Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

CaptainAmerica

Yes. The remaining costs of construction go into Q3 without operational costs (bookings are strong in Q3, so that’s “fine”). Summer bookings have been soft in recent years, but of course all of the guests who didn’t come for Pandora will now book in Q4 ‘18 for this exciting land. And with the announced opening, those bookings will be in Q4. Telephone agents are awaiting your call to book.

So says the PowerPoint slides.
They'd still get hit with that first quarter of depreciation though, right? My understanding is that depreciation isn't pro-rated within the quarter. So if it's open in Q3 even for one day, Q3 depreciation will hit in full.

nickys

Premium Member
I like how Disney is timing these openings to be during the AP block out periods. Pandora was slightly before, but you had to earn those rides. I wonder if Mickey is next.

But Pandora was all DVC and AP previews, no real soft openings. So AP holders didn't exactly lose out. Also DVC members needed to be staying onsite to book, AP holders didn't.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Nuts and Bolts are not a big break in theming for Big Thunder since it's supposed to be an actual railroad, although real tracks don't exactly look like that. Having exposed nuts and bolts for Slinkey Dog would be a thematic break since it's supposed to be a children's toy so wouldn't have nuts and bolts holding it together.

smile

Yes. The remaining costs of construction go into Q3 without operational costs (bookings are strong in Q3, so that’s “fine”). Summer bookings have been soft in recent years, but of course all of the guests who didn’t come for Pandora will now book in Q4 ‘18 for this exciting land. And with the announced opening, those bookings will be in Q4. Telephone agents are awaiting your call to book.

So says the PowerPoint slides.

but, of course...
lest anyone forget twdc is a b_________
:p

I'm excited for this! We won't be able to experience it though, as we'll be there three weeks prior. ): That just means that when we do get back down there, the kinks will be worked out and it will be "lived in" for a bit.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
I’m honestly a little shocked they’re waiting for June. They could easily have this open early/mid May. Does anyone know why? I’d think they would want to open it just before summer so they could work out the kinks with soft openings, like Pandora.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Slinky coaster will have some props along the sides at the launches, and in the queue building, but the track itself looks like exactly what it is: a standard roller coaster. There's no attempt to make it look like anything else.

Andy will be happy to hear that, that's what he was going for!

Casper Gutman

Nuts and Bolts are not a big break in theming for Big Thunder since it's supposed to be an actual railroad, although real tracks don't exactly look like that. Having exposed nuts and bolts for Slinkey Dog would be a thematic break since it's supposed to be a children's toy so wouldn't have nuts and bolts holding it together.
You don't get it - it's an INCREDIBLY REALISTIC toy roller coaster set. Really impressive detailing. And Andy is a very skilled welder for his age.

Also, the toy set was made by real Toydarian craftsmen!

...wait...I may be getting my backstories mixed up here...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Aren't all the WDW railroads supposed to be actual railroads?

nickys

Premium Member
I’m honestly a little shocked they’re waiting for June. They could easily have this open early/mid May. Does anyone know why? I’d think they would want to open it just before summer so they could work out the kinks with soft openings, like Pandora.

@MansionButler84 posted just a page or so back. Fiscal reasons.

They likely will run previews from early/mid May, could be soft openings. Depends how they want to play it.

lazyboy97o

End of June is just 30 days later than what we all expected. Disney has been saying "Summer" for months.

Yes, I'd be pleased if they opened it early, but it's not like a year delay.
It just further highlights the troubles that plague Disney’s development process. The other two launch Mack coaster opening in the US this year is still slated for Spring.

CJR

But Pandora was all DVC and AP previews, no real soft openings. So AP holders didn't exactly lose out. Also DVC members needed to be staying onsite to book, AP holders didn't.

They did, Pandora also opened officially while both weekday and silver people could go. I'm just saying, it took a lot of work to do that. For the previews, you had to go during a set time. Even now, going to Pandora is still a lot of work, IMO.

Even then though, the previews were only good if you actually got the invite and registered pretty much immediately upon its receipt (I didn't get one and I was Platinum Plus at the time...). You were pretty lucky if you got to go to Pandora before blockout dates began in early June.

If they pull that move this year, hopefully they do a better job. Seemed like they slapped that together at the last minute last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom