Toy Story Hotel Planned to replace Paradise Pier Hotel?

Sharon&Susan

It's funny how Disney bought the hotel to retheme it so it wouldn't look too out of place in Paradise Pier, but the new color scheme and removal of the waves makes it look a lot like how it used to pre-Disney ownership.
1651179599607.png

PiratesMansion

Objectively, it is stupid to retheme the hotel to all of Pixar.

THAT SAID, if they MUST have an IP hotel (and clearly from their perspective they must), better a hotel that has never really gained any traction than DLH or GC, two hotels that have at least some semblance of character and some restaurants/areas/history that justify their existence.

Clearly the current situation, where the hotel has no open restaurants, is proof that whatever they're doing now isn't working. I'm not sure there is a theme or approach that will convince people to care about the hotel as is (and clearly they're unable to modify the facility in any real way), so I can't entirely blame them for just going for "the character hotel." I don't love it, but in fairness to them I can't really think of anything else they could do that would get people to care about this facility that they're clearly stuck with.

The insistence on making the Toy Story ball a Pixar icon is weird and forced. If there's any icon that stands for all of Pixar, it's Luxo the Lamp and that's literally it. Stop trying to make fetch happen!

Phroobar

Did they ever fix the elevators so it doesn't take a half hour to get on it when your leaving for the day at the park? It's floor service algorithm couldn't keep up with demand.

Animaniac93-98

The best thing is the return of a separate DCA entrance.

Walking up to the Disneyland hotel, through its parking lot and then the entire length of DTD to get to the Esplanade was a pain and in no way felt like staying "on site". Tried walking through GCH and was stopped at the gate before I could reach the lobby. Didn't matter that I was staying at a Disney hotel. Was told to go into DTD first to get into GCH.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I'm not really knowledgable about Disney's hotels, or hotels in general. How hard would it be to completely overhaul a structure like this? My understanding is that Disney is stuck with it, and can't simply knock it down and start from scratch.

Even if we imagine a world in which Disney is willing to spend money and exert a modicum of imagination, would it ever be feasible to renovate Paradise Pier's rooms, facilities, and outward appearance to approach the level of quality of the Contemporary, Polynesian, etc.? I'm trying to determine the size of the gap between what is possible and what they're delivering here.

D.Silentu

I've never had reason to set foot inside that hotel, but if this renovation were to bring a Mid-Century styled, Incredibles themed bar and lounge I might just make the trip.

TP2000

It's like going to someone's home that just has photos and paintings of themselves as art. Very weird. Also, the knock-off Mondrian on the porte-cochère is there because? Mondrian and the Pixar ball both use primary colors, but that's kinda flimsy.

Without the balls, this could be literally anywhere, without any theme whatsoever. That's not advocating for the Pixar balls, it's a broad criticism of the architecture, it isn't telling any story, it's just decorated "pixar" like one would for a party to be removed after the last guest goes home.

View attachment 635927

Spot on! The Mondrian feature is just... odd. And without the Pixar balls, yup, it's Any Hotel in Any Place.

They should get the CM's working at this generic hotel to wear these dresses, if they still had CM's who could actually fit into dresses like these. Plus, add a few strip mall tattoos.

c9ee94313913097609246db936f9f16b.jpg

LittleMerman

If they did the Pixar variety pack so badly the first time, I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt that this one will somehow be better.
I don't think it's currently Pixar-themed now though. I stayed there in 2019 and it didn't seem to be at all. But the whole point of the re-theme is to upgrade the hotel, which it definitely needs. The concept art already looks much better than how it stands now. I'm not saying that it'll be the most amazing Disney hotel ever, but I'm sure that whatever they do will be an improvement and make people actually want to stay there.

PiratesMansion

I don't think it's currently Pixar-themed now though. I stayed there in 2019 and it didn't seem to be at all. But the whole point of the re-theme is to upgrade the hotel, which it definitely needs. The concept art already looks much better than how it stands now. I'm not saying that it'll be the most amazing Disney hotel ever, but I'm sure that whatever they do will be an improvement and make people actually want to stay there.
Right now it's "themed" to Paradise Pier, though frankly the property is a dog and it'd take a lot of work to make it an appealing place to stay for the prices-that I'm not sure they're willing/able to do- or really make it feel like it is well-themed to anything.

So I see the appeal in slapping characters everywhere in that it will make people more likely to be suckered into booking book the hotel. Whether or not it is an upgrade or "upgrade", though it will probably be the latter, is probably less important to Disney than saying whatever it feels like it needs to say to get people to stay there.

Last edited:

No Name

He’s referring to Pixar Pier not the current hotel.

jmuboy

If they are giving the hotel the Pixar Pier treatment, my mind immediately went here....

View attachment 636547

Maybe one of the rooms will be themed to a giant chicken box? A $500/night chicken box.
This food stand is one of the most hideous elements on the pier - post Pixar transformation!

But back to the hotel - if a modest “art of Pixar” approach is what we are getting here and it’s a nicely done budget version of the art of marvel hotel in Paris then this renovation will be an upgrade.

I agree with the selection of a Pixar “theme “ over a narrow “toy story only “ approach to updating this hotel.

Robbiem

I get trying to tie it to pixar pier but most guests won’t differentiate the studios output - it will all be Disney to them.

Make it art of animation west or something and use whatever IP you want with each floor a different movie

I’d also paint the outside with the cloud sky wallpaper from toy story as a kina go away blue sky

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom