Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Fox&Hound

Ohhhh exciting about the store addition. While I agree an Al's Toy Barn was a missed opportunity, my biggest lament is that they did not build a play place for the little ones. If you do not have little little ones, you may not understand the God-send that is Dumbo's play area, the play spot at the exit for Mission Space (a little hidden gem), or the Boneyard at Animal Kingdom. DHS had that with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play place and that area is sorely lacking in DHS. I guess they have the Disney Jr play place but it is more structured and therefore not the same: a place for kids to explore and parents to sit and rest, knowing their kids can't run into the street or get lost.

J4546

Im kinda happy with the bbq food. There not many places to get good bbq at any disney parks so this is a pretty cool addition imo.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
Disney keeps missing the opportunity to have a full toy store selling all the toys and games you see in TSL and its rides: Checkers, Knex, Viewfinder, etc...

It'll mostly be for nostalgic adults...

Honestly, this would be better in Disney Springs. An Al's Toy Barn with a Pizza Planet across the walkway (what else are you going to do with the NBA Experience building) would be fun.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Honestly, this would be better in Disney Springs. An Al's Toy Barn with a Pizza Planet across the walkway (what else are you going to do with the NBA Experience building) would be fun.
Almost there!... 😉

1642696399977.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Expanding TSL is a no-brainer. It should have been a fifth gate. Every single ride mechanic you can think of can be themed to made-out-of-toys for toys. There's, what, at least 7 different rides worldwide based on the franchise already?

Each of the four TS movies got excellent scores from critics and audiences. The last two grossed over a billion each at the box office.

Bocabear

They had the space to do better from the start but did a half-baked job... If only they had given it the "Carsland Treatment" with multiple attractions, themed shops and eateries... Or maybe I don't find the whole aesthetic so interesting anymore since they have kind of played it out, but a few more attractions in the area sure would have made it feel more engaging and substantial...

JohnD

No, the covered area being constructed now is for shaded-seating where previously was just umbrellas and sun.

The DPB post implies a new giftshop will be placed at the end of TSMM, which will replace the office-looking bare store that was previously a CM break room (supposedly) added in 2019.

Some pics of the current makeshift store grabbed from Google:
View attachment 615112
View attachment 615113
Well, you do have a very long walk from the Mania exit back out into the TSL. It literally will be exit through the gift shop.

Brer Oswald

They had the space to do better from the start but did a half-baked job... If only they had given it the "Carsland Treatment" with multiple attractions, themed shops and eateries... Or maybe I don't find the whole aesthetic so interesting anymore since they have kind of played it out, but a few more attractions in the area sure would have made it feel more engaging and substantial...
They’ve always phoned it in for Toy Story. I don’t think the concept necessarily lends itself to bad theme park applications. “Shrinking down to the size of a toy” can be interesting. But most of the film takes place in Andy’s Room for a reason. “Andy’s Backyard”? Really? An open field with large character statues is the best that you can do?

Ideally, an indoor land would have been the way to go. Make me feel like I’m inside this giant house. The best application of the Toy Story IP in the parks is not any ride per-say, but the load area of Toy Story Mania. You feel like you’re tiny as a toy, inside the kid’s room.

Incomudro

They’ve always phoned it in for Toy Story. I don’t think the concept necessarily lends itself to bad theme park applications. “Shrinking down to the size of a toy” can be interesting. But most of the film takes place in Andy’s Room for a reason. “Andy’s Backyard”? Really? An open field with large character statues is the best that you can do?

Ideally, an indoor land would have been the way to go. Make me feel like I’m inside this giant house. The best application of the Toy Story IP in the parks is not any ride per-say, but the load area of Toy Story Mania. You feel like you’re tiny as a toy, inside the kid’s room.
Now, Sid's yard would have been fun!

TikibirdLand

And, now you know why Rowling wouldn't let Disney do Harry Potter. I mean really? A BBQ joint in Toy Story Land? And, you theme it to TSMM's queue? REALLY?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And, now you know why Rowling wouldn't let Disney do Harry Potter. I mean really? A BBQ joint in Toy Story Land? And, you theme it to TSMM's queue? REALLY?
As mentioned above, this side of TSL was supposed to be themed to Woody and Westerns. That's why BBQ fits. Also, the artist concept we have shows the restaurant themed to Westerns and not a Midway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom