Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's going to be nicer than storybook as the main coaster will offer more thrill and be longer than goofys whatever it's called now. But even with that being said this isn't a big deal just one nice ride with some fluff on the side.

While not too big a deal, TSL is giving TSMM, one of the most popular rides in WDW, a thematic place to live. Previously, it was just a standalone attraction with a slightly themed alley and store across that alley... it didn't 'fit' into a themed section of the park. Now it will 'live' in a fully immersive Land. Add in family friendly coaster and ride... TSL will be a family-friendly destination.

SWL will be somewhat family-friendly. Disney Jr. is family-friendly. TGMR, which has little appeal to kids, is becoming a Mickey Ride.

There's a recurring motif here... Whatever DHS becomes, it is not going to be the park for teens and adults with very little for kids. It's going to hit all age demographics.

HMF

I'm glad you agree.
I guess you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic. Seriously though, DHS is going to have insane crowd levels when SWL opens. why would you want to get rid of a people-eating Attraction with great capacity like GMR for a shorter attraction in the same space when you have an under-utilized building across the street begging for an attraction?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I guess you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic. Seriously though, DHS is going to have insane crowd levels when SWL opens. why would you want to get rid of a people-eating Attraction with great capacity like GMR for a shorter attraction in the same space when you have an under-utilized building across the street begging for an attraction?

Sorry for missing the sarcasm.

There's an answer, but you've already disagreed with it (as has many fans of GMR): DHS is going to be a park for Disney movie and TV IPs. A ride featuring other studios' movies doesn't fit. Mickey, the ultimate symbol of Disney, is literally taking center stage.

HMF

Sorry for missing the sarcasm.

There's an answer, but you've already disagreed with it (as has many fans of GMR): DHS is going to be a park for Disney movie and TV IPs. A ride featuring other studios' movies doesn't fit. Mickey, the ultimate symbol of Disney, is literally taking center stage.
I really don't hink it's nessacary or a particularly good idea. They are great movies. whether Disney made them or not and it goes against the foundation of the park and as we have seen in the past the foundation ties the whole thing together and when it is eroded, The theme suffers. If we are going to go with the Disney must own it mentality. They might as well replace the Chinese Theaer façade with the El Capitan or god forbid a giant Sorcerers hat.

discos

When you put it that way, it makes total sense for the GMR overhaul. It may not seem like it now, but in 5 years once the park is in a better place of identity I think it will be a cohesive theme.

Casper Gutman

When you put it that way, it makes total sense for the GMR overhaul. It may not seem like it now, but in 5 years once the park is in a better place of identity I think it will be a cohesive theme.

"Properties owned by our parent corporation" is not a coherent theme. Also, "a tribute to Disney-owned IPs" can be applied as an accurate description to all of the Orlando parks with the possible (generous) exception of AK.

Disney doesn't own Twilight Zone or Aerosmith, so are we rooting for the attractions featuring those properties to be ripped out for the sake of coherence?

GMR is not being replaced by Mickey to protect thematic coherence. It's being replaced to save money and because WDW doesn't care about the very obvious capacity issues from which the park is suffering. I am really excited by the potential of SWL, but taken as a whole the Studio makeover is pretty underwhelming and fails to correct the central problems of the park - its going to need another makeover almost immediately after the current one is completed.

jt04

[QUOTE="marni1971, post: 7731849, member: 67]

The Land should be open within a year.[/QUOTE]

Ahem. Cough. Ahem.

:happy:

jt04

Desperately seeking attention. Again.

Pretty sure I said it would be opening sooner than the previous rumor of summer season 2018. You confirmed it, thanks.

Pandora' s success really is bugging people apparently. I can't imagine what this and Star Wars Land will do. Not that those will be everything. Not even close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom