Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Macca250

I’ve seen quite a few grumblings in this thread about the speed of Toy Story Land’s construction. But to be fair, it’s an improvement on the mine train...
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Goofyernmost

Get used to it, Tron is very short too.
I don't have to get used to it. I don't have any problem with it at all. Everything has it's own purpose and it's own value. I was actually agreeing that it is short, but, short isn't automatically bad. RnRC, 7DMT and now the TSL one... not a problem for me.

ToTBellHop

I don't have to get used to it. I don't have any problem with it at all. Everything has it's own purpose and it's own value. I was actually agreeing that it is short, but, short isn't automatically bad. RnRC, 7DMT and now the TSL one... not a problem for me.
Agreed. Most coasters have a short ride time, especially if we don't include the lift hill(s). Nature of the beast.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I believe it's 11 acres.

Yes, if you include TSMM, which is indeed part of the land.

including backstage areas :(

Uh.... what backstage area? There isn't any building that is 'backstage' that is in the land. There is a storage shed for the coasters, but no one, when reporting on the acreage of MK, let's say, cuts out all the rides storage sheds. Similarly, the CM paths and control rooms are all minimal.

ToTBellHop

Yes, if you include TSMM, which is indeed part of the land.

Uh.... what backstage area? There isn't any building that is 'backstage' that is in the land. There is a storage shed for the coasters, but no one, when reporting on the acreage of MK, let's say, cuts out all the rides storage sheds. Similarly, the CM paths and control rooms are all minimal.
I do however think they are including Midway Mania.

Rich T

Agreed. Most coasters have a short ride time, especially if we don't include the lift hill(s). Nature of the beast.
A coaster can be as long as the designer and park owner want. The dual-launch Taron at Phantasialand is a beautifully themed, high-speed, lengthy coaster that breaks several records (yet due to local height restrictions is no taller than Slinky). Disney is not interested in spending that much money on their dual-launch coaster (although, who knows, maybe Imagineering can "magically" make the Slinky ride cost as much as Taron.

But, of course, what's important is how "satisfying" the overall ride experience is. Big Thunder is a satisfying ride. Space Mountain (especially at DL) is the perfect length for that experience. Voyage at Holiday World is epic-length for a ride that goes that fast and it leaves riders ecstatic. Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point is super-short but leaves everyone happy with its intensity. California Screamin'? Long and perfect.

But if a ride leaves most riders thinking, "Man, that should be a bit longer," (7 Dwarfs, Tron in Shanghai), then there's a problem. The jury's out on Slinky till it opens. It looks fun. Maybe a bit short. We'll see.

Last edited:

Rider

Of course Disney will always have a self imposed limit on size of roller coasters. They would never build something big like Hulk or Fury 365 because huge rides are not their market.

Casper Gutman

Of course Disney will always have a self imposed limit on size of roller coasters. They would never build something big like Hulk or Fury 365 because huge rides are not their market.
Barely themed naked coasters aren't their market either, but they're getting ready to open a land that offers little else. Why let tradition stop them from building some giant coasters?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

As someone who has previously stated I'm only here for the construction photos, I think the back and forth has been hilarious. It's even better since its done mostly by people who will either:

A) Never actually set foot in TSL...
B) Set foot in TSL, but never tell anyone...
C) Set foot in TSL, actually enjoy themselves, but keep up the front that Disney let them down...
or
D) Obsessively watch ALL the walk-thru and ride-thru videos, and uphold some irrelevant blogger's opinion as their own...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom