Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rodan75

The pics from bioreconstruct today look like they could be cycling both rides in 6 months, let alone a year. Maybe open by spring break season at the earliest?

I'm assuming the roofing for the claw whip ride is going to be installed in large prefab sections, which would explain why they are installing the aliens now?

And that coaster is looking much more thrilling than I expected. I mean it looks like the best of the Six Flags mid-range coasters, which is a compliment. It will be a nice training coaster on the way up to RnRC. Adding a Goofy level coaster would give DHS a nice coaster family.

hpyhnt 1000

The coaster seems like it could pack a mild thrill to it. The track appears relatively "bouncy," with quite a few little bunny hops in the first half (yellow arrows). I guess they're really trying for a slinky-like feel to the ride.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 9.40.19 AM.png

The decorative concrete walkways inside the ride path is an interesting development. I don't quite see how these can be guest pathways as usually pathways under rollercoasters are avoided where possible due to the potential of falling debris from passing trains. That said, it's clear that these pathways are for something more.

The paths are present in the concept art. I'm guessing they're modestly "themed" maintenance walkways for equipment access. They're spread throughout the interior (see yellow lines).

Also, it looks like you can start to see the footings for some of the block towers and other props that will stand over/next to the coaster track (red circles). And the 2nd launch section is taking shape, with the mounting points for the arches clearly visible (orange numbers).

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 9.20.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 9.20.48 AM.png

NormC

The problem is that the story is an excuse. Doesn't matter that it's outdoors and exposed... it looks absolutely nothing like a make-shift roller coaster that a boy made in his backyard. It looks like a typical steel roller coaster you'd find at another park, with typical track, typical supports, launch equipment, etc. If Disney wanted to sell the story and make it look better, they could've at least dressed up the supports. But they didn't and they aren't going to.

It will look like a coaster built by Six Flags, not by a child.
It also isn't finished or themed yet.

sedati

While I agree the apparent loss of many of the dug out trenches is dissapointing, I do think the change in the opening moments of this ride are definitely for the better- especially now seeing the actual track. Not only are we getting a launch (instead of a slow lift hill that topped out into a slow helix) we can see in the laid-out track that the first maneuver now banks to the right before making the full and steep curve to the left. Should be a much more thrilling moment- and as I mentioned before, will do more to hide the views beyond the land that I think would have been a downside to the earlier design.

Jones14

While I agree the apparent loss of many of the dug out trenches is dissapointing, I do think the change in the opening moments of this ride are definitely for the better- especially now seeing the actual track. Not only are we getting a launch (instead of a slow lift hill that topped out into a slow helix) we can see in the laid-out track that the first maneuver now banks to the right before making the full and steep curve to the left. Should be a much more thrilling moment- and as I mentioned before, will do more to hide the views beyond the land that I think would have been a downside to the earlier design.
I'd agree with you. I also think that - for all its faults - the land will provide some much needed kinetic energy to a park that currently only has the Tower's elevator doors, Gertie's nostrils, and Mickey's Mouse About Town arm to show for.

MrHappy

Also, it looks like you can start to see the footings for some of the block towers and other props that will stand over/next to the coaster track (red circles). And the 2nd launch section is taking shape, with the mounting points for the arches clearly visible (orange numbers).

View attachment 208373

View attachment 208372

How will the 2nd launch section work? To begin, you get blasted out of the load area and take a hard right and complete that side of the coaster, then will it slow or even stop as you go under the foot bridge and approach the 2nd launch...to then get blasted off again to complete the ride and into the unload/load station?

MrHappy

Sounds about right to me.
I'm not a coaster expert, but this sound rather unique. Even if it's been done (a 2nd launch) in the world, it's unique to WDW. Good to know it's not all that "generic" that many have mocked this land for. The queue building seems relatively large as well, I wonder what surprises we'll see in there to get more people on the band wagon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How will the 2nd launch section work? To begin, you get blasted out of the load area and take a hard right and complete that side of the coaster, then will it slow or even stop as you go under the foot bridge and approach the 2nd launch...to then get blasted off again to complete the ride and into the unload/load station?

I'm not a coaster expert, but this sound rather unique. Even if it's been done (a 2nd launch) in the world, it's unique to WDW. Good to know it's not all that "generic" that many have mocked this land for. The queue building seems relatively large as well, I wonder what surprises we'll see in there to get more people on the band wagon.

Look for a POV of Cheetah Hunt at BGT.

Don't get too excited over the queue building.

Rutt

The problem is that the story is an excuse. Doesn't matter that it's outdoors and exposed... it looks absolutely nothing like a make-shift roller coaster that a boy made in his backyard. It looks like a typical steel roller coaster you'd find at another park, with typical track, typical supports, launch equipment, etc. If Disney wanted to sell the story and make it look better, they could've at least dressed up the supports. But they didn't and they aren't going to.

It will look like a coaster built by Six Flags, not by a child.
I dont know kinda looks like a K'nex coaster to me. If they launch us with a rubber band, even better.....

Don't get too excited over the queue building.

How not excited should we get? Im not expecting the world, but are we talking plain Jane? SDMT level? Somewhere in between?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I dont know kinda looks like a K'nex coaster to me. If they launch us with a rubber band, even better.....

How not excited should we get? Im not expecting the world, but are we talking plain Jane? SDMT level? Somewhere in between?
Jane. It'll be cute but the queue will be undercover switchbacks, over half the main load building as seen on the plans is backstage. The rest will be load / unload and through Track.

Kman101

But it's *gasp* EXPOSED! We must hate it!!

Heh just having fun.

I agree it's going to be fun.

Since the announcement of this land, I always felt DHS could benefit a lot better from a PixarLand instead of just one IP. The whole Pixar Place, where TSMM is, even has a pretty nice entrance. I have to say, WDI missed a big chance to have a play ground like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids one. I know I would've spent hours as a child playing in a "Andy's Room" or "Al's Toy Barn" playground.

sedati

There were different kinds of accelerators/boosters for toys that Andy may have had, or more likely inherited from his dad. What I'm picturing happening is that we'll come to a full stop below the bridge. We'll hear a revving up sound (Hopefully sounding like the Evil Knieval Stunt Cycle) that builds until we blast off. At night those rings may light up, and as we zoom past, those orange turbines on either side will spin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom