Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

djkidkaz

I do find it slightly strange that Disney is announcing the opening date of TSL at D23 though. Doesn't Disney generally wait until a few months before opening to give specifics like that? If its actually a year out, then announcing that next month seems a little strange unless its going to just be the general "Summer 2018". Obviously a handful of things were cut from this land, which would definitely expedite the process but looking at this photo of Pandora from October 2016, which was just 7 months away from opening makes it seem like there is still quite a bit of work to be done on TSL.
xLD9.jpg

lazyboy97o

I do find it slightly strange that Disney is announcing the opening date of TSL at D23 though. Doesn't Disney generally wait until a few months before opening to give specifics like that? If its actually a year out, then announcing that next month seems a little strange unless its going to just be the general "Summer 2018". Obviously a handful of things were cut from this land, which would definitely expedite the process but looking at this photo of Pandora from October 2016, which was just 7 months away from opening makes it seem like there is still quite a bit of work to be done on TSL.
View attachment 207395
Its coaster and flat ride. Announcing, building and opening routinely happen in a year. A roller coaster can go from idea to open in 18 - 24 months.

Kman101

And they're already laying coaster track. I see no reason this can't be open by Memorial Day 2018. I'd even imagine softs before hand. Maybe not quite on the level of Pandora but I don't see them running into any real issues with a land this basic.

doctornick

Look at all that space...

Yeah, so inefficient. Coasters are generally a poor use of land in terms of acreage versus ride time, but one advantage they have is that they can be over other structures which can help to be efficient with land use -- but Slinky doesn't seem to be over anything, so it's taking a lot of space for what will be like a 1.5 minute ride.

TSL does seem like it will have some open areas and space for guests. Perhaps they are designing it in advance for the crowds Star Wars will bring, so they can have room for the inevitable lines to get into that land more than they are worried about how the space is used for TSL itself.

Chicagoshannon2

If it wasn't for them having to reconfigure the entrance to TSM I'd totally believe the area would open by the end of this year. The Alien ride looks pretty far along and with the coaster going in... It would be nice if they let the character free roam in this area. I can see at least the army men will roam like they do now (or did last time I was there).

Atomicmickey

If you think this is interesting just wait until they start putting up steel at SWL in the next week or so. The concrete work is about to start getting really complex over at SWL too.

I guess I've been thinking that it would go up in much the same order as DL's version . . . but the space is different, and they
have a bit more room to move around--never mind the work that needed to be done on Rivers of America.

From a layout/design infrastructure standpoint, how different will this be than DL's? I guess I figured "clone" but the two plots of land are a bit different, etc.

We know the rides are identical, but how about the rockwork/land around them?

FullSailDan

"Disney doesn't own Twilight Zone or Aerosmith, so are we rooting for the attractions featuring those properties to be ripped out for the sake of coherence?

Long term Im of the mindset that the theme of RnR isnt going to stay. And I'm still not sold on ToT staying completely true to to what it is today. I'm not on the Guardians bandwagon but I believe the imagineers are toiling away trying to figure it out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom