Tourist brought AR-15 rifle, handgun to Disney World over worries about Orlando protests - Orlando Sentinel

mgf

Original Poster

I found the storage information interesting. Would have assumed the deluxe resorts would all have large safes available -- although not specifically for firearms - so it was interesting the rifle was held elsewhere. Does AKL have a firearm safe because of the animals? Thinking more tranquilizer guns than live munitions.

My other thought was maybe he was allowed access to his handguns for if he was leaving property?

Ricky Spanish

Advertisement
F93E8F46-2E8E-4185-AE10-F9E70569A72B.png

JIMINYCR

If these protest situations continue and/or escalate, I think I'm going to have to think about how to safely travel through certain areas on my way to Disney. The protection of oneself and their family needs to be taken seriously. Yes... there are peaceful protestors but weve seen some horrible scenes by those who take over the crowds and they have no problem with harming others.
So there was no attempt to enter the parks with a weapon and there was no threat towards any resort guests. He wanted to have a way of protecting his family on the drive through areas where potential violence could occur against him by protesters who have no problem stopping vehicles, threatening harm and in some cases causing injury to those driving through who dont agree with their cause. The guest certainly should have handled the placement of the weapons differently and notified Disney upon the arrival. Good for the Sheriffs to act wisely and Disney for not banning him. And kudos for the baggage CM for being alert to something that was out of the norm and was suspicious.

Lilofan

I found the storage information interesting. Would have assumed the deluxe resorts would all have large safes available -- although not specifically for firearms - so it was interesting the rifle was held elsewhere. Does AKL have a firearm safe because of the animals? Thinking more tranquilizer guns than live munitions.

My other thought was maybe he was allowed access to his handguns for if he was leaving property?
WDW did the right thing. Got the guns from the guest to store them in a safe place. A number of people I know who live in FL carry their firearms concealed wherever they go for self defense.

Heppenheimer

I'm sure that incident in Vegas a few years ago must have been on the minds of everyone involved.

Growing up a northern suburban kid, I had no idea how many people regularly travel with firearms until OBC in-processing at Ft. Sam Houston. When they got to the part about all personal firearms needed to be checked in and stored with the provost marshal, my initial thought was "Who would bring their own gun to army training?", but sure enough, plenty of annoyed groans when out from the audience.

If these protest situations continue and/or escalate, I think I'm going to have to think about how to safely travel through certain areas on my way to Disney. The protection of oneself and their family needs to be taken seriously. Yes... there are peaceful protestors but weve seen some horrible scenes by those who take over the crowds and they have no problem with harming others.
So there was no attempt to enter the parks with a weapon and there was no threat towards any resort guests. He wanted to have a way of protecting his family on the drive through areas where potential violence could occur against him by protesters who have no problem stopping vehicles, threatening harm and in some cases causing injury to those driving through who dont agree with their cause. The guest certainly should have handled the placement of the weapons differently and notified Disney upon the arrival. Good for the Sheriffs to act wisely and Disney for not banning him. And kudos for the baggage CM for being alert to something that was out of the norm and was suspicious.
Agree!! Thankful they used common sense about this. Some people may not realize you can't store them in your hotel room, just thinking you can't take them in the park!

Scuttle

This guy sounds really unhinged and paranoid. There haven't been any incidents that would necessitate a firearm for protection.
You should see my twitter feed. MSM doesn’t report what’s really happening. I’ve never been a gun guy but, now more than ever, I’ve thought about finally purchasing one.

Maybe he’s slightly paranoid, but I understand his view if he’s seen the same things I’ve seen.

Marc Davis Fan

In Paris the "security bubble" extends to the hotels.

I know it would be a whole lot more difficult to do at WDW (e.g., it would require a lot of changes to parking), but it's doable. It would be easier than, for instance, instituting MM+...

Not to be rude, but what are you talking about? I know that there have been peaceful protests in lots of cities around the US, and that some of those have given way to violent/destructive riots. But how would riots in a few areas of a few cities impact your ability to safely travel to Disney?

TrainChasers

So what’s the policy? Was he supposed to check them in at the hotels safe if he didn’t want to leave them in his car? Or he could only leave them in his car?

Also... the bellman can go through someone’s luggage if they think it’s too heavy?

JoeCamel

So what’s the policy? Was he supposed to check them in at the hotels safe if he didn’t want to leave them in his car? Or he could only leave them in his car?

Also... the bellman can go through someone’s luggage if they think it’s too heavy?

TrainChasers

hosekiller

so that means it must remain in the vehicle? Why did they store these weapons then?

I’m sure this issue doesn’t come up much. I just wonder what the actual policy is supposed to be.
I’ve heard that security will store handguns for you, but last time I called and asked in 2019 I got the generic “no weapons are allowed on property” from customer service. If I understand correctly, and I’m no cop or lawyer, you can carry in your car with or without a CCW assuming certain conditions are met and there’s nothing Disney can do about it.

Like stated above, when vacationing at Disney, mine stays unloaded and locked in a case which is then locked in my vehicle for the duration of my stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom