Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DHSCM

I
I have confirmation that the QS and Restrooms have been combined into the one structure.

TSL's budget was cut from $400 million to $250 million. The lift hill was cut so that all the stuff like the board game could be cut. The restrooms and QS was combined because one building is cheaper than 2. And in a little fit of passive aggressiveness, the imagineers cut the retail location (Al's Toy Barn).
it really bothers me that because avatar and Shanghai needed to be extra funded this gets short handed 150 million in cuts is gonna make this look rather cheap. Taking away things like the board game rough and the trenches in the coaster and the big shovel in the sand would have helped emerge you more into this land; now it will feel rather cheap and like they don't care because other things are on their mind. Just my two cents.

po1998

I

it really bothers me that because avatar and Shanghai needed to be extra funded this gets short handed 150 million in cuts is gonna make this look rather cheap. Taking away things like the board game rough and the trenches in the coaster and the big shovel in the sand would have helped emerge you more into this land; now it will feel rather cheap and like they don't care because other things are on their mind. Just my two cents.
I'm glad they cut the budget. When 3 of the parks at WDW are crying for attractions, I don't need 150 million more being spent on this land, when I know it won't result in more attractions, but instead wild spending by imagineering to make me feel more immersed.

No thank you.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm glad they cut the budget. When 3 of the parks at WDW are crying for attractions, I don't need 150 million more being spent on this land, when I know it won't result in more attractions, but instead wild spending by imagineering to make me feel more immersed.

No thank you.

If I had the choice I would rather have fewer high-quality attraction, then a lot of low quality ones.

No Name

There will be more announced for DHS.

Not a complete, phase 3 new land type more. But nonetheless a little more.

Of course! Can't forget about the GotG makeover.

I have confirmation that the QS and Restrooms have been combined into the one structure.

TSL's budget was cut from $400 million to $250 million. The lift hill was cut so that all the stuff like the board game could be cut. The restrooms and QS was combined because one building is cheaper than 2. And in a little fit of passive aggressiveness, the imagineers cut the retail location (Al's Toy Barn).

I'd be surprised to see retail gone from the land. How was that even allowed, cutting the retail location? The land is being built in part to sell stuff, but they aren't going to sell stuff? You could very well be right but I'm having a tough time believing that part.

And 400 million is ridiculous. Unless we were missing something huge, there was in no way $400 million worth of stuff in the old plan. There isn't even $250 million worth of stuff in the old plan. I don't feel bad for the imagineers. They need to learn how to handle a budget. Hogwarts cost $400 million. Cheap rollercoaster and ride, no matter how much other cool stuff the land has, does not.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'd be surprised to see retail gone from the land. How was that even allowed, cutting the retail location? The land is being built in part to sell stuff, but they aren't going to sell stuff? You could very well be right but I'm having a tough time believing that part..
Believe it.

As it stands the land will have two merch carts and a DVC kiosk. The coaster may have a rather small exit store or may not.

I'll also reiterate with what @Disneyhead'71 said earlier, the sole eaterie here is combined with the restroom building. Seating is outdoors only.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is the theme for the major ride in phase 3 set in stone yet or is there still a debate as to which ip will be represented?
Think of phase 3 as a plussing of existing areas of the park. Not nessecerily all new build.

Though I know of one IP that's been decided. Another that's at the top of the being tossed around pile. Though its years off yet, if it happens at all.

Mike S

The original budget for this ridiculous land was $400 mil?! How does a family roller coaster, a spinning ride, and a couple of shops cost $400 mil?!

With the proposed/rumored $350 mil for all of Epcot's Future World, that's not very encouraging. :-/
Remember when $100 million was able to give us Expedition Everest and its surrounding area? Yeah, those times are over...

Fix your budgets WDI.
268 million is the current figure. Don't ask.

Planned to open second half of 2018.
Second half of 2018 and $268 million, for this?!?!

Believe it.

As it stands the land will have two merch carts and a DVC kiosk. The coaster may have a rather small exit store or may not.

I'll also reiterate with what @Disneyhead'71 said earlier, the sole eaterie here is combined with the restroom building. Seating is outdoors only.
Of course :rolleyes:

ctrlaltdel

Think of phase 3 as a plussing of existing areas of the park. Not nessecerily all new build.

Though I know of one IP that's been decided. Another that's at the top of the being tossed around pile. Though its years off yet, if it happens at all.
So any new rides at all? I would love to see Indiana Jones (which was refuted early on in the process, but don't know if things have changed).

clemmo

Sounds good an overall plussing with some new entertainment/shows and a new ride or two would be great to tie the park together. Thanks for the great info

ToTBellHop

So we will get to enjoy outdoor retail at Andy's Mom's Yard Sale, then?

dstrawn9889

The original budget for this ridiculous land was $400 mil?! How does a family roller coaster, a spinning ride, and a couple of shops cost $400 mil?!

With the proposed/rumored $350 mil for all of Epcot's Future World, that's not very encouraging. :-/
including the removal of everything that was there before, the infrastucture, the access roads...Et al

Slowjack

I'm still really hoping for that Monsters Inc Door Coaster.
I've asked this before...why do people want this door coaster concept? Don't get me wrong, I like Monsters Inc., and would be happy to see attractions based on it. And I understand some people are fans of suspended coasters which this would presumably be. Are those the only reasons people want this, because based on how often it comes up, you would think it was another Western River Expedition. I just don't see what would be appealing about a ride that takes you through a warehouse of doors. Would you be sitting "in" a door?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's tastes; I'm genuinely curious. What do you think this ride would look like and what excites you about the concept?

PorterRedkey

I've asked this before...why do people want this door coaster concept? Don't get me wrong, I like Monsters Inc., and would be happy to see attractions based on it. And I understand some people are fans of suspended coasters which this would presumably be. Are those the only reasons people want this, because based on how often it comes up, you would think it was another Western River Expedition. I just don't see what would be appealing about a ride that takes you through a warehouse of doors. Would you be sitting "in" a door?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's tastes; I'm genuinely curious. What do you think this ride would look like and what excites you about the concept?

I think people believe this coaster would be more exciting than the gentle, family coaster that was designed. Remember, it was supposed to go into Studio 3, which is not that large, although the building would have been modified, from what I have read.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom