Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Timothy_Q

I agree, that would be even better than just removing the billboards. It seems like a reasonable thing to do, since MMRR means the building will be sticking around for a while.

Unfortunately, with no Return On Investment for such a project, it doesn't seem like they'd be motivated to spend the money that would be necessary (likely millions, even for just a few relatively simple facades).

This should have been part of the Toy Story Land budget - and maybe it was, in the early planning stages - but alas...
Absolutely.

I have a long-term hope that if/when Animation Courtyard gets turned into a decent land, the current pathway to TSL goes away and a new one is built from the new land

doctornick

Umm... It's in front of a gigantic blank wall and billboard that has been there for years. What do you want? It's nothing special, but it's not unattractive, especially when you consider this area of the park might eventually become backstage. It's nicer than what's been there for the past however many years.

I actually wonder if the appearance will be in synch with "Metroville" (the former Pixar Place area) once that opens. I could see it fitting into the same retro vibe that the movies evoke, but having generic names for retail is somewhat of a comic book/super hero trope (look at MSHI at IoA as well).

DinoInstitute

Also theming the backside of GMR, with fake facades would be pretty simple.

Some bricks, fake windows, etc
Yep. They did a great job turning this:
D7AD14B9-A2C9-4F78-85DA-492DDCF911CE.jpeg

Into this:
477CB805-408C-4C76-B173-612E561F6B1E.jpeg

Now they should continue that with the rest of the park.

Kman101

Absolutely.

I have a long-term hope that if/when Animation Courtyard gets turned into a decent land, the current pathway to TSL goes away and a new one is built from the new land

I've been thinking that as well. It all feels very backstage-ish still. Like another poster has said, it's likely not on their priority list but some brick or facades would improve things tremendously. Commissary Lane and the lead up to Incredibles/TSL looks backstage now. It needs fixing. But so does a lot of things ... lol. I'd really like to see Mermaid replaced soon and I can't imagine they don't touch animation courtyard at SOME point.

Magenta Panther

I just read on the Site That Shall Not Be Named that Toy Story Land is already looking crappy. Pictures were posted that showed tables, chairs, rides etc. with chipped paint - and I don't mean little dings either. Appalling. Looked like cheap carnival décor. And in the Frozen ride in Epcot, the Olaf AA's mouth isn't moving in sync with its dialogue. ? Meanwhile Iger rakes in a big payday. How I wish Roy Disney Jr was still with us. We need an agitator with power and clout to complain about these things. Why is WDW so woefully neglected compared to other Disney parks?

mikejs78

Premium Member
I just read on the Site That Shall Not Be Named that Toy Story Land is already looking crappy. Pictures were posted that showed tables, chairs, rides etc. with chipped paint - and I don't mean little dings either. Appalling. Looked like cheap carnival décor. And in the Frozen ride in Epcot, the Olaf AA's mouth isn't moving in sync with its dialogue. ***? Meanwhile Iger rakes in a big payday. How I wish Roy Disney Jr was still with us. We need an agitator with power and clout to complain about these things. Why is WDW so woefully neglected compared to other Disney parks?
People forget that Roy Jr. was not a huge fan of the parks. At one point he advocated for selling all the theme parks. He wanted Disney to focus on animation and nature films.

Fox&Hound

Well, I have decided. I love these boards and value its members, but I think I have to take everything said with a HUGE grain of salt from now on. Just got back from The World, and I can say with 100% honesty that Toy Story Land is oozing with charm. Wow! What an adorable addition to Hollywood Studious. Slinky Dog Dash had a lot more thrill than I ever anticipated and it is such a fun experience- a new family favorite. While I wish Aliens was longer in duration it is nowhere near the travesty others on here would have you believe. I can't fathom why people would hate TSL so much. Tons of details, great food at Woody's Lunch Box, and bright colors that put the rest of the studios to shame. We loooooooved this new land!

Last edited:

ChewbaccaYourMum

Well, I have decided. I love these boards and value its members, but I think I have to take everything said with a HUGE grain of salt from now on. Just got back from The World, and I can say with 100% honesty that Toy Story Land is oozing with charm. Wow! What an adorable addition to Hollywood Studious. Slinky Dong Dash had a lot more thrill than I ever anticipated and it is such a fun experience- a new family favorite. While I wish Aliens was longer in duration it is nowhere near the travesty others on here would have you believe. I can't fathom why people would hate TSL so much. Tons of details, great food at Woody's Lunch Box, and bright colors that put the rest of the studios to shame. We loooooooved this new land!
I'm with you. I love Slinky as well. So much better than I ever imagined.

po1998

Well, I have decided. I love these boards and value its members, but I think I have to take everything said with a HUGE grain of salt from now on. Just got back from The World, and I can say with 100% honesty that Toy Story Land is oozing with charm. Wow! What an adorable addition to Hollywood Studious. Slinky Dong Dash had a lot more thrill than I ever anticipated and it is such a fun experience- a new family favorite. While I wish Aliens was longer in duration it is nowhere near the travesty others on here would have you believe. I can't fathom why people would hate TSL so much. Tons of details, great food at Woody's Lunch Box, and bright colors that put the rest of the studios to shame. We loooooooved this new land!
Yeah BUT...

NO COVERED AREAS

NO INDOOR EATERY

NO STORE

<Fill in the Blank>

<Fill in the Blank>

Rinse and Repeat
/sarcasm off

That being said, your post is a breath of fresh air. 👍

flyerjab

Love your post and love that you loved it so much. I found the reality of the land to be much different after I actually visited. My wife and kids and I all loved it when we finally went to see it. I think that the land - aside from a lack of shade which still needs to be addressed - was a blast. My wife and I went early during EMHs and did all 3 rides within an hour. Slinky Dog Dash is a great, fun coaster. And I also agree with what you said about the Alien Swirling Saucers ride. It was fun to ride, but it was so much better at night. Actually, the entire land comes alive at night with all of the lighting effects. My main issue was the lack of shade. Waiting in line in Summer for SDD is brutal, as is the lack of shade at the eating area. The food was great but I was sweating eating it.

I have learned to take things with a grain of salt also as everyone's own opinions vary. There was a period of time where I would read about how horrible things had become at the parks on the forum that I was almost dreading going. Then I would go and would see things VERY differently. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom