Tourist brought AR-15 rifle, handgun to Disney World over worries about Orlando protests - Orlando Sentinel

Piebald

Europeans in this thread like

200w (1).gif

Heppenheimer

Advertisement
This is part of what I found so interesting about the "settlement" agreement. Apart from the floated idea that Disney security may have deemed it safer to lock them up, why did Disney do this? *AND* why did it make the papers if it was a common thing Disney does? Also, why did the AR go to AKL? It is just a curious situation, but I am glad it resolved the way it turns out to have resolved.
This is a complete guess, but because Animal Kingdom Lodge has live, non-domesticsted animals on property, they might keep firearms there as a precaution (and/or for veterinary purposes). So maybe they took the guy's weapons here because AKL presumably has a pre-existing secure place to store firearms.

larryz

Completely Saponificated
Premium Member
This is a complete guess, but because Animal Kingdom Lodge has live, non-domesticsted animals on property, they might keep firearms there as a precaution (and/or for veterinary purposes). So maybe they took the guy's weapons rifle here because AKL presumably has a pre-existing secure place to store long guns firearms.
Any safe can store a pistol. It takes a much taller safe to lock up a rifle.

larryz

Completely Saponificated
Premium Member
Disney resorts are considered private property and as such they get to make the rules. If they say no guns on property then there will be no guns on property. If they find the gun they have the right to make you leave. This guy was lucky that Disney responded they way that they did. If you want to be in possession of your gun then don't be on Disney property. In Florida, private property owners, including hotels and motels, can also prohibit the carrying of a firearm on their property.

https://www.uslawshield.com/traveling-with-firearms-florida/#:~:text=Florida does not allow open,The reciprocity laws often change.

~NM
You might find this Florida law interesting reading.

Piebald

Also I know someone who brought a gun to Disney springs recently and was arrested. I'm not sure what happened because the records need to be requested but I'm assuming it was visible or fell out because it's not like they check. He had his CWL expired too 🤦🏻‍♂️

One tactic to gain attention to the issue involves shutting down major highways. How many people driving to WDW use I-75 and I-4?
Exactly. So I'm assuming he was thinking about the drive down. We had visitors this summer and they were legit worried about driving through downtown atlanta. They had rioters take over the interstate near their home in Asheville. :oops::oops:

DisneyCane

Agreed, Disney is private property and they make the rules, however, I don’t know that their right extends to a private vehicle. In Georgia, my vehicle is considered an extension of my home which simplifies things greatly when it comes to weapons. I’m not sure if the same is true in Florida, but even law enforcement can’t just search a vehicle without permission or probable cause whether it‘s located on private or public property.

Either way, this goes back to being a responsible gun owner.

Disney can not prevent somebody from keeping a firearm inside their vehicle. Also, in Florida, you are allowed to carry a firearm (loaded) in your vehicle without a concealed carry permit as long as it isn't easily accessible (on your person) and it is in some kind of a closed container (a bag zipped closed qualifies).

Here is a description from a lawyer's page:

In 2008, Florida introduced laws that protect the right of gun owners to keep firearms inside their private vehicles while parked in a company’s parking lot. Whether the gun owner is a customer, employees, or invitee, a public or private employer may not prohibit them from storing their firearm inside their parked vehicle. Additionally, employers may not:

• make inquires about the presence of a firearm inside a vehicle
  • take action against an employee, customer, or invitee based on the presence of a firearm inside their vehicle
  • condition employment based on the presence of a firearm inside their vehicle

Lilofan

Disney can not prevent somebody from keeping a firearm inside their vehicle. Also, in Florida, you are allowed to carry a firearm (loaded) in your vehicle without a concealed carry permit as long as it isn't easily accessible (on your person) and it is in some kind of a closed container (a bag zipped closed qualifies).

In 2008, Florida introduced laws that protect the right of gun owners to keep firearms inside their private vehicles while parked in a company’s parking lot. Whether the gun owner is a customer, employees, or invitee, a public or private employer may not prohibit them from storing their firearm inside their parked vehicle. Additionally, employers may not:

• take action against an employee, customer, or invitee based on the presence of a firearm inside their vehicle
It's window dressing of private property posted policy of no firearms on property. WDW won't push the needle if guests store their loaded firearms in their vehicle.

JoeCamel

While that may be true it is in reference to an employer - employee relationship and being dismissed for bringing a firearm onto the employer's property. I think this is a different situation

pocketlint

Also I know someone who brought a gun to Disney springs recently and was arrested. I'm not sure what happened because the records need to be requested but I'm assuming it was visible or fell out because it's not like they check. He had his CWL expired too 🤦🏻‍♂️
was in bag check at HS when a person in front of me had bullets in his back pack. no gun tho

DisneyCane

Also, just to quote some of the law that @larryz linked to:

(e) “Invitee” means any business invitee, including a customer or visitor, who is lawfully on the premises of a public or private employer.

(a) No public or private employer may prohibit any customer, employee, or invitee from possessing any legally owned firearm when such firearm is lawfully possessed and locked inside or locked to a private motor vehicle in a parking lot and when the customer, employee, or invitee is lawfully in such area.

There is no question. Disney can not prevent somebody from having a firearm inside of their vehicle on the property of Walt Disney World.

pocketlint

My wife and I carry everywhere we can. When we drive to Disney, they stay in the car. I know the resort policy, so I play by the rules when we choose to go there. Simple. As far as the AR, I own a few, and while superior to a sidearm, really aren’t practical to tote around everywhere. Weird choice.
i stopped yelling at people from my perch on high from not picking up their dog poop on our lawn..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom