Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kman101

Yes, only one brain cell is required for this :hilarious:

I'm going to hope you mean only one brain cell required for the land ;) lol

Well, I get the need for the rides and I don't have a problem with them. I also get why people are upset this is what we're getting as half of a big makeover that still won't fill the parks needs. What if we got rid of the spinners and tea cups and various other minor rides (and, actually, I'd be just fine with that but I still understand the need to use them in the park to flesh it out, I can put my personal opinion aside).... the parks need to be fleshed out.

I'm not saying you Martin (your post was just a jumping off point), but I'm sorry Toy Story isn't the preferred option. It probably wasn't mine either, but it's here and I'm not going to dislike something on principal, but more power to those who do, nothing wrong with it.

andysol

I'm not saying you Martin (your post was just a jumping off point), but I'm sorry Toy Story isn't the preferred option. It probably wasn't mine either, but it's here and I'm not going to dislike something on principal, but more power to those who do, nothing wrong with it.

Right. The beauty about kid rides, Bs and Cs- is that they can fit in small spaces. You don’t need 11 acres.

It should have been a true Pixar place area. Monsters inc door coaster, an up or Wall-E dark ride, and an Incredibles simulator. Could’ve fit 3 solid rides w/ fleshed out mini lands in there + TSMM. Instead we get a couple identical spinners and a moderate coaster. 11 acres.

They could have rethemed RNRC to any number of themes and knocked down the sunset showcase building and built a handful of kiddie and spinners over there. Instead, we get a short lived villain party.

Regardless- I don’t want to beat a dead horse. My opinion is known on the matter. It’s over- this has its place, it fills a demographic that was needed, etc. But those who want to complain about the efficiency and maximization of space are well within their right. From now to eternity.

rreading

I'm going to hope you mean only one brain cell required for the land ;) lol

Well, I get the need for the rides and I don't have a problem with them. I also get why people are upset this is what we're getting as half of a big makeover that still won't fill the parks needs. What if we got rid of the spinners and tea cups and various other minor rides (and, actually, I'd be just fine with that but I still understand the need to use them in the park to flesh it out, I can put my personal opinion aside).... the parks need to be fleshed out.

We’re a bit difficult to please.

It kills me that they took out the park’s original people eater rather than update it when the park needs high capacity rides - particularly rides which are distinctive. The Great Movie Ride was a classic. While it’s possible that putting the mouse in the center of the park is a BIG step backwards needed to move forward- they haven’t shown evidence of that.

What does make sense is to convert the useless Pixar place street with it’s lame though popular orphan ride into a very popular region of the park. I have no doubt that this section of DHS will be well received.

Could it be better done? I’m sure we would say that everything over the last 20 years could have been better done (except Disney Springs - which is nicer than a mall has any right to be). Pandora gets close. New Fantasyland could have been better....

I’m looking forward to having it as park of a well fleshed-out park.

rreading

Right. The beauty about kid rides, Bs and Cs- is that they can fit in small spaces. You don’t need 11 acres.

It should have been a true Pixar place area. Monsters inc door coaster, an up or Wall-E dark ride, and an Incredibles simulator. Could’ve fit 3 solid rides w/ fleshed out mini lands in there + TSMM. Instead we get a couple identical spinners and a moderate coaster. 11 acres.

They could have rethemed RNRC to any number of themes and knocked down the sunset showcase building and built a handful of kiddie and spinners over there. Instead, we get a short lived villain party.

Regardless- I don’t want to beat a dead horse. My opinion is known on the matter. It’s over- this has its place, it fills a demographic that was needed, etc. But those who want to complain about the efficiency and maximization of space are well within their right. From now to eternity.

My rebuttal - and this point has certainly been made by others - is that Pixar Land would be like Disneyland- a mismash of completely disparate ideas. A Wall-E dark ride doesn’t fit next to Monsters inc any more than than MILF fits near Space Mountain.

I wouldn’t say that I would dislike your suggestion. Just shows that we all have different perspectives.

Goofyernmost

I don't disagree with you, but, everyone should take a look at DL when it first opened or MK, as far as that goes and it was sadly lacking in sufficient number of things to do. Yet, over the years it expanded, things were added and DL is now like being locked in a closet and even MK has a crowded feel to it. The era of instant gratification hopefully will end soon so people can enjoy what there is and not constantly lament about the things that aren't. Toy Story Land should be interesting to adults, but, seriously it was designed to amuse the whole family from the reasonably young to the morbidly old. It is what it is supposed to be. If the land is a failure, we will know soon enough, but, I truly doubt it will be.

Kman101

Oh I completely agree with you on this. My personal preference would be Monster's Inc. Door Coaster and moving over Laugh Floor. Still adding Toy Story Land, but also adding Cars Land where Star Wars is going. Push Star Wars past Star Tours into the back area and parking lot. Add an Indiana Jones boat ride to where the stunt show is. Add Mickey and Mickey in a new build, not replacing GMR. Update the GMR. Overhaul Animation Courtyard. Overhaul the dated shows.

Heck I'd have even gone a step further. I wish we had a Toontown in DHS. Roger Rabbit would fit right in.

Sigh.

There's so much more I'd do, but for what we're getting, I don't think TSL is awful. But it should be a small part of a much larger expansion than what we're getting. Star Wars and TSL are great but we need MUCH more.

I don't mind 11 acres on this land because it includes three rides that seem solid (I agree the space could still be used better), even though I don't like Mania very much, but I seem to be outranked on that by the throngs of guests that defend it and rush to experience it. And this is a park that has the benefit of expansion spaces (not a lot but they could more cleverly use some of them if they're willing to really commit to changing the layout) so the large land doesn't bother me as much but I agree in theory that an 11 acre land could offer SO MUCH more. It should have been a true "Pixar Place", I agree. But I think we could have it all. The full TSL land PLUS a true Pixar Place. But that costs $$ :/

And, for better or worse, the focus now seems to be on one-IP themed lands. Thanks, Harry ;)

Look at Shanghai Disneyland. Sure, Fantasyland has different IPs, but Tomorrowland is basically "Tron" (with a side dash of Buzz), Treasure Cove is "Pirates of the Caribbean", Adventure Isle is "Roaring Rapids". Gone are the days of a fully fleshed out land with several experiences tied to the overall theme of the land. Sure those lands do have other things to do but it's very focused on the IP.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't disagree with you, but, everyone should take a look at DL when it first opened or MK, as far as that goes and it was sadly lacking in sufficient number of things to do. Yet, over the years it expanded, things were added and DL is now like being locked in a closet and even MK has a crowded feel to it. The era of instant gratification hopefully will end soon so people can enjoy what there is and not constantly lament about the things that aren't. Toy Story Land should be interesting to adults, but, seriously it was designed to amuse the whole family from the reasonably young to the morbidly old. It is what it is supposed to be. If the land is a failure, we will know soon enough, but, I truly doubt it will be.
I think the complaint more is for the space available and the amount it cost we should have gotten more.

Kman101

We’re a bit difficult to please.

It kills me that they took out the park’s original people eater rather than update it when the park needs high capacity rides - particularly rides which are distinctive. The Great Movie Ride was a classic. While it’s possible that putting the mouse in the center of the park is a BIG step backwards needed to move forward- they haven’t shown evidence of that.

What does make sense is to convert the useless Pixar place street with it’s lame though popular orphan ride into a very popular region of the park. I have no doubt that this section of DHS will be well received.

Could it be better done? I’m sure we would say that everything over the last 20 years could have been better done (except Disney Springs - which is nicer than a mall has any right to be). Pandora gets close. New Fantasyland could have been better....

I’m looking forward to having it as park of a well fleshed-out park.

I totally get why they designed Mickey and Minnie to fit into the GMR space and I'm really looking forward to the ride, I'm hoping it's clever, original, and fun. It sounds like it will be. But it's in the wrong spot. The frustrating thing about this DHS makeover is that they take a few steps forward and then several steps backwards (like many of their decisions, actually). They have to know this park needs more than it's getting. They have to know it made more sense to put Mickey and Minnie elsewhere, but they didn't want to spend the money to update GMR. I wish we had better people making these decisions.

I also think Cars Land was MADE to be at the end of Streets of America, replacing the stunt show and catastrophe canyon. But hey, what do I know?

Kman101

I still think it was a pretty big missed opportunity to not work Catastrophy Canyon into a Cars Land attraction.

Me too. It would have fit perfectly in that spot. Would have gone from Cars Land to, in my head, Monsters Inc., then Toy Story land, then Toontown leading into a redone Animation Courtyard. Oh well. Nice to dream, I suppose.

EDIT:
Imagine walking down Hollywood Boulevard to an updated Great Movie Ride. Sunset Boulevard still has Tower of Terror. (I've always been iffy on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and I'd have liked the space used better but I guess it could still exist). You then transition to Toontown, which is expanding into a refreshed Animation Courtyard with the Mickey and Minnie ride. You go from classic Disney and Mickey into the world of Pixar with Toy Story Land, then Monstropolis, then Cars Land. Then you visit with the Muppets (or Marvel, if WDW had full rights, Muppets would be relocated), and then enter into the worlds of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. All that and refreshed stage shows ...

Talk about a full and fleshed out park!

Goofyernmost

I think the complaint more is for the space available and the amount it cost we should have gotten more.
And my thought is that there is a good chance that eventually it will be used more, just like Disneyland and Magic Kingdom have grown in activity, but, not so much in space.

Goofyernmost

I don’t think they can fit a dark ride under the coaster track.
OK, have it your way. The whole damn place is an absolute bust and with any luck at all WDW will just be a ghost town in the near future. The whole place is not worth the gunpowder to blow it to hell. Contrary to your constant insistence there is a tomorrow, not everything is about today and yesterday. Just a couple of years back there was no place left to build TSL or SWL, yet it is being built. Perhaps not to the liking of some of you, but, it is growing out of previously claimed very dead space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom