Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
And yet to those that aren't obsessed with Disney and going for the first time... it is a brand new experience. There are more of them at this point then there are of us. It's only old because, we personally, have seen it a lot. Perspective can be our friend.
This is true. And this is why I always go to WDW with a first timer! It's easier to do everything and fill up the day with someone who has never seen ANYthing than to go with more repeat visitors and just do a fourth of what first timers would do.

I just got back from a visit to WDW with my best friend who had never been in her life. She's a tech theatre major. So she absolutely LOVED Mermaid, Indiana Jones, Fantasmic, AND Beauty and the Beast! They were ALL new experiences to her. Same with my two first timer friends in May, and my first timer friend in October!

An old "outdated" experience is a brand new experience for first timers. And, as you said, there are many more first timers than there are of us.

flyerjab

Great review!

The more I ponder this, the weirder it is regarding the total lack of shade. After all of this time why would they design rides with all of this outdoor, non-shaded queue space? It is like they regressed in theme park design to think that something like this will work in Florida. It is hot enough walking around but at least you can search for shaded areas. This is ridiculous to me that they would expect this to be acceptable to stand, baking in the sun for any ride in the Florida heat. And please don't tell me that this is to sacrifice comfort over theming. If that is the case then the boxes that the toys came in should have been bigger. And when it is raining what will happen? There are definitely some planning issues here that have me scratching my head.

The same goes for the outdoor QS area. I get that we are striving for "Cars Land-like immersion" but this just isn't to that level. Why couldn't this have had covered seating like at Flame Tree Barbecue, or at least some foliage or more toy structures to provide shade. And a plastic Al's Toy Barn Box (or something like what was in the original concept are) for an indoor, air-conditioned merchandise location would have been perfect.

I am usually accepting of many things - maybe Pandora spoiled my expectations - but among the really nice parts of this expansion there are definitely some misses.

MrConbon

Um, you're overreacting a little bit. Take a look at my post again and you'll see that I NEVER mentioned how small or how big SW:GE will be. The only think I said is that we don't know how popular it will be yet. @David2319 mentioned PANDORA that's why I compared TSL to PANDORA. Is to so difficult to understand @MrConbon? By the way no opinion is wrong here and I have a very clear sense of reality. So better keep your comments about "delusion" to yourself.

By big I mean popular. We all know thousands of people are withholding trips until Star Wars Land opens. We know how popular it will be. Do you think Star Wars is going to be anything but insanely popular?

Skibum1970

By big I mean popular. We all know thousands of people are withholding trips until Star Wars Land opens. We know how popular it will be. Do you think Star Wars is going to be anything but insanely popular?

I realize that this conversation should take place in the SW:GE thread but I think that a lot of people are going to be highly disappointed by all FP+ being snagged early and so having to endure three hour lines (probably longer). Or a land that is closed due to capacity issues. However, this is because it is going to be extremely popular.

dreamscometrue

Solid, detailed review...thanks for doing this.

The only thing I don't ever (not just in this case) agree with, is the use of terms such as 'missed opportunity' or 'what might have been'. I think that absolutely could, and often is, stated about every theme park attraction or land anywhere...ever. Even as recently as last year's opening of the amazingly immersive Pandora, people on here were commenting about what 'might have been' if it only had a 3rd ride. Had this site existed many, many years ago, you know BTMRR and Pirates would have been lambasted as a 'missed opportunity' for Thunder Mesa. On and on, and so forth.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Solid, detailed review...thanks for doing this.

The only thing I don't ever (not just in this case) agree with, is the use of terms such as 'missed opportunity' or 'what might have been'. I think that absolutely could, and often is, stated about absolutely every theme park attraction or land anywhere...ever. Even as recently as last year's opening of the amazingly immersive Pandora, people on here were commenting about what 'might have been' if it only had a 3rd ride. Had this site existed many, many years ago, you know BTMRR and Pirates would have been lambasted as a 'missed opportunity' for Thunder Mesa. On so on, and so forth.
Glad you liked the review.
I agree on the missed opportunity, and it isn't something we normally bring up. But in this case, concept art was show at the originally announcement that seemed to address some of the issues that we had with the land. So in this case it seemed right to mention it.

CJR

Loved it! Thanks for providing an honest review of the land. I couldn't agree more with everything you mentioned.

On a nice day, it'll be a welcoming addition, on a hot humid day (like right now), it'll be more hassle than fun, unless you have a FP (and maybe even then). My hope is they'll add more in the future and tweak things as needed. They'll never do anything extreme like enclose SDD, but an indoor M&G or something could be nice and feasible down the road, hopefully.

JohnyKaz2078

Never argued about that. Star Wars Land is going to be very popular. The wait times and the overall crowds though remain to be seen.

disneygeek90

Never argued about that. Star Wars Land is going to be very popular. The wait times and the overall crowds though remain to be seen.
I think it's safe to assume the overall crowds and wait times will be substantial for quite some time. I'm actually kind of fearing it. There aren't nearly the amount of hardcore Avatar fans to the same degree as Star Wars fans, yet FoP is nearly a 2 hour+ wait all day every day, over a year later.

DABIGCHEEZ

And yet to those that aren't obsessed with Disney and going for the first time... it is a brand new experience. There are more of them at this point then there are of us. It's only old because, we personally, have seen it a lot. Perspective can be our friend.
True... all is new to them, but different shows would also be new to them as well. There is no reason why Disney can not change out the shows after say 5 years... to keep it kind of fresh for everyone. And I am not talking GoTG type or dance party type shows... but BaTB type shows. Although we haven't been in many years since kids are now 13-19, they update the Disney Junior offering every 5 years or so, so they can do it for the others too.

Last edited:

JohnyKaz2078

I think it's safe to assume the overall crowds and wait times will be substantial for quite some time. I'm actually kind of fearing it. There aren't nearly the amount of hardcore Avatar fans to the same degree as Star Wars fans, yet FoP is nearly a 2 hour+ wait all day every day, over a year later.

They will substantial for a long long long time. But how substantial remains to be seen.

dreamscometrue

Glad you liked the review.
I agree on the missed opportunity, and it isn't something we normally bring up. But in this case, concept art was show at the originally announcement that seemed to address some of the issues that we had with the land. So in this case it seemed right to mention it.
That's fair. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom