Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

Don't be silly. Everybody knows that they just hang up random lights and hope for the best! They just get really lucky all the time.

Except Mermaid. Their luck ran out there.
Don’t throw tomatoes, but I actually like Mermaid. Not $80,000,000-like, but I think it’s fine. Better than Pooh...

And if not for nostalgia, I’d probably say it’s better than Peter Pan.

I’ll show myself out.

HonorableMention

This is very unrelated and I haven’t read the thread, but is Toy Story Mania going down before opening? I know FPs are gone until may, but I’m visiting shortly before TSL opens and I don’t want to show up to a shuttered ride.

Castle Cake Apologist

Don’t throw tomatoes, but I actually like Mermaid. Not $80,000,000-like, but I think it’s fine. Better than Pooh...

And if not for nostalgia, I’d probably say it’s better than Peter Pan.

I’ll show myself out.

I like Pooh more than Mermaid to be honest. At least the scenes surround you.

I was talking about the lighting, though. Specifically the original lighting before they fixed it and made it an actual dark ride. Mermaid had awful lighting design when it first opened.

ToTBellHop

I like Pooh more than Mermaid to be honest. At least the scenes surround you.

I was talking about the lighting, though. Specifically the original lighting before they fixed it and made it an actual dark ride. Mermaid had awful lighting design when it first opened.
Oh yes. It had horrific lighting design. The average high school production of Spring Awakening is better. Even now, the lighting is ok but not great. And it is so clear that they retrofitted dark ride lighting into the Under the Sea room. But at least it has bona fide AAs. In many ways it’s a striking hodgepodge as the impressive Ursula AA is juxtaposed 60 sec earlier against spinning fish that are distractingly painted on one side (and I know why they had to do this).

If you’re going to go clamshells to the wall on some aspects of a ride, you should really do it everywhere. Mermaid is a D, not because it was designed as such (like TSMM), but because it is half an E, half a C.

Goofyernmost

Yep, you're right. Everything just showed up on its own. Nothing was intentional. The palm trees just grew there on their own, (on top of a building, mind you) and nobody bothered to cut them down. They just ran out of railing materials halfway through and had to use something else. All the subtle landscaping transitions just happened because they ran out of the plants they had been using and had to use different ones.

You are legitimately one of the most hard headed people I've ever spoken to. You're constantly telling others why they're wrong, despite all evidence to the contrary. You're endlessly combative with people who verifiably know more about the operation and design of the parks than you do, and then get even more combative when they point out why you were (once again) wrong. You wouldn't have countless people in every thread telling you the same thing if they were just lying. What would be the end game of multiple people lying to you about theme park transitional elements? You also tend to talk down to people who care about details in the most detailed theme parks in the world, and then hide behind the opinion shield when you get called out.

I'm honestly to the point where I can't imagine why anybody even bothers to engage with you anymore. I don't know if you're a master troll, purposefully obtuse, or if you just get your jollies off on arguing, but it gets pretty old. Somebody will say something, you'll inaccurately tell them why they're wrong with an attitude, multiple people will point out why you were actually the one who was wrong, and then you regress into victim mode. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. You definitely have an earned reputation around here, and it's not necessarily a good one. I honestly don't expect you to change, but it would be nice if you stepped back and took a look at your posting style.

I do think your signature is funny, though. So at least there's that.
I only state what I see and how I see it. It is you and your crowd that cannot accept that. You see things that may or may not actually exist, but more importantly you cannot accept that others see it differently or perhaps don't have a need to have our hand held throughout to give us clues as to what comes next. I never said that didn't put them there for a reason. One of those reasons might just be because it looks good in that area, but, if you think it sends out a message either subliminally or directly, I don't agree. I know you guys hate it when I do that. Listen you can believe whatever you want, I just feel that you have the I believe in Miracles Syndrome and think that people pay that much attention to a specific thing that it influences how we feel about it. The whole park is influential to having an enjoyable time. If in that process it makes some of you think that it sets any mood ahead of time other then enjoying the surroundings then go ahead. All I have ever tried to do is tell you how I see it, and I don't care if you like that or you don't. If it makes you happy, by all means go for it. But, don't be terrible disappointed or start you usual yelling out of troll as a counter argument, because that make you lose the discussion right away with everyone except your group. You see something that I don't. You interpret what you see in your way, I don't. I'm not stopping you from doing that I am just asking for proof that what you are saying is true. Haven't heard that yet nor have I heard why you think that is so important. I still enjoy those land and those attraction without the spoiler.

Fox&Hound

According to trusted insiders, there is a radiation leak nearby. Andy has moved all his toys outside while the Government has quarantined his house looking for the source of the leak and questioning his mother on charges of domestic terrorism in transporting the material.

As civilian members of the Government envoy investigating this matter, you are exposed to the radiation and physically are shrunk to the size of the toy. Because of your exposure you only have 12 hours left to live, so the toys take pity on you and set up games and rides to make your last few hours on Earth enjoyable until you die.

I hope this answers your question. :)

I peed a little. Thank you for this!

Castle Cake Apologist

I only state what I see and how I see it. It is you and your crowd that cannot accept that. You see things that may or may not actually exist, but more importantly you cannot accept that others see it differently or perhaps don't have a need to have our hand held throughout to give us clues as to what comes next. I never said that didn't put them there for a reason. One of those reasons might just be because it looks good in that area, but, if you think it sends out a message either subliminally or directly, I don't agree. I know you guys hate it when I do that. Listen you can believe whatever you want, I just feel that you have the I believe in Miracles Syndrome and think that people pay that much attention to a specific thing that it influences how we feel about it. The whole park is influential to having an enjoyable time. If in that process it makes some of you think that it sets any mood ahead of time other then enjoying the surroundings then go ahead. All I have ever tried to do is tell you how I see it, and I don't care if you like that or you don't. If it makes you happy, by all means go for it. But, don't be terrible disappointed or start you usual yelling out of troll as a counter argument, because that make you lose the discussion right away with everyone except your group. You see something that I don't. You interpret what you see in your way, I don't. I'm not stopping you from doing that I am just asking for proof that what you are saying is true. Haven't heard that yet nor have I heard why you think that is so important. I still enjoy those land and those attraction without the spoiler.

Lol, "my crowd." Okay.
Like I'm in some roving gang of ne'er-do-well theme park purists from the wrong side of the Storybook Circus tracks.

What's really rich about this whole thing is the fact that these subliminal design transitions aren't a secret. Disney openly discusses them. Take a tour at MK, pick up an Imagineering book, read the Field Guides. Disney is proud of the work that went into this design.

Last edited:

disnyfan89

I'm not stopping you from doing that I am just asking for proof that what you are saying is true.

I am unfortunately at work and don't have my copy readily available but it is discussed in "The Imagineering Field Guide to Magic Kingdom". The best I can do at this exact moment is quote a review from Mouseplanet that discusses this in their review on the book:

"With so few attractions [in Liberty Square] to discuss, the author takes more time with the architectural details of the area and spends a page discussing the all-important visual transitions required as one land blends into another."

I believe this is located on page 86 for anyone who would like to look it up.

NormC

I only state what I see and how I see it. It is you and your crowd that cannot accept that. You see things that may or may not actually exist, but more importantly you cannot accept that others see it differently
I think it is you that cannot accept that others see it differently. How you see it is not always accurate. Opinions are not facts.
or perhaps don't have a need to have our hand held throughout to give us clues as to what comes next. I never said that didn't put them there for a reason. One of those reasons might just be because it looks good in that area, but, if you think it sends out a message either subliminally or directly, I don't agree. I know you guys hate it when I do that. Listen you can believe whatever you want, I just feel that you have the I believe in Miracles Syndrome and think that people pay that much attention to a specific thing that it influences how we feel about it.
I think you have a different syndrome.
The whole park is influential to having an enjoyable time. If in that process it makes some of you think that it sets any mood ahead of time other then enjoying the surroundings then go ahead. All I have ever tried to do is tell you how I see it,
Again how you see it is not always accurate just like how we are not always accurate in our assesments. However we are all entitled to our opinions and they are just as valid as yours.
and I don't care if you like that or you don't. If it makes you happy, by all means go for it. But, don't be terrible disappointed or start you usual yelling out of troll as a counter argument, because that make you lose the discussion right away with everyone except your group. You see something that I don't. You interpret what you see in your way, I don't. I'm not stopping you from doing that I am just asking for proof that what you are saying is true. Haven't heard that yet nor have I heard why you think that is so important. I still enjoy those land and those attraction without the spoiler.
Where is your proof for your opinions?

PorterRedkey

Lol, "my crowd." Okay.
Like I'm in some roving gang of ne'er-do-well theme park purists from the wrong side of the Storybook Circus tracks.

What's really rich about this whole thing is the fact that these subliminal design transitions aren't a secret. Disney openly discusses them. Take a tour at MK, pick up an Imagineering book, read the Field Guides. Disney is proud of the work that went into this design.
THIS!

I'll join that gang ;)
It's so frustrating, seeing him push established Disney practices as your own made-up delusions. Disney's land-to-land transitions (especially in the MK) are pretty well documented. It seems he has a problem with admitting he is wrong.

ToTBellHop

Lol, "my crowd." Okay.

Can I join the gang? Bandannas in royal purple pigment?

Incomudro

I believe that some of what you are missing is the subliminal thing.
The little things that you don't notice obviously, but are cumulatively adding up to the entire experience.
Many people for instance couldn't tell you what makes the experience of a more upscale car a nicer one than a lower buck car (with the exception of something obvious like premium leather and wood) if you asked them.
They feel it, but few would be able to tell you what it all is.

phillip9698

Hmm, I feel like I've missed out on part of the experience because I have never given thought to or even noticed the transitional elements so many people use as examples of the Disney difference. When I set foot into a land, whether that's by crossing a bridge or going under a sign, I figure all the theming from that point on should be consistent. Anything outside that area doesn't apply even if it's two steps outside the area. That's why I've never given a second thought to the whole shrinking down train of thought concerning TSL.

This seems like something you really need to experience on routine repeat visits to appreciate because folks coming in once every 5 years or so are so focused on getting to the attractions or restaurants that most of these details are going to go unnoticed.

Castle Cake Apologist

Hmm, I feel like I've missed out on part of the experience because I have never given thought to or even noticed the transitional elements so many people use as examples of the Disney difference. When I set foot into a land, whether that's by crossing a bridge or going under a sign, I figure all the theming from that point on should be consistent. Anything outside that area doesn't apply even if it's two steps outside the area. That's why I've never given a second thought to the whole shrinking down train of thought concerning TSL.

This seems like something you really need to experience on routine repeat visits to appreciate because folks coming in once every 5 years or so are so focused on getting to the attractions or restaurants that most of these details are going to go unnoticed.

And, again, that's the point. They are designed to be subliminal elements; to seamlessly transition you from area to area.

It's really odd, because most casual park fans are really amazed and intrigued when they find out how deep the layers of theme go at the parks (MK in particular). But then certain people just get mad for some reason, because they had never noticed it before, so obviously everybody else is wrong and ganging up on them. This is obviously not directed toward the person whose post I quoted.

REQUIRED READING FOR EVERYBODY: Passport to Dreams Old and New. FoxxFur is an invaluable wealth of information, and a true asset to the community. I would put her in the same league as Martin (@marni1971) when it comes to knowledge of the history and design of the parks. If you're a theme park nerd of an advanced caliber, her essays on design and park theory will keep you enthralled for hours.

MrConbon

Just because you don’t notice the design elements doesn’t mean they weren’t purposely put there for the people who look for the small details. That’s part of why Disney is so renown.

Timothy_Q

And, again, that's the point. They are designed to be subliminal elements; to seamlessly transition you from area to area.

It's really odd, because most casual park fans are really amazed and intrigued when they find out how deep the layers of theme go at the parks (MK in particular). But then certain people just get mad for some reason, because they had never noticed it before, so obviously everybody else is wrong and ganging up on them. This is obviously not directed toward the person whose post I quoted.

REQUIRED READING FOR EVERYBODY: Passport to Dreams Old and New. FoxxFur is an invaluable wealth of information, and a true asset to the community. I would put her in the same league as Martin (@marni1971) when it comes to knowledge of the history and design of the parks. If you're a theme park nerd of an advanced caliber, her essays on design and park theory will keep you enthralled for hours.
He also doesn't believe specific colors can convey specific eras.

So there's really no use trying to open his mind to anything new.
The ignorance runs deep

ToTBellHop

Many times in my life, I encounter crotchety old people who are entirely set in their ways. I find it’s not worth trying to argue with them. There is no possible positive outcome. If someone insists on being angry and ignorant, the only thing you’ll achieve by arguing with them is hypertension.

Eventually the old generation is a past generation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom