TOP SECRET Restaurant in Disney....?

DizneyPryncess

It is legit, but like Nemo said - it's in Disneyland. I am going this fall for my first time & am very excited! I am still learning all about it too.

It started as a private club for the original 33 companies who sponsored Disneyland. Walt wanted somewhere that was exclusive to those people - to show his appreciation. It stuck, and is still in place today, inside Disneyland. You can become a member, but there's a 14 year waiting list (supposedly) and it's very expensive. Members are allowed to bring guests in however. My uncle is an employee of one of the companies & has invited us this fall. I will do a full trip report w/pics & all that when the time comes. :)

If anyone else has been there, send me a PM & let me know what the experience is like!

raven

100_6075.jpg

wolf359

And I think the answers to those questions are in the very same Wiki link you provided.

WDW has corporate lounges scattered all over Walt Disney World, usually in or near the attraction(s) those companies sponsor. Most are just as well hidden, if not more so, than Club 33.

The closest I've ever come to visiting one myself has been using the AAA member's lounge in Tomorrowland. Which I'm not even sure still exists, now that I think about it.

agent86

It started as a private club for the original 33 companies who sponsored Disneyland. Walt wanted somewhere that was exclusive to those people - to show his appreciation.

Nope. Not even remotely correct. That is just a myth which most Disney fans know not to be true. The "33" refers to nothing more than the address in New Orleans Square. No significance or hidden meaning behind the number, and it definitely does not refer to "the original 33 companies who sponsored Disneyland." :hammer:

Bug715

And I think the answers to those questions are in the very same Wiki link you provided.

WDW has corporate lounges scattered all over Walt Disney World, usually in or near the attraction(s) those companies sponsor. Most are just as well hidden, if not more so, than Club 33.

The closest I've ever come to visiting one myself has been using the AAA member's lounge in Tomorrowland. Which I'm not even sure still exists, now that I think about it.

AAA lounge isn't an AAA place anymore. Its used for cast stuff. I had my Basics class there.

I got to go into the lobby & lift of Club 33 on the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour. I was so excited about it. If I can figure out how to post from my iPhone I'll post a pic.

luvlifeinfl

Nope. Not even remotely correct. That is just a myth which most Disney fans know not to be true. The "33" refers to nothing more than the address in New Orleans Square. No significance or hidden meaning behind the number, and it definitely does not refer to "the original 33 companies who sponsored Disneyland." :hammer:

But Walt did use it to entertain executives and others in a private setting. I remember Samantha Brown had it one of her Best Kept Secrets shows. I have them on my Itunes will have to go back and watch them.

agent86

But Walt did use it to entertain executives and others in a private setting. I remember Samantha Brown had it one of her Best Kept Secrets shows. I have them on my Itunes will have to go back and watch them.

I didn't say that part was incorrect. It was actually built for Walt to entertain "dignitaries". The part I said was incorrect was the part about it having to do with "the original 33 companies".

luvlifeinfl

I didn't say that part was incorrect. It was actually built for Walt to entertain "dignitaries". The part I said was incorrect was the part about it having to do with "the original 33 companies".

Sorry, no insult intended, was still working on my 2nd cup of coffee when I posted:eek:.

I am still looking through my Itunes of Seasons of Disney to find that part of the secret club 33 door. maybe I have the segment confused w/ one that shows on the Disney's TV's.

I would love to do one of those behind the scene tours, becasue I find all those little things of Disney fasinating. ( I love the small details)

Princess Clayre

There's a wdwradio show podcast where Lou Mongello goes to Disneyland and eats there. It gives a good description and a bit of the history of the place. Not sure what episode number but it was around April ist 2008.

Edit: Just found it Episode 58 - 16th March 2008. You can download off itunes.

Rob562

Actually, Club 33 was never used by Walt. It didn't open until a few months after he died. Though apparently Walt did have a private room in the Plaza Inn where he entertained VIPs.

-Rob

vwstud

Club 33 opened after Walt died. 33 is the original amount of sponsors disneyland had when it first opened.
i actually have reservations on June 27, super excited!

Phonedave

Nope. Not correct. 33 refers simply to the address in New Orleans Square and nothing else. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the "amount of sponsors". :hammer:

What I have heard - and correct me if I am wrong, is that a liquor license needs an address.

They wanted to serve liquor in Club 33, it being an upscale restaruant.

They did not want to use the general address for DL, so they had to come up with one for the club - 33 Rue Royal Street

agent86

What I have heard - and correct me if I am wrong, is that a liquor license needs an address.

They wanted to serve liquor in Club 33, it being an upscale restaruant.

They did not want to use the general address for DL, so they had to come up with one for the club - 33 Rue Royal Street

I have heard that explanation before as well. It might be true. All I know for certain is that the "33" pertains to the address. Beyond that, I try not to perpetuate information (and state it as fact) when I don't know for certain, unlike....

It started as a private club for the original 33 companies who sponsored Disneyland.

and...

33 is the original amount of sponsors disneyland had when it first opened.

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

All that aside, I'm certainly open to speculation that this explanation could be correct. In a way it makes sense. I mean, you could argue that DL itself could just get a liquor license and make the business decision to only serve alcohol in that one location. But I would imagine that would impact their insurance and liability costs to a huge degree. In contrast, if only that one location is allowed to serve alcohol, then your potential liability is a lot lower, and there is much rejoicing on the part of the insurer (yay yay). Also, I'm not sure about how Club 33 is set up as a business, but I would imagine it's not simply considered "part of Disneyland", like any other DL restaurant or gift shop. It wouldn't surprise me if it is its own subsidiary company.

agent86

Obviously its not that secret

Neither is Disney's Best Kept Secret :lookaroun

Actually, the title of this thread is a misnomer to begin with. It is a very common misconception (ironic in and of itself) that Club 33 is "secret". The correct word to use would be "private", which only means that it is exclusive to members and their guests. But Disney doesn't hide or deny it's existence, and unlike what was mentioned recently on another thread, they don't prohibit visitors from taking as many photographs as they want. If it were "secret", none of the above would be true. People sometimes treat it like it's "Area 51" or something. :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom