Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

BrianLo

This isn't my memory at all. My understanding is that the MGM makeover we anticipated several years ago consisted of a SWL comparable to the one currently being constructed, but replacing Indy and Echo Lake and extending the park barriers by replacing a significant portion of the parking lot; a Pixar land containing the Monsters door coaster and a modified, possible shortened RSR; and a phase three that was always somewhat nebulous but possibly focused on Indy. I don't recall the precise timing, but a Mickey ride, possibly located in the Animation Courtyard and thus leaving GMR as is (was), has been a part of the plan for a while. We also expected replacements for the incredibly tired VLMM, Indy, and B&B shows. Even the TSL we are getting has been dramatically cut down from earlier proposals, as made most evident by the art work they still, deceptively, use to promote the land.

If my recollection is incorrect, those with better memories can correct me. But that makeover, which we've been anticipating for over a decade, dwarfs the totality of what we are getting now at all four parks.

As for future MGM projects, the only strong rumors I've seen are possible replacements for the aging live shows and layovers to RnRC and ToT. The impression I've gotten from insiders - and again, I might be wrong - is that execs think SWL pretty much fixes the park, which won't need any more attractions for quite a while.

There was an even earlier proposal where there were four phases, as you mentioned. Phase 4 not truly being part of the original proposed budget.

But Toy Story and Star Wars in most iterations were always two of them. Star Wars as phase 3 (echo lake) was to reuse several buildings. I assume that made it a bit of a lesser version, but maybe not. All the projects (RSR/Star Wars/Toy Story/Pixar land with Rat and Monsters Inc/Indy) represent a series of competing projects. I think the presumption that there was ever a chance for all of them was incorrect. The best laid plans (not the blue sky WDI hopes) never included more than 4 totally new build E-tickets.

I think the Monsters Inc doorcoaster died for the third TSMM track. Which we forget is sort of part of this project still.

I guess the question is should Star Wars have stayed a phase 3? That’s a bit of a hard call. I think it makes sense to try and get in the same year as DL, but they need a strong follow up.

A newbie to this site (first post), so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask about Toy Story Land rumors. Here’s my long question about Toy Story Mania.

It was already announced that the FastPass+ for Toy Story Mania will be down (standby only) from April 9th-May 7th. But now that the opening of Toy Story Land isn’t until June 30th I’m wondering about what is going to happen with the entrance for Toy Story Mania in this almost 2 month block following May 7th. Would they really close the ride for that long in a park that already doesn’t have many rides? Would they go back to FastPass+ for the ride after May 7th until the opening of Toy Story Land and only right before the opening close off the old entrance to the ride? Perhaps the ride would only be accessible to APs in some type of soft opening during June (although this would be odd to make the ride no longer available to other guests IMO).

I know it’s likely just speculation at this point but I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts about what they see as likely to happen to the ride during this almost 2 month block between May 7th and June 30th. My fam will be there June 10th-15th (so in a way this is a self-interested rumor request), not sure the ride will be open to all guests just a couple weeks before Toy Story Land opens.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You are good until the last paragraph. They know the rides under construction aren’t enough and are developing an additional E-ticket. Unfortunately it will (or would—let’s see if it happens) come too late to prevent insane crowds starting Fall 2019.
More Indy isn’t greenlit for DHS. But they do have a hole now Tron has gone to the MK.

matt9112

You are good until the last paragraph. They know the rides under construction aren’t enough and are developing an additional E-ticket. Unfortunately it will (or would—let’s see if it happens) come too late to prevent insane crowds starting Fall 2019.

what they need is freaking MASSIVE CAPACITY D tickets....why's everything have to be the hottest ride on the block? solid high capacity people eaters. (theater shows, omni mover ect) and for arguments sake I'm sure you can do high capacity cutting edge if you want.

we need things to do while waiting for fast passes. things you can walk into or minimal wait times. but maybe the average disney guest enjoys 100 minute waits I don't know.

lazyboy97o

what they need is freaking MASSIVE CAPACITY D tickets....why's everything have to be the hottest ride on the block? solid high capacity people eaters. (theater shows, omni mover ect) and for arguments sake I'm sure you can do high capacity cutting edge if you want.
That’s just more of the same problem. The parks need small experiences that don’t generate huge demand but can be discovered.

lazyboy97o

How do you market that? Also, it usually fails in practice. New is new. We will see this with A S S’s lines.
That’s the big Catch 22 created by single pay admission and exacerbated by the various queue skipping and ride reservation systems. The small experiences can’t be a big marketing focus and really need to be built up over years. It has to be done as a wholistic understanding of the day’s experience.

They need both actually. C/D ticket rides with high capacity that don't act as "Draws" to a park can help offload the crowds.
Large capacities mean large systems, which drive up costs. You just get stuck in the same vicious circle and we the result, attractions getting huge hype and having to try and carry (figuratively and literally) more than they are capable of doing.

Jrn14

Has anyone seen this? I'm sorry... I know this is trash, but I couldn't help but share because it's cracking me up!

Disney Releases Height Requirements for Toy Story Land & Parents are FURIOUS “Launching” Potential Boycott!!

Just announced from Disney, Toy Story Land’s Slinky Dog Dash & Alien Swirling Saucers will feature controversial height requirements. SSD will be 38″ and will be 32″ respectively. Parents have already chimed in and voiced their concerns that both attractions won’t be toddler friendly and will not be allowed for their children to “lap sit” on these attractions.

“With the Toy Story franchise primarily focusing on children under 30 inches; it defeats the purpose to even open up Andy’s backyard anymore!”, voiced Martha G. a mother of three and a fourth on the way. She then noted: “If Disney is going to continue to sheepishly introduce new family attractions and not include my entire family than I will have to take my business elsewhere.” Martha calls for other parents to boycott Toy Story Land and show that they support the lowering of the suggested safety height requirement.

Toy Story Land is scheduled to debut June 30th right before the busy July 4th Holiday week. Stay TOONED to this story as it develops.

Brian Swan

Has anyone seen this? I'm sorry... I know this is trash, but I couldn't help but share because it's cracking me up!

Disney Releases Height Requirements for Toy Story Land & Parents are FURIOUS “Launching” Potential Boycott!!

Just announced from Disney, Toy Story Land’s Slinky Dog Dash & Alien Swirling Saucers will feature controversial height requirements. SSD will be 38″ and *** will be 32″ respectively. Parents have already chimed in and voiced their concerns that both attractions won’t be toddler friendly and will not be allowed for their children to “lap sit” on these attractions.

“With the Toy Story franchise primarily focusing on children under 30 inches; it defeats the purpose to even open up Andy’s backyard anymore!”, voiced Martha G. a mother of three and a fourth on the way. She then noted: “If Disney is going to continue to sheepishly introduce new family attractions and not include my entire family than I will have to take my business elsewhere.” Martha calls for other parents to boycott Toy Story Land and show that they support the lowering of the suggested safety height requirement.

Toy Story Land is scheduled to debut June 30th right before the busy July 4th Holiday week. Stay TOONED to this story as it develops.
Go ahead, boycott. Shorter lines for the rest of us...

Club34

Just announced from Disney, Toy Story Land’s Slinky Dog Dash & Alien Swirling Saucers will feature controversial height requirements. SSD will be 38″ and *** will be 32″ respectively. Parents have already chimed in and voiced their concerns that both attractions won’t be toddler friendly and will not be allowed for their children to “lap sit” on these attractions.

I'm confused though...is this really just an arbitrary number? Is there not some risk management + physics involved? I would love nothing more than to see some parent strap their infant into RnRC and let'er rip but then I have a pretty sick sense of humor. What does Martha want? Andy's backyard of horror? I can empathize if this is true as it would be a complete design flaw but they just can't lower the number on a whim, right?

peter11435

I'm confused though...is this really just an arbitrary number? Is there not some risk management + physics involved? I would love nothing more than to see some parent strap their infant into RnRC and let'er rip but then I have a pretty sick sense of humor. What does Martha want? Andy's backyard of horror? I can empathize if this is true as it would be a complete design flaw but they just can't lower the number on a whim, right?
It is not an arbitrary number.

RSoxNo1

These height requirements were the most predictable height requirements Disney has ever done for a land.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

“With the Toy Story franchise primarily focusing on children under 30 inches; it defeats the purpose to even open up Andy’s backyard anymore!”

I understand this is a parody site, but, lest anyone think there's any truth to it, what follows is the average height of boys and girls giving their height for: the 3rd percentile at the lower end; 97th percentile at the higher end; and, the 50th percentile mean for each age. Underneath is the height requirements for various WDW attractions. I highlighted in red that by the age of 2, children can ride AsSwSa. And by the age of 3-4, they can ride SDD. Anyone who thinks a 1 year old should be able to lap sit on a coaster, no matter how tame, should have their child removed from them by Childrens' Protective Services.

1519097928991.png

matt9112

to be fair look at how most of fantasyland has no height requirement....i think they want all three parks to have a fantasyland ? scratches head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom