Toy Story 4

Disney Analyst

I mean, I cried in theaters repeatedly at Toy Story 3 (didn't we all) and I still was reluctant for this one because it ended so perfectly. Wrapped everything while also giving a real "And The Adventure Continued" vibe. I just didn't expect them to, you know, continue it.

I’m with you. Saw it several times in theatres. Cried. I was so skeptical for 4 but these reviews have me so intrigued.

BrianLo

Don't know why people are set against sequels simply because it's a sequel. Every TV series is just a series of sequels week after week, not just the pilot.

And many tv shows far overstay their welcome.

I think the fear comes down to having a clear story arc finished and reopening the box. Is it corporate mandated, was there a true creative reason? Always so hard to say, but supposedly this one was creative... or at least well done!

I think the world building with Pixar is always so great and well received that it’s hard for them not to reopen it.

Anyways the next five movies are supposedly originals so it kind of doesn’t matter again.

erasure fan1

Don't know why people are set against sequels simply because it's a sequel. Every TV series is just a series of sequels week after week, not just the pilot.
For me it all depends on the motivation for the sequel. I could watch a thousand movies of my favorite franchises if there is a compelling story to tell. If the reason for the sequel is just to capitalize on the originals success, then you can keep it.

HoldenC

I saw the preview at DHS Wednesday evening, simply to get out of the rain, and I am intrigued. Considering Toy Story is my least favorite Pixar franchise, that says a lot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll pass on this.

I'm waiting for the live action Toy Story remakes.

That might be your funniest post.

Anyway, I read the non-spoiler cnn review yesterday and it might be the best review I have ever read. It gave nothing away...but what I liked about it is that the reviewer went over the backstory on the production - highlighting the loss of lasseter - and did a wonderful job of describing the emotional pull of the new movie in an adult, understated way. I think this might be the best one yet...and that’s hard to eclipse in my book.

I liked 3 but did NOT find it to be the emotional tugger I see credited to it all the time. Missed a little for me. Still a very good movie though.

But I like what I’m seeing in the reviews...unlike the farce awakens, which was all superlatives but didn’t really do a fair assessment in retrospect.

I’m very encouraged. But of course it’s not that long till first showing so we will know soon 😉

jt04

Over 70 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes right now. 100% positive.

Now it's 90-0 🍅

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because if you repeat the same over and over again...it will get stale even if people like it. At one point it inevitably goes “poof”. Not only that - but more swings lead to some misses that can erode the views of what you loved in the first place.

Live action remakes and unnecessary franchise reboots aren’t as “safe” as they make them out to be...unless you’re a billionaire CEO about to retire.
I mean, I cried in theaters repeatedly at Toy Story 3 (didn't we all) and I still was reluctant for this one because it ended so perfectly. Wrapped everything while also giving a real "And The Adventure Continued" vibe. I just didn't expect them to, you know, continue it.

Well...I thought it was a sequel setup...they couldn’t resist at the end.

And I thought woody should have talked to andy...but that was a tough call either way. Just me

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just assume Pixar has to deal with corporate mandated sequels and that funds whatever they want.....despite the fact they’ve proven themselves profitable.

Kinda like when corporate says “about a billion people like this IP...but it’s demographically skewed so flip it sideways and we’ll have 2 billion buying toys...”

??

BrianLo

Semi-correct. The next five productions are apparently originals.... but I assume that will be followed with a sequel.

The process is *supposed* to be 2 originals to 1 sequel, but they've acknowledge it got very unbalanced with schedule re-shuffles.

I assume we'll eventually see an Incredibles 3, but I don't really imagine they have that many more that would be corporate mandated. I guess maybe a Toy Story 5? But that's probably another decade away.

I think fortunately Cars is over.

WDAS on the other hand I expect some more sequels from. Zootopia 2 and a Frozen 3 seem like certainties.

BrianLo

Wasn’t there a similar announcement a few years ago about Finding Dory?

That’s when they first stated their goal was 2 originals to 1 sequel.

They’ve since commented that unintentionally the sequels all worked their way up the slate and they are currently sitting with five originals in the pipeline as a result and no sequels.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That’s when they first stated their goal was 2 originals to 1 sequel.

They’ve since commented that unintentionally the sequels all worked their way up the slate and they are currently sitting with five originals in the pipeline as a result and no sequels.

It would make sense the sequels get done faster with already-established graphics assets, voice actors, and character development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom