Rumor Tower of Terror to gain new theme?

CoasterSnoop

Neither RnR or Tower need to be rethemed, reimagined or “made more relevant for today’s audiences”. Leave them alone.

If I could get on a mountaintop and scream this out for the whole world to hear, I would.

"Update this thing to make it relevant for the modern crowd" are the famous last words of every businessman out there. It has never, ever, ever worked. If the original has lasted this long with the amount of hype surrounding it has stayed fairly high, it's probably doing something right. So leave it be. DHS has its own share of problems and ToT and RnR are not one of them. Aerosmith is definitely stretching it as far as belonging in a Disney park goes (and, honestly, does reek of some of Eisner's most out-there ideas...), but it fits in Sunset Boulevard. Much better than Laugh Floor's twice-separated cousin or Mission: Breakout's siamese twin would.

WDWTank

If I could get on a mountaintop and scream this out for the whole world to hear, I would.

"Update this thing to make it relevant for the modern crowd" are the famous last words of every businessman out there. It has never, ever, ever worked. If the original has lasted this long with the amount of hype surrounding it has stayed fairly high, it's probably doing something right. So leave it be. DHS has its own share of problems and ToT and RnR are not one of them. Aerosmith is definitely stretching it as far as belonging in a Disney park goes (and, honestly, does reek of some of Eisner's most out-there ideas...), but it fits in Sunset Boulevard. Much better than Laugh Floor's twice-separated cousin or Mission: Breakout's siamese twin would.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix. ;)

Phil12

You mean you can't see yourself riding a coaster/popping up and down to this song?

Trigger warning: scenes of people smoking, playing cards and whistling...

That would be perfect. You've got Milton Berle, Dorthy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers so it's probably too much for just the coaster. This is a theme that should be shared between the coaster and the ToT except that in ToT the theme could be expanded to include
The Planet of the Apes

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
That would be perfect. You've got Milton Berle, Dorthy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers so it's probably too much for just the coaster. This is a theme that should be shared between the coaster and the ToT except that in ToT the theme could be expanded to include
The Planet of the Apes
Planet of the IPs, perhaps... ;)

No Name

aerosmith? in a disney park?? dedicated to movie magic???
in what reality does that make any sense when there has always been an abundance of better, more synergistic, in-house ip to be utilized for such purpose?

the flight of fears, which opened three years prior, were the same dang thing wrapped in a concept that actually made sense...
which always led me to view rnrc as a few years too late baby boomers ill-conceived bid for relevance mired in a cheap, eisner'y, superstar limo'y swath of borrowed and strained creativity

however, to each their own, of course

The park isn't, won't be, and hasn't ever been dedicated to "movie magic." The "highly questionable premise" of RnRC fits leagues better than visiting Andy's backyard toy amusement park and most other attractions in DHS. IP that originated as a movie in no way makes a ride fit the theme better, especially if the storyline has nothing to do with the theme.

Last edited:

smile

Except the theme isn't movies...The theme is "Hollywood" which has a mess of movie baked into the theme. The idea of a recoding studio being in Hollywood is actually normal, even if its a bit at odds with the rest of the park having "movie" as attractions. The Muppets also don't really fit the "movie" theme, outside them actually being in movies. They are much more TV based, just like Superstar Television, Lets Make a Deal, WCW Wrestling and a mess of other "General Entertainment" shows and attractions.

The park isn't, won't be, and hasn't ever been dedicated to "movie magic." The "highly questionable premise" of RnRC fits leagues better than visiting Andy's backyard toy amusement park and most other attractions in DHS. IP that originated as a movie in no way makes a ride fit the theme better, especially if the storyline has nothing to do with the theme.

you both are acting like i said 'dedicated to movies' when i specifically said 'movie magic' to infer a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic.

rnrc fits none of that

Movielover

I think Sunset Boulevard is in some kind of kind of time warp. The citizens don’t really know what year it is. The bellhops of the Hollywood Tower Hotel don’t know what year it is. Rock n Rollar Coaster is definitely 1999 though.

I always rationalized that the time period of Sunset Blvd increases as you progress further down it. So you start in the early days of the Golden Age of Hollywood (20's/30's) as you leave Hollywood Blvd (fitting), then as you reach the halfway point it seems to be set around the 40's with the WW2 victory gardens at Rosie's. Then we do a big jump to 1991 with Beauty and the Beast, then hitting the late 90's with RnRC before catching up with "the present" at the end with Tower.

It's not 100% but it something...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom