Toy Story Land at Shanghai

GiveMeTheMusic

The train feels like an error... but the park is clearly not designed to accommodate one now. On the opposite end of things it’s hilarious the number of times the train has been closed in Hong Kong. I swear it’s closed or operating oddly due to expansion for more of its life than it has operated!

Oh and the biggest mistake SDL made was a two theatre Soarin’. What a moronic move.

It beggars belief that Soaring was built with two theaters at SDL.

I've been to HKDL a few times, and the train has been open once! It is a surreal experience, and odd to have so much to your left while riding.

I would hope that Disney is examining IP for new attractions at SDL that are big draws in China. Marvel, Frozen, Zootopia & Coco should be the focus if they are only going with IP rides from now on. A Tim Burton Alice E ticket seems like a misfire at this point.

the.dreamfinder

It beggars belief that Soaring was built with two theaters at SDL.

I've been to HKDL a few times, and the train has been open once! It is a surreal experience, and odd to have so much to your left while riding.

I would hope that Disney is examining IP for new attractions at SDL that are big draws in China. Marvel, Frozen, Zootopia & Coco should be the focus if they are only going with IP rides from now on. A Tim Burton Alice E ticket seems like a misfire at this point.
Given their interchangeable IP push. A new version of Philharmagic or Mickey Mouse Review with a seasonal component for Lunar New Year, Halloween and Christmas makes sense.

D231016

Hey guys, from what I heard, the next expansion for SDL is going to be a Zootopia-themed land, and it's main attraction will use the same slot system that Radiator Springs Racers utilized.

D231016

Where did you hear this?
A couple of SDL's CMs. They all told me that they heard about a zootopia-themed land will be added for the near future, but most of them don't have any idea about what type of attractions are going to be build. The slot system rumor came from a friend who I believe have some higher level source, and he also mentioned a possible Alice 3D dark ride.

RandySavage

As for the next expansion, my hope is they surprise us with something unique and original, created for and tailored to the park.

Back to reality. Zootopia seems as likely an IP candidate as any - it and Coco are the only two animated IPs Disney has on China's all-time top 50 Box Office list. There's only room for one more new land in the park - in the narrow trianlge pad north of Pirates and behind 7DMT. I suppose a RSR-style attraction could go there but it will be uniquely laid out, if so. And I can also see them co-developing with WDW and cloning some Zootopia for Animal Kingdom, unfortunately.

As noted above, they love Soarin', so maybe add Pandora as the final land... already developed and provides a 2nd, souped-up Soarin... also promotes Disney-Fox's upcoming Avatar 2-5 in China.

Other, single attraction additions will have to be part of existing lands (e.g., adding Toy Story Mania or cloning one of the forthcoming Marvel attractions in Tomorrowland (where the Star Wars Exhibit is)).

Any future Star Wars element is likely off the table after the b.o. catastrophe (in China) of Last Jedi.

Last edited:

BrianLo

As for the next expansion, my hope is they surprise us with something unique and original, created for and tailored to the park.

Back to reality. Zootopia seems as likely an IP candidate as any - it and Coco are the only two animated IPs Disney has on China's all-time top 50 Box Office list. There's only room for one more new land in the park - in the narrow trianlge pad north of Pirates and behind 7DMT. I suppose a RSR-style attraction could go there but it will be uniquely laid out, if so. And I can also see them co-developing with WDW and cloning some Zootopia for Animal Kingdom, unfortunately.

As noted above, they love Soarin', so maybe add Pandora as the final land... already developed and provides a 2nd, souped-up Soarin... also promotes Disney-Fox's upcoming Avatar 2-5 in China.

Other, single attraction additions will have to be part of existing lands (e.g., adding Toy Story Mania or cloning one of the forthcoming Marvel attractions in Tomorrowland (where the Star Wars Exhibit is)).

Any future Star Wars element is likely off the table after the b.o. catastrophe (in China) of Last Jedi.

The entire area behind Fantasyland is also an eventual expansion slot. Whether that means more Fantasyland or another land entirely. There is easily room for two Shanghai-sized lands left. I think the Fantasyland plot is utilized very distantly in the future though, as in not before the next park.

Other spots you missed are the eventual removal of the Marvel walk-in, also likely to get added into the Tomorrowland fold.

As mentioned though a land will occupy the space beside Pirates and will have a secondary entrance off to the other side of SDMT (we know the attraction was built to eventually be walked around).

This is a park that I forsee getting an additional big 5-ish year build-out with a one-off attraction or two before the second gate. My money is on that second gate by the decade mark or very shortly afterwards with how the first park is currently preforming. It's bananas.

Zootopia seems solid, Everest seems like a potential still if the IP mandate has not buried it. Coco I think is going to be too late. Based on the flurry of activity at all their other parks I think Shanghai's plans are softly decided upon already. Marvel is the other one I agree, I expect an Avengers drop tower where the Launch Bay is. Star Wars is a non-starter.

The 3rd hotel right behind Roaring Rapids. I don't know how occupancy is doing though.

PS: You need an ideal build out for Shanghai!

jaxonp

Just spent the last two days at SDLR.

The good:

Beautiful Castle and ground around the castle.
New Tomorrowland concept is nice to see.
Pirates is pretty darn good.
Tron is awesome.
Both hotels are incredible for service and style. I’ve not had better service at DLR/WDW hotels and I’ve stayed at them all.
Disney Town is positioned well.

The bad:
The park has so many vast open areas and half assed themes with terrible line of sight.
Tron show building is visible.
Fantasyland is vast and unremarkable.
Food isn’t memorable.
People are rude and smoke everywhere.
The park is crazy busy. MK busy. Shanghai needs more attractions now. Nobody was running to toy story land either.

Sped2424

The entire area behind Fantasyland is also an eventual expansion slot. Whether that means more Fantasyland or another land entirely. There is easily room for two Shanghai-sized lands left. I think the Fantasyland plot is utilized very distantly in the future though, as in not before the next park.

Other spots you missed are the eventual removal of the Marvel walk-in, also likely to get added into the Tomorrowland fold.

As mentioned though a land will occupy the space beside Pirates and will have a secondary entrance off to the other side of SDMT (we know the attraction was built to eventually be walked around).

This is a park that I forsee getting an additional big 5-ish year build-out with a one-off attraction or two before the second gate. My money is on that second gate by the decade mark or very shortly afterwards with how the first park is currently preforming. It's bananas.

Zootopia seems solid, Everest seems like a potential still if the IP mandate has not buried it. Coco I think is going to be too late. Based on the flurry of activity at all their other parks I think Shanghai's plans are softly decided upon already. Marvel is the other one I agree, I expect an Avengers drop tower where the Launch Bay is. Star Wars is a non-starter.

The 3rd hotel right behind Roaring Rapids. I don't know how occupancy is doing though.

PS: You need an ideal build out for Shanghai!
I'm curious how is zootopia not too late yet Coco a film which just came out is?

BrianLo

I'm curious how is zootopia not too late yet Coco a film which just came out is?

Too late in the planning process - as in I think medium term plans are already partially hashed out. Zootopia has been a success in China for over 2 years now, Coco less that 6 months. I don’t think SDL plans are starting from near scratch but instead multiple proposals have already been in the works and a decision will be made on which ones.

A new build major attraction from scratch takes Disney at least five years from idea to opening these days. I don’t think we’ll be waiting even a year before the next phase starts.

D231016

Shanghai International Theme Park company has posted a tender invitation for a project code name 'sting'(Any idea what it means?)
The invitation also stated that the project costs 570-million Yuan (about 89 million dollar), and construction period would be around 975 days.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I was watching a tour of Toy Story land in Shanghai and I wonder what the Chinese think of the toys presented there. Do they have any clue what a barrel of monkeys are? Do they know what Lincoln logs are? They might know the Toy Story characters but what about all the other toys shown. What do they think of Tinkertoys or giant Christmas lights? That whole land has to look pretty strange considering they have no frame of reference or nostalgia for anything there.

GiveMeTheMusic

I was watching a tour of Toy Story land in Shanghai and I wonder what the Chinese think of the toys presented there. Do they have any clue what a barrel of monkeys are? Do they know what Lincoln logs are? They might know the Toy Story characters but what about all the other toys shown. What do they think of Tinkertoys or giant Christmas lights? That whole land has to look pretty strange considering they have no frame of reference or nostalgia for anything there.

Toy Story isn't a popular IP in China, so why Disney built a hotel and land based on it at SDL is a giant mystery. Coco is the first Pixar film to have any real traction in China, so this is more about Disney trying to get the Chinese into Toy Story than exploiting an affinity that already exists.

I don't know if the Chinese had those specific toys the way Americans did (logs, tinker toys, etc.), but even if they didn't, they'd just see it as accoutrements of the IP.

Phroobar

Toy Story isn't a popular IP in China, so why Disney built a hotel and land based on it at SDL is a giant mystery. Coco is the first Pixar film to have any real traction in China, so this is more about Disney trying to get the Chinese into Toy Story than exploiting an affinity that already exists.

I don't know if the Chinese had those specific toys the way Americans did (logs, tinker toys, etc.), but even if they didn't, they'd just see it as accoutrements of the IP.
I guess that would be similar to us see droids, weird machines and aliens at Star Wars land. It's all part of the scenery even if we don't know what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom