Tower of Terror Old Effect or Magical Moment?

JayWaters

Original Poster
So I remember riding Tower of Terror in 1998 or 1999 and experiencing an effect that I have never seen documented online nor ever met anyone who experienced it (other than my family who was with me that day). It’s perplexed me for years once I realized this wasn’t a standard effect so I am curious if any of you have experienced the following effect, heard of it, or can deduce what happened.

So this is the effect:

When the ride is about to drop for the first time suddenly the sound turns off abruptly. We then hear someone from above us say “Sorry, folks technical issues” or something to that effect. Everyone groans. Then a flashlight is turned on above us and we hear someone walking across above the elevator and see the light from the flashlight move with the sound (Exact same effect from Extraterrestrial Encounter).

Then you hear the “Cast Member” say “Don’t worry folks, we’ll have you guys moving in no time...wait, what does this d-”

*DROP*

So what on earth was this? Awesome experience that no one else I have ever met has experienced. I saw that Tower of Terror was refurbished with a double drop in 1999. Is it possible this was a test for an alternative drop that ended up getting chucked? Or was there an actual malfunction and Cast member gave us a “magical moment.” I doubt the latter as the timing was perfect, looked just like the effect in extraterrestrial encounter, and I doubt they would let a cast member up there with just a flashlight.

Anyone ever experience this or hear of it?

Last edited:

Tick Tock

Interesting. Never heard of this before.

Might have been an actual technical issue, and the CM at the time just being extra creative with fixing it (?)

JayWaters

Original Poster
Interesting. Never heard of this before.

Might have been an actual technical issue, and the CM at the time just being extra creative with fixing it (?)

Only reason I don’t think it’s this is because the timing and wording was perfect. This “technical issue” only lasted about 10-15 seconds. Never had a ride breakdown fixed so quickly.

And it’s so brilliant to have the drop coincide with “Wait...what does this do?”

Rodj

Twice the Fright came out in May 1996(double drop combined with the half drop at the start), and then Fear Every Drop came out in March 1999(This profile is used in Tower4 as well). But like you, I had thought there was a different projection that shown down on the basement level, but it was just bad memory as a child.

JayWaters

Original Poster
Only reason I don’t think it’s this is because the timing and wording was perfect. This “technical issue” only lasted about 10-15 seconds. Never had a ride breakdown fixed so quickly.

And it’s so brilliant to have the drop coincide with “Wait...what does this do?”
Twice the Fright came out in May 1996(double drop combined with the half drop at the start), and then Fear Every Drop came out in March 1999(This profile is used in Tower4 as well). But like you, I had thought there was a different projection that shown down on the basement level, but it was just bad memory as a child.

I was about 18 at the time and family members remember it as well. And it’s been for the last 10-15 years that I have been arguing with folks that this was an effect. This totally happened.

I’m not going to let Disney Imagineering gaslight me!

LUVofDIS

This sounds like an awesome effect, I have never heard of it before, therefore it must not exist.

Now that I am over myself, they need to use this sporadically, it would scare the sh.. out of less knowing people, it would probably get my wife every time. I want it and I want it now!!!

correcaminos

I was older than you in 1999 when I rode it and I don't remember that ever. Nor any of the years I went prior to that. Sorry...

would've been cool to experience it that way though.

JayWaters

Original Poster
I feel like I’m in a Twilight Zone episode where I go on the ride and experience this awesome effect but then find out no one else has experienced it and there is no documentation to support my claims.

Slowly I go mad as more evidence is shown to me that this couldn’t be the case. “Darn it, I know what I saw,” I snarl.

I know people didn’t believe Tony Baxter about the Hat Box Ghost in the Haunted Mansion either and he proved them all wrong! I will do the same...no matter the cost.

Finally, I snap and break into Hollywood Studios (although at this point I am referring to the park as the Disney-MGM Studios) late at night while muttering that “I’m going going to get Michael Eisner to put back the effect so the whole world knows the truth.”

As I approach the ride suddenly it gets very quiet. And then I see a single flashlight in the distance. I know immediately it’s him. I run full speed toward the flashlight to finally see the Cast Member who has now for now decades been tormenting me with this memory.

The Cast Member holding this phantom flashlight is dressed in a purple bellhop uniform from the Tower of Terror.

“It’s you!” I yell.

“Huh? What are you doing here. Park’s been closed for hours - -“

He has the same exact voice that I remember.

“Tell them what I saw. TELL THEM ITS TRUE!” I yell at him!

“I have no idea what your talking about. Sir, I am going to call the police if you don’t -“

“TELL THEM ITS TRUE!” I yell at him as I begin to shove him.

When suddenly all of the lights at the Disney-MGM Studios turn on. And I mean they’re all lit. It looks like a Christmas Tree. It’s a thing of beauty.

The Cast Member is gone. But that’s fine. I am not interested him anymore.

Tower of Terror is before me...

...and it calls for me.

I approach the ride and it’s eerie as the dilapidated Hollywood Hotel is completely empty. That is until I reach the boiler room. There I meet up again with the Cast Member that has been vexing me all of these years.

I don’t say anything as he secures me in the ride. And then away I go.

The ride progresses as it normally does until the big drop. Suddenly Rod Serling’s narration abruptly stops. I hear a voice say “Sorry, technical issues.” A flashlight turns on above me and I hear movement above me as the light moves in darkness with a glow that is hypnotic.

I hear a voice say “Don’t worry, we’ll get moving in a moment.”

And then, “Wait...what’s does this d-“

And as I begin to plunge into a darkness on a ride that I will never FastPass again, I have a huge smile on my face.

Just another broken soul that has found peace at the most magical place...

...in the Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

spacemtnfanatic

If an actual human Cast Member was out in the ride envelope for any technical difficulty, there is no way the ride would have resumed motion due to LOTO procedures. It would have been e-stopped and work lights would have been on.

If there was a blocking delay while waiting for the previous elevator to advance, there may have been someone on the PA system.

KBLovedDisney

Sounds like you possibly just "mis-remembered" Tower of Terror with Alien Encounter. I did this with Horizons and a restaurant. Not sure how but the memory can be a funny thing when you are a kid.

JayWaters

Original Poster
Sounds like you possibly just "mis-remembered" Tower of Terror with Alien Encounter. I did this with Horizons and a restaurant. Not sure how but the memory can be a funny thing when you are a kid.

As I mentioned in my orignal post, it was the same effect.

I suppose my memory could play a trick on me with the flashlight, but I do remember it being much closer to us than the one in Alien Encounter (which was far up in the rafters).

But no way am I remembering another ride where someone says "What does this do?" followed with an immediate drop. The voice 100% happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom