotionally resonant franchises ever produced in any medium, animated or otherwise. It has become a cliche that Pixar films make audiences cry, and Toy Story excels at this because it effectively, honestly, and non-manipulatively addresses issues of growth, aging, and mortality that Oscar-nominated dramas handle with less grace.

But at WDW, this remarkable franchise is reduced to some carnival rides and a Wii game. This explains why I actually liked Bugs Land, an area based on a much more frivolous film, but loathe TSL. Obviously, theme park rides have to engage audience emotions in a different manner then films, but TSL doesn’t even try. It’s positively dismissive of its wonderful source material. It reinforces popular perceptions of animated films as disposable, childish, and meaningless while supposedly representing a franchise that disproves those perceptions.

It’s like building a Citizen Kane spinner or a Grapes of Wrath wild mouse. Or a Mary Poppins carousel.
Grapes of Wrath wild mouse CONFIRMED for Disney’s Animal Kingdom as part of rethemed Steinbeckland, USA. I would have gone with Of Mice and Men but Rohde likes to push the envelope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom