Tower of Terror Safety Spiel voice actor(s)

Rodj

Original Poster
I haven't seen this anywhere, so I am wanting to know who voiced the safety spiels, both 1994 and 2003/2004 versions, in the Tower of Terror? The 1994 versions are heard in the Florida Tower, besides the loading spiel which is from the 2003/2004 recordings, while the DCA/WDSP Tower has all 2003/2004 recordings. IMHO, I prefer the 1994 versions better, the 2003/2004 one sounds too energetic for me.

Hollywood 1939

I asked Mark Silverman on YouTube a while back, he knew nothing except for the fact that it was a woman from Europe.

Have the spiels always been there? I haven't been able to find any pre-2002/3 videos with the spiels. Would be very curious if there was ever a lapbar version of the loading spiel.

Rodj

Original Poster
Have the spiels always been there? I haven't been able to find any pre-2002/3 videos with the spiels. Would be very curious if there was ever a lapbar version of the loading spiel.
I know that the library, unloading, and (maybe?) the breakdown spiel recordings at the Florida ToT are from 1994, they are different at the DCA/WDSP Tower.

justintheharris

One of my favorite questions to ask my friends is "Is it a man or a woman speaking?" I hear a woman. Some of my friends claim it's a man. It's honestly a tough call xD

TrojanUSC

I asked Mark Silverman on YouTube a while back, he knew nothing except for the fact that it was a woman from Europe.

No, the spiels were not always there. They were added in roughly 2002/03, during a Disney Parks worldwide safety initiative, following a pretty devastating incident at Splash Mountain (in addition to a few others), which led to two specific additions to just about every ride on property:
  1. All of the white safety placards you see on nearly every ride vehicle now (many joke they look like "hold hands/no disco dancing").
  2. Safety spiels being added at every attraction in English and Spanish.
Prior to the pre-recorded safety announcements, the bellhops gave a much longer "live" safety spiel, asking guests to remain seated, hold onto loose articles, etc. It was not long into the "seatbelts" version of the ride that the automated recordings made their debut.

Personally, I think the pre-recorded safety spiel was a huge downgrade to the theming there. The bellhops live safety spiel really could be quite memorable for guests, especially if you got a great bellhop. A little "show before the show." Once added, the pre-recorded announcement made it seem like any other ride.

Rodj

Original Poster
No, the spiels were not always there. They were added in roughly 2002/03, during a Disney Parks worldwide safety initiative, following a pretty devastating incident at Splash Mountain (in addition to a few others), which led to two specific additions to just about every ride on property
Like I stated in my earlier post, the spiels besides the loading one are from 1994, with video proof from 1995.
Here is what the exit spiel sounds like at the Florida Tower:

Here is a video from 1995 which you can hear the start of it play:

Compare that to what it sounds like at the DCA Tower, which definitely sounds different.

TrojanUSC

Like I stated in my earlier post, the spiels besides the loading one are from 1994, with video proof from 1995.
Here is what the exit spiel sounds like at the Florida Tower:

Here is a video from 1995 which you can hear the start of it play:

Compare that to what it sounds like at the DCA Tower, which definitely sounds different.

Sorry perhaps I was not clear. The exit spiel at unload was there since day one. The pre-load safety spiels you hear in English and Spanish prior to boarding were added much later.

Tom Morrow

No, the spiels were not always there. They were added in roughly 2002/03, during a Disney Parks worldwide safety initiative, following a pretty devastating incident at Splash Mountain (in addition to a few others), which led to two specific additions to just about every ride on property:
  1. All of the white safety placards you see on nearly every ride vehicle now (many joke they look like "hold hands/no disco dancing").
  2. Safety spiels being added at every attraction in English and Spanish.
Prior to the pre-recorded safety announcements, the bellhops gave a much longer "live" safety spiel, asking guests to remain seated, hold onto loose articles, etc. It was not long into the "seatbelts" version of the ride that the automated recordings made their debut.

Personally, I think the pre-recorded safety spiel was a huge downgrade to the theming there. The bellhops live safety spiel really could be quite memorable for guests, especially if you got a great bellhop. A little "show before the show." Once added, the pre-recorded announcement made it seem like any other ride.

I know this post is two years old, but occasionally a bellhop still does a live themed spiel. Theming at Tower of Terror unfortunately doesn't seem to be enforced much anymore, but years ago much of the operators would do their own performances with their own personalities on the level of the First Order CM's at Rise. Honestly, it was even more impressive because each CM that was into it did their own thing. Every Rise First Order CM does the same act... no offense to them though, they have to do that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom