Toto, I have a feeling we aren’t in Hollywood Studios anymore..

PixarPerfect

The backlot tour featured a lot of old movie props, both on the motorized and ambulatory portions. The rapidly diminishing popularity of this attraction within the first few years of the park opening probably at least partially explains why nothing like this exists today, other than Star Wars Launch Bay.

I remembered that tour, but it wasn't as polished as what I have in mind. I'd enjoy seeing the Cinderella dress or even the Maleficent head piece alongside some of the old movie props. A true museum.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Why do people feel that an inability to mandate changes, means we shouldn't discuss things we dislike?

I'm not under any delusion that I can change Disney's mind on things. I'm still happy to discuss the pros and cons of things, that's just normal discussion.

No different than discussing what one liked and disliked when walking out of a movie. It doesn't mean I think they should re-shoot the film to my liking, I'm just, you know, discussing it.
Because some people are greatly offended by any criticism of their deity.

Magenta Panther

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I just don’t think Hollywood is worth celebrating as a theme. The physical area of Hollywood is actually very rundown, and peoples’ idea of Hollywood has soured over the years. While there are some stars who are very good people, I think Hollywood as a whole is basically a sect of morally-depraved egomaniacs and pompous idiots. I can’t think of many people in Hollywood I would want my kids looking to as a role model.

So if we’re going to be forced to have a Hollywood-themed theme park, it should just be similar to Universal... IP-based rides and lands that have us step into the movies we enjoy.

Sadly, this is true. The Old Hollywood wherein stars had class and grace is long gone. Today's Hollywood is full of political idiots and sluts. There are no "gods and goddesses of the Silver Screen" anymore. Now, having said that, I think the Great Movie Ride did in some ways educate the current generation about Old Hollywood and why it was so luminous, so special. An updated, plussed refurb could have gone much farther with that. But well, we know how much the suits at Disney care about such things. The parks, to them, are merchandising hubs with a few rides grudgingly included. I suppose we were fortunate to get a decent ride about Old Hollywood at all. I remember that when DHS was Disney-MGM, I was hopeful for a good Wizard of Oz dark ride/area. No such luck. Ah well.

stratman50th

MGM used to be my favorite park. It always will be. I was ok with the Hollywood Studios change, but it will always be MGM to me. What I liked about the park was the theme of 20's and 30's golden age of Hollywood. The architecture and overall theme. I liked the animation studio and classes. The water tower and GMR. Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster (even though not true Hollywood, or golden age theme). So last time I was there I said they ruined it. Toy story land, etc. After reading through these comments I have changed my opinion to a degree. Disney has loads of space. Expand out once you're past the Golden age core. Do whatever you like. Maybe there's room for the old nostalgia and the new areas.

OSX

Original Poster
MGM used to be my favorite park. It always will be. I was ok with the Hollywood Studios change, but it will always be MGM to me. What I liked about the park was the theme of 20's and 30's golden age of Hollywood. The architecture and overall theme.
It was attractions like GMR and the Backlot Tour that ultimately got me wanting to work in the movie industry. I still call the park MGM on the sole principle of wanting to be rooted in its past. People will criticize you for not wanting change but change is both good and bad. When you have people telling you to move, you plant yourself like a tree and say, “No, you move.”

Sadly, this is true. The Old Hollywood wherein stars had class and grace is long gone. Today's Hollywood is full of political idiots and sluts. There are no "gods and goddesses of the Silver Screen" anymore. Now, having said that, I think the Great Movie Ride did in some ways educate the current generation about Old Hollywood and why it was so luminous, so special. An updated, plussed refurb could have gone much farther with that. But well, we know how much the suits at Disney care about such things. The parks, to them, are merchandising hubs with a few rides grudgingly included. I suppose we were fortunate to get a decent ride about Old Hollywood at all. I remember that when DHS was Disney-MGM, I was hopeful for a good Wizard of Oz dark ride/area. No such luck. Ah well.

Ummm, the stars might have had "class and grace" in the movies but MANY of them were very involved in politics, idiots, or "sluts". Just read some biographies. everyone was sleeping with everyone, doing drugs, abusing others, people were blackballed or marked as communists. There just wasn't social media that was putting it all in our faces every second of the day. Sorry, but you are romanticizing a time that wasn't real.

As for MGM (as I will always call it), it's focused around movies. Not many anymore without TGMR and backlot tour, but it's still, at its core, about the movies.

OSX

Original Poster
On a completely different note, if you’re interested in the sounds of the park, I recommend adding this playlist to your Apple Music library.

Magenta Panther

Ummm, the stars might have had "class and grace" in the movies but MANY of them were very involved in politics, idiots, or "sluts". Just read some biographies. everyone was sleeping with everyone, doing drugs, abusing others, people were blackballed or marked as communists. There just wasn't social media that was putting it all in our faces every second of the day. Sorry, but you are romanticizing a time that wasn't real.

As for MGM (as I will always call it), it's focused around movies. Not many anymore without TGMR and backlot tour, but it's still, at its core, about the movies.

OH, I never meant to say that the stars of Old Hollywood were saints. The real difference between then and now was the Studio System - wherein the studios kept the stars in line, their mouths shut, and their...peccadillos under wraps, rather than inflicting them on the public. The stars of Old Hollywood - or rather, their public personas - were therefore much worthier role models, and their political opinions weren't allowed to divide the public and shame their profession. Sorry for the confusion.

tl77

I was at The Disney MGM Studios the summer it opened in 1989, and that "original vision" was interesting, the first time, but kinda boring too. All they had was the Indy Stunt Show, The Great Movie Ride, the Animation tour, which was the first time I ever heard that Disney was doing a animated film about a mermaid... just a few months before it was released in theaters, and next to Animation was the 2 hour tram and walking tour of their "studio". The trams drove around the New York Street set that first year, showing you the back sides of the Building facades, it drove through the areas were Honey I Shrunk the Kids Play-land and Muppet Vision were eventually built.

The place began mutating from it's "original vision" from the start in part because "riding rides based on movies" was a lot more fun than "learning how movies were made". Splash Mountain opened not long after MGM and it was a much bigger hit with guests, and I remember going to Star Tours the fist time thinking "they should have a lot more Star Wars stuff around here" only took 30 years... but the way movies were made changed drastically after CGI came a long in the Mid-90's, and most of the things and film making techniques they were explaining on the tour were becoming obsolete. Most movies today are made by filming actors on green screens then doing the rest in a computer, that's not as interesting as the original Backstage Tour, but that's the way it's done now.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Much like the park with the “golf ball”, which has and is continually being strayed furthur away from its original vision, the Hollywood that never was has now deformed itself as the Hollywood that currently is. With the new addition of ‘Toys That Come To Life and Have Stories’ Land paired like a grotesque zombie-like sandwich with ‘Burning Ball of Gas In The Sky That Has Battles’ Land, it’s no question that the vision of the largest hidden mickey park has been a-skewed. Unquestionably, it is only going to get more unrecognizable in the coming years. We now turn our heads away from the glitz and glamor of old hollywood and take our places in the seats of the aluminum bird, and also transcend new heights and swoop under bridges held together by an assortment of toys. How did we ever come to this?
While I try to understand these laments for what "once was", I must ask you something. Can you tell me about Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier? Do you know any of the episodes that dominated our Sunday nights in the late 50's-early 60's when many of us were first learning of Walt Disney? These series were definitely a part of the "original vision". Now, Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter would be totally out of place in ANY theme park today. Treasure Island would be another because it was frightening to children. Does anyone really stop to mourn the passing of Disney's Treasure Island series on The Wonderful World of Disney?

How many of us have considered the fact that it's not Disney that is changing so rapidly, but the PAST that is changing. I don't understand everything that is currently being imagined in Disney World, but neither did I understand those 'new' things as a child. I will also say this. While Universal is constantly being compared to Disney World, there are many of us (myself included) who have never even seen a Harry Potter movie because it simply does not interest us. For me, the comparison of Uni:WDW is indeed apples to oranges even when others do not think so. Do I miss THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE? You bet, I do, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying new attractions. I'm not looking for agreement OR disagreement. So many of these arguments just get boiled down to the digital age, IP's, CEO greed, consumers not protesting costs, etc. One of the reasons these boards are important is so that people can take a look at the parks' attractions, themes, etc. and make an informed decision as to whether Disney World is worth the time and money for them and their families.

JohnD

While I try to understand these laments for what "once was", I must ask you something. Can you tell me about Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier? Do you know any of the episodes that dominated our Sunday nights in the late 50's-early 60's when many of us were first learning of Walt Disney? These series were definitely a part of the "original vision". Now, Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter would be totally out of place in ANY theme park today. Treasure Island would be another because it was frightening to children. Does anyone really stop to mourn the passing of Disney's Treasure Island series on The Wonderful World of Disney?

How many of us have considered the fact that it's not Disney that is changing so rapidly, but the PAST that is changing. I don't understand everything that is currently being imagined in Disney World, but neither did I understand those 'new' things as a child. I will also say this. While Universal is constantly being compared to Disney World, there are many of us (myself included) who have never even seen a Harry Potter movie because it simply does not interest us. For me, the comparison of Uni:WDW is indeed apples to oranges even when others do not think so. Do I miss THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE? You bet, I do, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying new attractions. I'm not looking for agreement OR disagreement. So many of these arguments just get boiled down to the digital age, IP's, CEO greed, consumers not protesting costs, etc. One of the reasons these boards are important is so that people can take a look at the parks' attractions, themes, etc. and make an informed decision as to whether Disney World is worth the time and money for them and their families.

The thing about Hollywood Studios, you can't put the blame entirely on Disney, although it certainly shares in it. Hollywood is no longer about Hollywood stars with contracts tied to studios. It's now all about franchises which feeds into the complaints about IP this and IP that. In HS alone, the entire southern half is franchise heavy on Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Toy Story. That's the Hollywood of today. So, in that respect, "Hollywood" Studios still fits. (The "Studios" portion really refers to attractions still in studio buildings.)

OSX

Original Poster
Do I miss THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE? You bet, I do, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying new attractions.
You can enjoy new rides all you want. Please indulge yourself in the Han Solo ride without Han Solo, and then go for a spin on a glorified teacups themed to first generation Minions. There is absolutely no way that just because something is “old” or might seem “out of touch” doesn’t mean it’s not worth something. The day we lost GMR was as if we lost Spaceship Earth. To think that it’s going to be a Mickey frickin’ Mouse ride is mind boggling. Of all the lands in all the parks in all the Disney World, they replaced a fantastic attraction.

StarWarsGirl

Channeling Sam Eagle and Yoda in the same post. Love it.
If you're in need of any more random references, I also do The Big Bang Theory, the Princess Bride, and SGE.
The SGE one is for when there's a chili dog involved.
Just the dialogue, not the smell

Mickey5150

Neither defending or attacking park changes but it seems to me that every time Disney has changed an attraction to something the forums hate, the lines grow considerably. They obviously know a few things about what guests want.

tomast

The backlot tour featured a lot of old movie props, both on the motorized and ambulatory portions. The rapidly diminishing popularity of this attraction within the first few years of the park opening probably at least partially explains why nothing like this exists today, other than Star Wars Launch Bay.

And here we have the props of Disney's mega-blockbusters of the last year Including Toy Story 4, The Lion King, Aladin, Dumbo, Avengers endgame and Star Wars 9. Including the Endgame’s Quantum Suits

green-screen-set.jpg

tomast

Neither defending or attacking park changes but it seems to me that every time Disney has changed an attraction to something the forums hate, the lines grow considerably. They obviously know a few things about what guests want.
But lately the "big" changes in the park are mostly layovers, restaurants, souvenir shops, dance parties and really expensive rides that feel kind of cheap, and really awsome stone work

While FoP and maybe RoR be the exception of this rule..

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was at The Disney MGM Studios the summer it opened in 1989, and that "original vision" was interesting, the first time, but kinda boring too. All they had was the Indy Stunt Show, The Great Movie Ride, the Animation tour..
Was Monster and Superstar not open?

The following summer it was a fantastic full day park. With hours to match.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom