Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Amidala

This land was always going to seem underwhelming when you pair it right next to SWL. And maybe that's the point. This is where the kids who aren't quite old/big enough for the big E-tickets at SWL can enjoy themselves with their parents. To a certain degree, this project feels a little Bugs Land-esque.

That's a really fair point...but just because there are other examples of barely-themed play areas, doesn't mean they're going to be well-received (isn't Bug's Land on its way out, too?). I think part of the issue is that TDO has hyped TSL so much. My expectation (before checking out the other TSLs abroad on youtube and looking at some of the progress pictures for WDW's TSL) was of a more intimate land with the same level of detail found at Pandora and SWL.

I guess I get TSL as a business move (DHS needs whatever it can get) but would have loved to see a Pixar IP get a more "immersive" land that appealed to children but still felt authentic and awe-inspiring for adult fans of the movie(s).

becca_

But it just feels kind of underwhelming overall.
I guess what I don't understand is how this is underwhelming when it's not even close to being done, you haven't seen more than photos of the coaster being put into place & the Alien Saucer ride being worked on, etc. Nothing is done 100% yet.

Are you literally JUST basing this opinion on the fact that there's only 2 new rides, a QS, and some bathrooms?
Aka, Pandora? Which turned out to be one of, if not, the best themed place in WDW?

I don't understand those being so nitpicky and critical when we haven't seen it yet - and even when you look at how other TSLs are in other parks, doesn't necessarily mean ours is going to be a 100% carbon copy (unless it is going to be, then I can understand some criticism).

Amidala

I guess what I don't understand is how this is underwhelming when it's not even close to being done, you haven't seen more than photos of the coaster being put into place & the Alien Saucer ride being worked on, etc. Nothing is done 100% yet.

Are you literally JUST basing this opinion on the fact that there's only 2 new rides, a QS, and some bathrooms?
Aka, Pandora? Which turned out to be one of, if not, the best themed place in WDW?

I don't understand those being so nitpicky and critical when we haven't seen it yet - and even when you look at how other TSLs are in other parks, doesn't necessarily mean ours is going to be a 100% carbon copy (unless it is going to be, then I can understand some criticism).

Well, I haven't judged the quality of the attractions at all, and won't say a word against them until I've ridden them. Also don't care how many attractions, restaurants and bathrooms there are in an area–quality over quantity. My only nitpick here (and I'm hardly the first person to say this) is that the theming feels especially weak after Pandora's opening, and with SWL just around the corner. I doubt our TSL will be a 100% carbon copy of other TSLs, but based on concept art and what's currently being built, the attractions will be the only significant differences (ours seem to be less "off the shelf" and higher in quality). It retains the "Andy's Backyard" concept which...in itself is a weak theme, and one that we've already seen in the queue for TMM (and arguably at the value resorts).

Planting some tall grass and putting in some oversized toys is not going to make guests feel that they've shrunken down to the size of Woody and Buzz. In fact, I can't imagine how an Andy's Backyard concept could ever be executed in a way that feels genuinely immersive for guests of all ages (as Pandora does, and SWL likely will). And while that might seem like a tall order...it's Disney's job and they have the $$$ to back it up. Even a detailed and accurate recreation of one, small location in Toy Story, paired with a C-Ticket dark ride, would have had me more excited than what we're being offered here.

But like I said...I'm not writing off the land completely, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun! Just don't think fun is enough when it comes to themed areas.

becca_

Well, I haven't judged the quality of the attractions at all, and won't say a word against them until I've ridden them. Also don't care how many attractions, restaurants and bathrooms there are in an area–quality over quantity. My only nitpick here (and I'm hardly the first person to say this) is that the theming feels especially weak after Pandora's opening, and with SWL just around the corner. I doubt our TSL will be a 100% carbon copy of other TSLs, but based on concept art and what's currently being built, the attractions will be the only significant differences (ours seem to be less "off the shelf" and higher in quality). It retains the "Andy's Backyard" concept which...in itself is a weak theme, and one that we've already seen in the queue for TMM (and arguably at the value resorts).

Planting some tall grass and putting in some oversized toys is not going to make guests feel that they've shrunken down to the size of Woody and Buzz. In fact, I can't imagine how an Andy's Backyard concept could ever be executed in a way that feels genuinely immersive for guests of all ages (as Pandora does, and SWL likely will). And while that might seem like a tall order...it's Disney's job and they have the $$$ to back it up. Even a detailed and accurate recreation of one, small location in Toy Story, paired with a C-Ticket dark ride, would have had me more excited than what we're being offered here.

But like I said...I'm not writing off the land completely, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun! Just don't think fun is enough when it comes to themed areas.
Makes more sense, I just really couldn't understand the other side of things.

I think it makes sense to do the theming of "being shrunk" only because that's the whole storyline of the TS franchise. I don't know what they really could have done - sticking with TSL - that would thematically make "sense" besides not doing it. I feel like maybe there's a chance that TDO knows how high the standards are raised for TSL/SW:GE after Pandora has been so well received.

I guess we shall see!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Makes more sense, I just really couldn't understand the other side of things.

I think it makes sense to do the theming of "being shrunk" only because that's the whole storyline of the TS franchise. I don't know what they really could have done - sticking with TSL - that would thematically make "sense" besides not doing it. I feel like maybe there's a chance that TDO knows how high the standards are raised for TSL/SW:GE after Pandora has been so well received.

I guess we shall see!
I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the concept art hasn't instilled many with confidence. And I truly doubt it will come close to achieving Pandora/SWL level of detail. But then again, we'll have to wait for the finished product.

WDWbuff2001

Why are we even discussing this!? None of us have seen the land and what it offers.. what it is is speculation for a lot of things... When the land Opens summer of 2018 then I hope to see these conversations... but for now just stop it's annoying

lazyboy97o

Because Disney wanted it that way. And really, I don't want to intentionally upset anyone, but, it totally boggles the mind how anyone would even think of these questions much less think that everything can be exactly to scale unless we are physically able to shrink ourselves down to the appropriate size. Even in order to ride the coaster we have to be smaller then the toys are. Or in the words of the Dreamfinder... Imagination, Imagination, a dream can be a dream come true, one little spark lights up for you.
Every bit of documentation for the land is done at scale. The idea that the scale of the objects included cannot be consistent is laughable. It is their job to draw and document to scale.

Casper Gutman

Why are we even discussing this!? None of us have seen the land and what it offers.. what it is is speculation for a lot of things... When the land Opens summer of 2018 then I hope to see these conversations... but for now just stop it's annoying
Yeah, its not like we have numerous pieces of artwork, several examples of extant lands, and extensive images of construction. We just have NO idea what this land will look like! Why are we speculating on a board dedicated to speculation?

LithiumBill

Every bit of documentation for the land is done at scale. The idea that the scale of the objects included cannot be consistent is laughable. It is their job to draw and document to scale.
I think the point (unless I missed it) was that Toys in general are not of the same scale. Hot Wheels, action figures, dolls, blocks, army men, Dinosaurs... etc... they are all different scales. Those of us that were GI JOE kids and tried to combine those with the vehicles from say, He-Man (am I showing my age?) know exactly what I am talking about. ;)

Amidala

And i think, even if this theme was executed perfectly to scale, it wouldn't have the same wow-factor as the other themed lands. Just my opinion here, but it doesn't feel like the kind of theme that could "transport" guests somewhere else.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why are we even dis cussing this!? None of us have seen the land and what it offers.. what it is is speculation for a lot of things... When the land Opens summer of 2018 then I hope to see these conversations... but for now just stop it's annoying

If you go on a movie discussion board you will see extensive discussion of movies that have not been released yet. I you go on a car discussion board you will see extensive discussion of cars that are not available yet. These is nothing wrong with having a discussion of a project based on information that is currently available. I also have to wonder why you even looked at this thread if you aren't interested in discussing something that isn't open yet?

Last edited:

BlindChow

The fact that TSL is beginning to feel like a quickie land to give guests something to do outside of SWL has a lot to do w/ why I've been nitpicking so much, although I obviously can't speak for everyone else here. "But this is for kids!" is the constant excuse....
The Imagineers pitching Toy Story Land...

You know for kids.jpg

BlindChow

This land was always going to seem underwhelming when you pair it right next to SWL. And maybe that's the point. This is where the kids who aren't quite old/big enough for the big E-tickets at SWL can enjoy themselves with their parents. To a certain degree, this project feels a little Bugs Land-esque.
I found A Bugs Land to be extremely detailed when I was there. I was impressed. They did an excellent job with what they had. Even the rides, which are mostly conventional spinners, are themselves quite well-themed (except for maybe the Lady Bug one...).

Honestly, I fear TSL won't even reach the level of Bug's Land...

lazyboy97o

I think the point (unless I missed it) was that Toys in general are not of the same scale. Hot Wheels, action figures, dolls, blocks, army men, Dinosaurs... etc... they are all different scales. Those of us that were GI JOE kids and tried to combine those with the vehicles from say, He-Man (am I showing my age?) know exactly what I am talking about. ;)
Nobody is complaining that the toys are different sizes. The complaint is that the scaling is not consistent. The Land should be built so that a guest is GI Joe height or He-Man height or Hot Wheels height with everything bigger or smaller based on that set perspective. You shouldn’t be GI Joe height on the ride and He-Man height on the walkways.

Disneyhead'71

Nobody is complaining that the toys are different sizes. The complaint is that the scaling is not consistent. The Land should be built so that a guest is GI Joe height or He-Man height or Hot Wheels height with everything bigger or smaller based on that set perspective. You shouldn’t be GI Joe height on the ride and He-Man height on the walkways.
The land is scaled to where guests are supposed to be the size of little green army men.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom