Tourist brought AR-15 rifle, handgun to Disney World over worries about Orlando protests - Orlando Sentinel

Lilofan

I’ve heard that security will store handguns for you, but last time I called and asked in 2019 I got the generic “no weapons are allowed on property” from customer service. If I understand correctly, and I’m no cop or lawyer, you can carry in your car with or without a CCW assuming certain conditions are met and there’s nothing Disney can do about it.

Like stated above, when vacationing at Disney, mine stays unloaded and locked in a case which is then locked in my vehicle for the duration of my stay.
That's true. Some I know leave their firearms in their cars before going to enjoy the parks. WDW doesn't interfere.

DisneyOutsider

Advertisement
so that means it must remain in the vehicle? Why did they store these weapons then?

I’m sure this issue doesn’t come up much. I just wonder what the actual policy is supposed to be.
I'm guessing that under the circumstances they understood that everyone on property is much safer if this particular individual doesn't have immediate access to his arsenal... Like, imagine being so afraid of a threat of violence against your family that you need immediate access to that kind of firepower, but you decide to take your family anyway...

Now.. imagine that the place you decide was worth such a risk is Walt Disney World.

I don't think this is a stable individual nor a responsible gun owner.

icc2515

I just wonder what the actual policy is supposed to be.
Besides your bazooka you are not allowed to have a whistle on property either.

I know the link has park rules in it, but the title clearly states Walt Disney World Resort Property rules. Plus it does state that certain things are specifically not allowed in the parks.

TrainChasers

Besides your bazooka you are not allowed to have a whistle on property either.

I know the link has park rules in it, but the title clearly states Walt Disney World Resort Property rules. Plus it does state that certain things are specifically not allowed in the parks.

Oh so THATS why they fired the French chefs and Italian mime! (Whistles).

I understand that you can’t have weapons at the resort, I’m just trying to understand if the policy allows you to check them in at the hotel safe.

JoeCamel

Oh so THATS why they fired the French chefs and Italian mime! (Whistles).

I understand that you can’t have weapons at the resort, I’m just trying to understand if the policy allows you to check them in at the hotel safe.
I would think Hotels are instructed to never take responsibility for any firearm. When you put something in the hotel safe they are then responsible for it's care until returned. Most hotels will no longer take anything let alone a firearm.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I found the storage information interesting. Would have assumed the deluxe resorts would all have large safes available -- although not specifically for firearms - so it was interesting the rifle was held elsewhere. Does AKL have a firearm safe because of the animals? Thinking more tranquilizer guns than live munitions.

My other thought was maybe he was allowed access to his handguns for if he was leaving property?
That man is the ultimate ❄️.

mgf

Original Poster
I would think Hotels are instructed to never take responsibility for any firearm. When you put something in the hotel safe they are then responsible for it's care until returned. Most hotels will no longer take anything let alone a firearm.

This is part of what I found so interesting about the "settlement" agreement. Apart from the floated idea that Disney security may have deemed it safer to lock them up, why did Disney do this? *AND* why did it make the papers if it was a common thing Disney does? Also, why did the AR go to AKL? It is just a curious situation, but I am glad it resolved the way it turns out to have resolved.

Ninja Mom

So what’s the policy? Was he supposed to check them in at the hotels safe if he didn’t want to leave them in his car? Or he could only leave them in his car?

Also... the bellman can go through someone’s luggage if they think it’s too heavy?
I'm thinking that there is more to that story and it doesn't necessarily involve going through someone's luggage. Remember, after the Las Vegas shootings, Disney instituted the random room checks. Resort staff more than likely received some sort of training to report suspicious items. Common sense would also dictate if you see something, say something, which is what the bell person did. I also don't get the sense that the gun owner was being duplicitous. He was just not knowledgeable about Disney gun rules and more than a little paranoid.

This situation, of bringing a gun like an AR-15 into a hotel room, is exactly what happened in Las Vegas. Disney was correct in intervening in this situation. It's more than a little odd that someone would think that they needed that kind of firepower in a hotel room at WDW to "protect" their family.
I’ve heard that security will store handguns for you, but last time I called and asked in 2019 I got the generic “no weapons are allowed on property” from customer service. If I understand correctly, and I’m no cop or lawyer, you can carry in your car with or without a CCW assuming certain conditions are met and there’s nothing Disney can do about it.

Like stated above, when vacationing at Disney, mine stays unloaded and locked in a case which is then locked in my vehicle for the duration of my stay.
Disney resorts are considered private property and as such they get to make the rules. If they say no guns on property then there will be no guns on property. If they find the gun they have the right to make you leave. This guy was lucky that Disney responded they way that they did. If you want to be in possession of your gun then don't be on Disney property. In Florida, private property owners, including hotels and motels, can also prohibit the carrying of a firearm on their property.

https://www.uslawshield.com/traveli... allow open,The reciprocity laws often change.

~NM

TrainChasers

This guy was lucky that Disney responded they way that they did.
Yeah that’s why I’m so curious. Disney allowed them to stay on property, and the police made no arrests. The whole thing just seems really odd.

That’s why I was asking about the official policy. I remember a few years ago when Disney announced they would stop holding firearms for guests at the park entrance and I was like... that’s something that they’ve done up until now? Ha.

hosekiller

Disney resorts are considered private property and as such they get to make the rules. If they say no guns on property then there will be no guns on property. If they find the gun they have the right to make you leave. This guy was lucky that Disney responded they way that they did. If you want to be in possession of your gun then don't be on Disney property. In Florida, private property owners, including hotels and motels, can also prohibit the carrying of a firearm on their property.

https://www.uslawshield.com/traveling-with-firearms-florida/#:~:text=Florida does not allow open,The reciprocity laws often change.

~NM

Agreed, Disney is private property and they make the rules, however, I don’t know that their right extends to a private vehicle. In Georgia, my vehicle is considered an extension of my home which simplifies things greatly when it comes to weapons. I’m not sure if the same is true in Florida, but even law enforcement can’t just search a vehicle without permission or probable cause whether it‘s located on private or public property.

Either way, this goes back to being a responsible gun owner.

maxairmike

Not to be rude, but what are you talking about? I know that there have been peaceful protests in lots of cities around the US, and that some of those have given way to violent/destructive riots. But how would riots in a few areas of a few cities impact your ability to safely travel to Disney?

Seriously. Drove through NYC (including parts of Queens and Manhattan), around Baltimore, and through DC, on the day of the big rally in DC in August. Not a single issue. Take the beltways around major cities and you won't notice anything happening in the city itself if you're worried. I'd be more worried staying at some of the hotels along the smaller exits along the way or using gas stations more than a mile from an exit in the more rural areas.

Anyway, don't think there's been any serious protests in the area since the initial wave of stuff, and I doubt it will be a serious concern going forward for the moment. Just take 417 if you must have those thoughts and don't know the area well enough to detour on local roads on the fly, carrying for that reason alone strikes me as excessive.

Just a Spark!

I'm guessing that under the circumstances they understood that everyone on property is much safer if this particular individual doesn't have immediate access to his arsenal... Like, imagine being so afraid of a threat of violence against your family that you need immediate access to that kind of firepower, but you decide to take your family anyway...

Now.. imagine that the place you decide was worth such a risk is Walt Disney World.

I don't think this is a stable individual nor a responsible gun owner.
My initial reaction was “Why didn’t WDW kick this guy out??!!” I must agree; however, that WDW handled this well. This person had fear mixed with paranoia AND felt an AR 15 was a practical choice for self protection. By storing the guns safely away, recognizing his concerns, NOT shaming him and his family by throwing them out...I think the staff and sheriff de-escalated a situation that had the potential to become MUCH worse. (Not saying that it would have, but it COULD have).

larryz

Completely Saponificated
Premium Member
Not to be rude, but what are you talking about? I know that there have been peaceful protests in lots of cities around the US, and that some of those have given way to violent/destructive riots. But how would riots in a few areas of a few cities impact your ability to safely travel to Disney?
One tactic to gain attention to the issue involves shutting down major highways. How many people driving to WDW use I-75 and I-4?

One tactic to gain attention to the issue involves shutting down major highways. How many people driving to WDW use I-75 and I-4?

In the extremely unlikely event that your route is shut down by protests, maybe just take a detour? How would a gun even help? Have protestors been attacking cars on the freeway?

Part of being a responsible gun owner is accurately assessing risk. With all due respect, I think you're way over-hyping this risk.

larryz

Completely Saponificated
Premium Member
In the extremely unlikely event that your route is shut down by protests, maybe just take a detour? How would a gun even help? Have protestors been attacking cars on the freeway?

Part of being a responsible gun owner is accurately assessing risk. With all due respect, I think you're way over-hyping this risk.
The question was asked how riots in a few areas might affect going to WDW. Both I-75 and I-4 have been blocked by protestors. Detours don't help when you've already passed the last turn-off before the blockage.

Personally, I would avoid driving through major cities as much as possible -- my risk assessment would preclude that vulnerability. Either way, you're always more likely to run into a traffic snafu caused by an accident than by a social protest.

Here's food for thought: If you think you might need a semi-auto rifle and a couple of handguns to get to WDW safely, maybe you shouldn't be going to WDW...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom