Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

shortstop

I've asked this before...why do people want this door coaster concept? Don't get me wrong, I like Monsters Inc., and would be happy to see attractions based on it. And I understand some people are fans of suspended coasters which this would presumably be. Are those the only reasons people want this, because based on how often it comes up, you would think it was another Western River Expedition. I just don't see what would be appealing about a ride that takes you through a warehouse of doors. Would you be sitting "in" a door?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's tastes; I'm genuinely curious. What do you think this ride would look like and what excites you about the concept?
It seems like a no-brainer, especially considering the company's insistence on IP-based rides. This one just seems like it would be a great fit for DHS.

UpAllNight

I picture a door coaster concept as having dreadful capacity, but being a really cool ride.

A 3 year announcement >build for this area is absolutely astonishing. It should have been open early/mid 2017.

Rteetz

I think people believe this coaster would be more exciting than the gentle, family coaster that was designed. Remember, it was supposed to go into Studio 3, which is not that large, although the building would have been modified, from what I have read.
I thought it was supposed to go in studio 1 where the toy story third track is now.

Rteetz

I thought that Studio 1 and 2 were used and Studio 3 was the old "Who Want to be a Millionaire" show theater. I may be completely wrong, let me know.
Soundstage 1 is where the third track is now. I'm fairly certain the monster coaster was to go there.

image.jpeg

Mike S

Awesome post as always Mike, I didn't realize that a whole new building would be built behind it. In hindsight, that makes a lot more sense. I still think the excitement level might be fairly mild.
Thanks :) I just love when concepts like that get posted so I save them when I can. It's like a peek into the vaults of Imagineering. I can only imagine the stuff our insiders have that can't be posted here.

PorterRedkey

Thanks :) I just love when concepts like that get posted so I save them when I can. It's like a peek into the vaults of Imagineering. I can only imagine the stuff our insiders have that can't be posted here.

It is so awesome we have these great fans/historians/insiders, that can provide us with this concept art. To be honest, I collect and save concept art too, but my SSD external drive got crushed and sadly I lost a lot of concept art.
Now I, have this image, so thanks again.

Kate F

I'm quoting myself because I think I've commented plenty on TSL and I really don't have much new to add, but I still feel the exact same way as I did when I first posted these. I'm honestly astounded that they STILL haven't started construction yet.
With bigger, complex projects like Avatar and SWL, I can understand Disney taking their time with them. A moderately themed family land with two relatively simple new attractions and a couple of meet-n-greets? Ehh...I really don't know how anyone can defend their slow pace on this one.

Heres why I am upset that they haven't started working on this land yet:

My first trip to WDW was in 2005, and we saw Everest being built as well as several commercials for the ride. Everyone in my family was excited and we were all in agreement that it was something we definitely needed to return for. After Everest, there hasn't been anything that we felt we just had to go back for, despite taking multiple trips over the years. The past few years, the main reason we've been coming back is because of the constant stream of new exciting additions at Universal. We've been much more impressed by them as of late and we don't currently have any plans to go back to Disney for a while. To be fair though, we are fans of thrills and I understand Disney isn't focused on adding many of those at the moment, but our main problem is that the parks are kind of stale now, which I know they are trying to fix.

Anyway, I'm not really excited about TSL at all, the coaster might be fun but that's all I got at the moment. The theme, the low quantity of rides and the lack of any new E-tickets (not all E-tickets need to be thrilling) really doesn't give me anything to be excited about to begin with, but the fact that they haven't even started with this pretty simple project kind of infuriates me. I get that the land is supposed to be for families, and I'm sure kids will love it, which is great, but it's just kind of depressing to see that it takes Disney so much time and so much money to build such simple things nowadays. I honestly wish they would just get it done and over with so they can focus on the more ambitious projects.

Herbie

Shocked at the price, but astounded they would go through with TSL in it's currently planned, truncated form... I'd love to hear it reiterated that this is on the same wavelength as Cars Land...

Slowjack

I think people believe this coaster would be more exciting than the gentle, family coaster that was designed. Remember, it was supposed to go into Studio 3, which is not that large, although the building would have been modified, from what I have read.
So it's just that it would presumably be an intense, RnRC-level experience and not a family coaster? I can understand that. I just think a ride based on what is essentially a warehouse conveyance system would lack thematic appeal--not that the Slinky Dog ride is oozing with it, mind you.

No Name

With two launches, I feel like there is a great opportunity to have some sort of scene before each launch. Ya know, with some animatronics. That might make the ride actually worth buying a ticket for.

If only they knew how to afford that with their $250 million...

That's not going ahead in this park.

Yeah I was sort of kidding. While I still have the fear in the back of my mind, it's certainly good to hear you say that, and I do believe it. At least, I want to believe it, and so I am choosing to do so.

Believe it.

As it stands the land will have two merch carts and a DVC kiosk. The coaster may have a rather small exit store or may not.

I just find that very surprising.

I've asked this before...why do people want this door coaster concept? Don't get me wrong, I like Monsters Inc., and would be happy to see attractions based on it. And I understand some people are fans of suspended coasters which this would presumably be. Are those the only reasons people want this, because based on how often it comes up, you would think it was another Western River Expedition. I just don't see what would be appealing about a ride that takes you through a warehouse of doors. Would you be sitting "in" a door?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's tastes; I'm genuinely curious. What do you think this ride would look like and what excites you about the concept?

Yeah I don't get it either. I don't know what's so exciting about that concept that makes people constantly wish for it.

Pam Hates Penguins

With two launches, I feel like there is a great opportunity to have some sort of scene before each launch. Ya know, with some animatronics. That might make the ride actually worth buying a ticket for.

If only they knew how to afford that with their $250 million...

Yeah I was sort of kidding. While I still have the fear in the back of my mind, it's certainly good to hear you say that, and I do believe it. At least, I want to believe it, and so I am choosing to do so.

I just find that very surprising.

Congratulations! @egg is the first poster of the 200th page of the thread, "Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios" Had to say it.....sorry...:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom