Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WDW Guru 4 Life

Honestly, I weirdly see this rapid drop off as a good thing. The land is filler, it needs filler-like wait times, not 2 hours in an outdoor queue to ride a whip ride. If Slinky settles into peak 45 minute territory and A.S.S. 5-15 minutes like its California cousin... perfect!
This will also hopefully show the imagineers (but mostly Iger) that in order for a land to be popular for a long time like Pandora and presumably GE, it has to be top quality and the absolute best job the imagineers can do. I know that some people on here were scared that Disney could build literally anything and guests would still line up for hours to ride it, but luckily it seems that they are smart enough to know a great land when they see one.

Daveeeeed

This will also hopefully show the imagineers (but mostly Iger) that in order for a land to be popular for a long time like Pandora and presumably GE, it has to be top quality and the absolute best job the imagineers can do. I know that some people on here were scared that Disney could build literally anything and guests would still line up for hours to ride it, but luckily it seems that they are smart enough to know a great land when they see one.
250M is not filler to me, personally. Should've just spent 400M it done it right. Still the land looks a lot better than Paris, HK, or Shanghai so at least there's that.

Indy_UK

Shorter wait rides as filler is what's needed and is what TSL is. It's to take the rides at Galaxy's Edge down from 3 hours each to 2 hours each.

I can never understand why RnR always has an insane wait. they really need to ditch fanatasmic and put a daytime show there which will massively help spread the crowds from Galaxys Edge

Robbiem

For the money spent i would expect a lot more than a barely themes coaster and a flat ride. As much as i dont like toy story lands theming it could have made for an OK land for families if it had more to do some more basic flat rides like bugs land or mermaid lagoon would have helped with the crowds and filled things out.

lazyboy97o

250M is not filler to me, personally. Should've just spent 400M it done it right. Still the land looks a lot better than Paris, HK, or Shanghai so at least there's that.
$250 million is nearing Hogsmeade territory. The budget was plenty large enough for this to be “done right” and “top quality.”

WDW Guru 4 Life

$250 million is nearing Hogsmeade territory. The budget was plenty large enough for this to be “done right” and “top quality.”
I understand that, which is why I'm personally glad that the wait times are shorter than Disney most likely expected for a land that's been open less than a week. Maybe this will give the company a lesson to do things better in the future, whether it's a "filler" land or not.

lazyboy97o

All we know is the number Disney/Universal puts out. The accounting that goes into producing that number or how it breaks down is not known. In my opinion, comparing these official budget numbers is a fruitless exercise.
The parks rarely discuss costs.

I personally don’t care what the cost is. It doesn’t effect me. Is the end result good? Do I enjoy the land and or ride(s)? That’s all I care about.
Except that it does affect you. The cost directly contributes to what is built.

twebber55

I personally don’t care what the cost is. It doesn’t effect me. Is the end result good? Do I enjoy the land and or ride(s)? That’s all I care about.
yeah i agree to a certain point
i just think numbers get thrown around without any true way of knowing what it actually cost
ive seen numbers 500 to 1 billion for pandora
i ve seen numbers 250 to 400 million for TSL
and of course MM plus numbers ive seen 1 billion to 3 billlion
again no offense to the insiders claiming the know the right number

andysol

yeah i agree to a certain point
i just think numbers get thrown around without any true way of knowing what it actually cost
ive seen numbers 500 to 1 billion for pandora
i ve seen numbers 250 to 400 million for TSL
and of course MM plus numbers ive seen 1 billion to 3 billlion
again no offense to the insiders claiming the know the right number

With the amount of things in every project that gets pushed onto other budgets, no one has a clue what something costs. They can make an educated guess, but that’s all it is.

Pandora’s budget, for example, did not just include pandora. And other portions of what is in pandora was passed into other budgets as well.

TLDR; budgets are a cluster F and I agree- they are relatively useless to discuss.

Disney Analyst

The parks rarely discuss costs.

Except that it does affect you. The cost directly contributes to what is built.

Sure? But the cost doesn't actually effect me... If they did something lower cost but great quality I wouldn't care about the cost aspect... just as much as if they did something crazy cost and terrible quality... I would just think "man, this sucks, what were they thinking?"

lazyboy97o

Sure? But the cost doesn't actually effect me... If they did something lower cost but great quality I wouldn't care about the cost aspect... just as much as if they did something crazy cost and terrible quality... I would just think "man, this sucks, what were they thinking?"
Things like shade are part of the experience and the out of control spending is what makes them subject to being cut. Better control of costs would also mean more quality experiences.

twebber55

With the amount of things in every project that gets pushed onto other budgets, no one has a clue what something costs. They can make an educated guess, but that’s all it is.

Pandora’s budget, for example, did not just include pandora. And other portions of what is in pandora was passed into other budgets as well.

TLDR; budgets are a cluster F and I agree- they are relatively useless to discuss.
be careful @andysol you re becoming one of my fav posters on this site and others

Daveeeeed

Totally agreed. At the minimum we should have recieved the initial plans, but even then. To be fair Hogsmeade really isn't that big, but it's quality over quantity. What can you do now though, what's done is done. My guess is a third land will definitely have to happen with Star Wars' crowds.
Personally, I would have prefered an altered TSPL from Paris, and then got the Mickey Ride in addition to updating GMR. Would have been a bigger bang for the bucks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom