Top of the World Lounge at the Contemporary complex

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
As I was looking through some licenses, I came across Permanent Food Service location license addressed to the Contemporary. It's DBA title is "Top of the World Lounge".

Anyone know any more? I assume that it will be going in to the Bay Lake Tower.

Disneybird

Years ago when the area that is now Cali. Grill, was a supper club with entertainers (even Dolly Parton once), it was known as the Top of the World.

kbmum

I have very fond memories from the mid to late 70s of the breakfast buffet and dinner shows at Top of the World. :)

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
You see, I knew about the former name of the Cali Grill but I didn't think it was still doing business under that name. I was thinking maybe a resurrection of the name for the new tower.

Thanks for letting me know.

And yes, the request is recent because the license is in the process of being approved.

bgoebel

I remember the cheesy (but I loved it) cruise line singing/dancing. I believe they wore blue (it's engrained on my brain). MY parents used to take us to that and the luau at Poly when we were little (not to mention that those were some of the only hotels/thus entertainment options). AHHH the memories

ToTBellHop

could this be what is going in that center turret they are now building that everyone was wondering about? The views of the MK would be phenomenal...even better than the Cali Grill view.

WDWRLD

Maybe we can hope for a resurrection of the Top of the World at the new tower. Another dinner show would be great......

CatsMeow

Top of the World was great - fabulous buffets and wonderful views! Boy do we miss it!I am thinking this is for the new building taking place there....

sweetpee_1993

Here's my best guess:

We all know what is now the California Grill was formerly Top of the World. Perhaps whenever Top Of the World had the name change they just changed it for cosmetic purposes but kept whatever permits or licensing under the original name. Thus it could possibly be that 'California Grill' does business as 'Top of the World'. Now, the new tower will be needing their own food service areas. Perhaps these new areas are being treated as an extension of what already exists on top of the original tower, like a 2nd location for the same business. This could explain a new permit request for the address in the new tower under the old name.

:shrug:

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
Was it ever determined what the above permit was describing? Is it a new location in the BLT? As mentioned, the listed address matches that of the BLT but the name matches that of the California Grill's predecessor.

Mr.EPCOT

The lounge at the top of the Bay Lake Tower is indeed being named Top of the World in tribute to the original! Now let me find that concept art...

Mr.EPCOT

Yeah, actually the whole wing will be restricted access for Guests in that tower only. You'll have to use your key to gain access to the skybridge, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom