Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PizzaPlanet

Could these be decorative track pieces, or do they still have to be placed?
DA8ML94W0AAaF0o.jpeg

andysol

Several things have renewed my interest in this project:
1) The significant budget the domestic parks are being given this fiscal year. Unprecedented in both actual spending and spending adjusted for inflation
2) The overall success and impressions of Pandora. They knocked the land out of the park, and they did it on time- having softs well in advance and doing them very well. On the flip side, Volcano Bay had no softs and have had a plethora of issues. In stark contrast to the opposite we saw last year with Kong opening early and Frozen being pushed back. Meanwhile; Star Wars Land gets bumped to 2019 when we all thought 2020 at the earliest, and F&F over at Uni got bumped from 2017 to 2018. Have the tides finally turned? It appears so on these recent projects that the mouse is mashing the pedal all the way to the floor. I would think this project moves faster than anticipated from this point on- both due to labor resources from Pandora, but also the increased budget that is meant to speed both this and SWL up (spreading the cost over fewer quarters)

Disney has, after a long span for me, built back up my interest and positivity on their projects- and I actually feel good about this one, even barring the concept art change.

The slinky coaster will be fantastic for the height requirement it offers and TSL will be perfect for the much ignored (in DHS) demographic they are targeting.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
1) The significant budget the domestic parks are being given this fiscal year. Unprecedented in both actual spending and spending adjusted for inflation
2) The overall success and impressions of Pandora. They knocked the land out of the park, and they did it on time- having softs well in advance and doing them very well. On the flip side, Volcano Bay had no softs and have had a plethora of issues. In stark contrast to the opposite we saw last year with Kong opening early and Frozen being pushed back. Meanwhile; Star Wars Land gets bumped to 2019 when we all thought 2020 at the earliest, and F&F over at Uni got bumped from 2017 to 2018. Have the tides finally turned? It appears so on these recent projects that the mouse is mashing the pedal all the way to the floor. I would think this project moves faster than anticipated from this point on- both due to labor resources from Pandora, but also the increased budget that is meant to speed both this and SWL up (spreading the cost over fewer quarters)

Disney has, after a long span for me, built back up my interest and positivity on their projects- and I actually feel good about this one, even barring the concept art change.

The slinky coaster will be fantastic for the height requirement it offers and TSL will be perfect for the much ignored (in DHS) demographic they are targeting.

Technically speaker, Avatar land was late....

"At today's Walt Disney Company shareholders meeting in Kansas, Disney CEO Bob Iger reaffirmed that AVATAR land will be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom, and should open in 2015. There has been some recent speculation around the Internet that the AVATAR land project may be struggling to get off the ground. This news would certainly seem to contradict that notion."

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...coming-to-disney's-animal-kingdom-in-2015.htm

Bacon

When I last heard, it was still a May grand opening. It could certainly soft open earlier in the spring. Certainly not calendar year 2017, JT.
May next year for toy story? that soon? well I guess it will take faster to make then Pandora cause they had to create tech for Pandora

Jones14

I may have said this before, but I wonder if they will update TSMM to have new game sequences like they did when Toy Story 3 came out. It'd certainly help my overall impression of the land if they could offer me 3 "new" ride experiences.

PorterRedkey

I may have said this before, but I wonder if they will update TSMM to have new game sequences like they did when Toy Story 3 came out. It'd certainly help my overall impression of the land if they could offer me 3 "new" ride experiences.
It could include characters from Toy Story 4: Toys meet the plastic recycling plant.

PorterRedkey

I do think an upgrade is likely for TSMM, whether it is for Toy Story 4 or other current Toy Story characters. Or maybe this will be the 50th addition.

flyerjab

Great post! For the first few years I visited WDW starting in 2009, there was not much happening in the theme parks beyond the NFL expansion, which seemed to leave a lot of fans asking, "is that it?" The saving graces for me with that project was that although lacking, the theming was beautiful, and the change to the Mine Train from what it was originally supposed to be definitely helped.

My interest in seeing things turn around a bit started with the Festival of Fantasy Parade. The parade was an eye opener. I am also a huge fan of what has happened in Disney Springs. Following all of the changes there, we now make that a part of each trip (for the food options alone).

In the parks, though, DAK was the first one that really grabbed my attention. The addition of the absolutely gorgeous Lion King Theater District and the Harambe Marketplace turned a one-way street-themed area into an expansive space to explore. And Tiffins/Nomad Lounge is simply the top of the line for dining in WDW…just a great addition to that park. But now, seeing Pandora and what the Imagineers are capable of has reinvigorated my interest even more than before. It is a stunning, breathtaking addition to DAK with a world-class E-Ticket headliner attraction.

I know that TSL is not on the same scale, but I personally still think that it will be a really nice land to spend time in. It really is an addition to the already popular TSMM. So now, add to that a nice-sized family coaster and a cool flat ride, and I am excited for when this opens. Don't get me wrong; I am disappointed that some of the theming was dropped. But I still think that this will be a great addition to DHS, and will offer something for families and smaller kids to enjoy (as well as some of us big kids).

And SWL…well, after seeing Pandora, I can only imagine how incredible that is going to be.

YodaMan

TSMM has always had the option of turning on existing overlays for the holidays and such. But the ride has always been too popular so those overlays have gone unused since they don't want to encourage more guests to ride. Hopefully they will be utilized when TSL opens, even if it's just an attempt to label the ride as "new."

HMF

TSMM has always had the option of turning on existing overlays for the holidays and such. But the ride has always been too popular so those overlays have gone unused since they don't want to encourage more guests to ride. Hopefully they will be utilized when TSL opens, even if it's just an attempt to label the ride as "new."
Considering WDW only does holiday overlays with the bare minimum in terms of theming (Jingle Cruise) I wouldn't expect any for Midway.

Marlins1

Great post! For the first few years I visited WDW starting in 2009, there was not much happening in the theme parks beyond the NFL expansion, which seemed to leave a lot of fans asking, "is that it?" The saving graces for me with that project was that although lacking, the theming was beautiful, and the change to the Mine Train from what it was originally supposed to be definitely helped.

My interest in seeing things turn around a bit started with the Festival of Fantasy Parade. The parade was an eye opener. I am also a huge fan of what has happened in Disney Springs. Following all of the changes there, we now make that a part of each trip (for the food options alone).

In the parks, though, DAK was the first one that really grabbed my attention. The addition of the absolutely gorgeous Lion King Theater District and the Harambe Marketplace turned a one-way street-themed area into an expansive space to explore. And Tiffins/Nomad Lounge is simply the top of the line for dining in WDW…just a great addition to that park. But now, seeing Pandora and what the Imagineers are capable of has reinvigorated my interest even more than before. It is a stunning, breathtaking addition to DAK with a world-class E-Ticket headliner attraction.

I know that TSL is not on the same scale, but I personally still think that it will be a really nice land to spend time in. It really is an addition to the already popular TSMM. So now, add to that a nice-sized family coaster and a cool flat ride, and I am excited for when this opens. Don't get me wrong; I am disappointed that some of the theming was dropped. But I still think that this will be a great addition to DHS, and will offer something for families and smaller kids to enjoy (as well as some of us big kids).

And SWL…well, after seeing Pandora, I can only imagine how incredible that is going to be.
Great post - I agree that Harambe expansion, DS and FOF were the first Disney level quality additions to come along in years and were a sign of things to come. In addition to the park additions, the transportation and hotel service improvement projects are going to be great vacation enhancements.

discos

Considering WDW only does holiday overlays with the bare minimum in terms of theming (Jingle Cruise) I wouldn't expect any for Midway.
Realistically holiday overlays for Midway would prob be easier than other attractions. I believe the above comment to be true though about not doing the overlay since it would pull even larger crowds and that attraction doesn't need bigger crowds right now as it is.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
When I last heard, it was still a May grand opening. It could certainly soft open earlier in the spring. Certainly not calendar year 2017, JT.

So, we're less than a year away! That's pretty exciting! Though I'm sure it's opening is a catch 22... Hollywood Studios could really use some more attractions, though I'm sure the opening of this section will result in more people coming to Hollywood Studios than the capacity the new land will add likely dramatically increasing wait times for Midway Mania and possibly Tot and RnR as well... nonetheless, it seems to be just the start of a bunch of new capital at Hollywood Studios, so in the end, I'm sure it will all be worthwhile!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom