Top 5 Scenes or Moments on an Attraction at DLR

mickEblu

Original Poster
Currently in the trunk of my Dodge Durango with my son eating popcorn/ watching Toy Story 2
while Mommy is on an important work call and decided to create this thread.

There can be multiple choices from one attraction. To make it more interesting, answers shouldn’t be a scene longer than one room.... which really makes POTC difficult for me.

Here are mine.... in no particular order. What are yours?

1. Jungle Cruise Elephant Bathing Pool- On a sunny day turning the corner and seeing all the elephants and bathing Bertha is one of the happiest scenes at the park.

2. Talking Skull - Turning Around the bend in the dark from the bayou to the talking skull creates perhaps the greatest sense of mystery, intrigue and suspense in the park.

3. Wolves howling on Big Thunder Mountain as your ride In the dark of night. Hearing those wolves and feeling the cool air in your face as you travel at a just thrilling enough pace and dip into the cave creates a sort of ethereal experience for me.

4. The Rollecoaster type drop under Brer Rump and into the Laughing Place on Splash Mountain - Not only do I find it to be the most fun drop on the ride but I love the sort of Fantasyland dark ride on steroids feel of the laughing place and the song.

5. Pirate Ship battle scene- Speaks for itself. Best place making we ve ever seen on an attraction.

Honorable mentions go to the drops through Skelton steering ship on POTC, HM corridor or doors, HM ballroom, Matterhorn lift hill, the Starfield effect on the ride formerly known as TOT, Orange groves and River scenes on Soarin Over California and Ursulas lair on Little Mermaid.

Magic Feather

I'm a fan of this thread idea! For me (in no particular order)
  1. The ITS doors opening into the Hangar on Rise of the Resistance- This is one of the biggest wow moments out there, playing on the audience's sense of scale, subverting standard theme park expectations (exit through same doors), and truly creating an iconic moment.
  2. Entering the big cavern on Indy- What's not to Love? The kinetics of everything, the jaw dropping scale, the fantastic rock work
  3. The Matterhorn Splashdown- While this is nearly the opposite of the other two (much smaller scale, nothing particularly groundbreaking), this has always been a fun, somewhat unexpected element. Just plain fun!
  4. The Small World Gardens- As someone that is far more ingrained to WDW, I've always appreciated DL's topiary garden as the perfect beginning and ending to the attraction. While simple, it allows time to look at the magnificent façade, while setting a peaceful tone.
  5. Hippo and Piranha Attack on Jungle Cruise- yes, I know these are technically two scenes but both are so fun in their own way. Usually, the hippo pool is one of the locations where you will see the most variance in the script (let's each skipper show a little personality), while the piranha attack is surprising (startled me my first time) and done in a very Jungle Cruise way

Honorable Mentions: The turnarounds on Radiator Springs Racers, Entering Cars Land from the Pacific Wharf side, Grizzly River Run right before the big drop, Fun Wheel w/ Strangers Riding for their First Time the first time the gondola really swings, The part of Silly Symphony Swings that goes over the water, Coming outside to go Down the Vine on Alice, Going over the Submarine Lagoon on the Monorail, the Off-roading Part of Autopia, the Ballroom Scene, the Blustery day, the town scene of Roger Rabbit.

PiratesMansion

1. Pirates A-build up to and first drop-voice from nowhere? check. Getting increasingly dark and claustrophobic? check. Talking skull? Check. Then, of course, the drop itself. Masterful.
2. Pirates B-the reveal of the pirate battle, made even more powerful by the sheer length of Disneyland's ride. You get so deep into the experience that by the time you get to that moment it feels monumental and incredibly satisfying.
3. Haunted Mansion stretching room-added to immeasurably in CA because the room stretches more than in FL/Tokyo and it's an actual elevator, so when it moves, you feel it. It's always fun to watch out for the newcomers who jump a bit because they weren't expecting the mild jolt that happens once the room starts to stretch.
4. Indy-Gates of Doom, where you meet Indy for the first time, and then bound off into the main body of the ride as the theme blasts in your ears. Very effective at getting you pumped to go on an epic experience.
5. Radiator Springs Racers-the initial meandering before you enter the show building. It adds so much to the attraction to just have that quiet moment where you can simply enjoy the scenery and enjoy the musical crescendo as you go under the archway and approach the waterfall. Honestly, the ride would probably be better if the inside talking car part that takes you through a town that is but isn't the same town you walked through to get there didn't exist and it simply went from a leisurely scenic cruise to racing.

**Honorable Mentions, no order**
6. Probably defunct now, but "And they lived happily ever after."
7. Hell
8. The entire lift hill sequence of Space Mountain, especially that nice, slow turn between lifts 2 and 3.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Here are my top 5 moments from Disneyland attractions, in no specific order, courtesy of Youtube.

1. The How Do Ya Do to Laughing Place Transition. One of the things this ride does really well is lead into each new song with a purely instrumental version of that song... You hear an instrumental 'How Do You Do' before the geese sing, and in this case, Laughin' Place is introduced by a bunch of blacklight illuminated buzzing beehives. Such a fun moment (as long as you're in the back and didn't get drenched by the now broken water levels at this part of the ride).

2. Sorcerer Mickey's introduction in the original Fantasmic. In this version, the show completely resets after the Maleficent is slain- Tinker Bell comes out with beautifully done lights synced to the music on the Island, and the lighting/music/choreography/pyro builds during the Mark Twain Finale to beautifully transition into Sorcerer Mickey's big reveal. Something about this progression was lost on Davison and his group of modern show designers that don't understand restraint and using effects for emotional effect - instead preferring to overwhelm audiences with a 'lets just use every effect we have the whole show', a far more superficial approach to show design.

3. The stretching room- while cliche, this is probably my favorite moment of the attraction. The beautiful voice acting, the feeling that something's not quite right. The Haunted Mansion is a masterclass in experiential storytelling, and the stretching room is the perfect introduction. I prefer riding first thing in the morning when I have the room to myself, and the show lighting is far more accurate since my eyes haven't adjusted to the dark yet.

4. The Gates of Doom- Indiana Jones Adventure. This is when the ride gets good. The perfect John Williams Score, the excellent effects, and the motion of the ride vehicle come together to kick the attraction into high gear, setting riders up for one of the greatest experiences WDI has created.

5. Coming out of the final lift on Big Thunder. Beautiful during both the day an night, you get an amazing view of the west (and best) half of Disneyland. Really 'immerses' the rider in the beauty the park has to offer.

Honorable Mention: Leaving Galaxy's Edge and seeing the new Hungry Bear Sign. A moment where you're reminded 'Oh yeah, this is what Disneyland is supposed to feel like'. A moment where you can briefly forget that you are a recruit for the Resistance

mickEblu

Original Poster
Here are my top 5 moments from Disneyland attractions, in no specific order, courtesy of Youtube.

1. The How Do Ya Do to Laughing Place Transition. One of the things this ride does really well is lead into each new song with a purely instrumental version of that song... You hear an instrumental 'How Do You Do' before the geese sing, and in this case, Laughin' Place is introduced by a bunch of blacklight illuminated buzzing beehives. Such a fun moment (as long as you're in the back and didn't get drenched by the now broken water levels at this part of the ride).

2. Sorcerer Mickey's introduction in the original Fantasmic. In this version, the show completely resets after the Maleficent is slain- Tinker Bell comes out with beautifully done lights synced to the music on the Island, and the lighting/music/choreography/pyro builds during the Mark Twain Finale to beautifully transition into Sorcerer Mickey's big reveal. Something about this progression was lost on Davison and his group of modern show designers that don't understand restraint and using effects for emotional effect - instead preferring to overwhelm audiences with a 'lets just use every effect we have the whole show', a far more superficial approach to show design.

3. The stretching room- while cliche, this is probably my favorite moment of the attraction. The beautiful voice acting, the feeling that something's not quite right. The Haunted Mansion is a masterclass in experiential storytelling, and the stretching room is the perfect introduction. I prefer riding first thing in the morning when I have the room to myself, and the show lighting is far more accurate since my eyes haven't adjusted to the dark yet.

4. The Gates of Doom- Indiana Jones Adventure. This is when the ride gets good. The perfect John Williams Score, the excellent effects, and the motion of the ride vehicle come together to kick the attraction into high gear, setting riders up for one of the greatest experiences WDI has created.

5. Coming out of the final lift on Big Thunder. Beautiful during both the day an night, you get an amazing view of the west (and best) half of Disneyland. Really 'immerses' the rider in the beauty the park has to offer.

Honorable Mention: Leaving Galaxy's Edge and seeing the new Hungry Bear Sign. A moment where you're reminded 'Oh yeah, this is what Disneyland is supposed to feel like'. A moment where you can briefly forget that you are a recruit for the Resistance

Nice!! Taking it above and beyond with the videos! I’m going to have to add some pics to my post.

Californian Elitist

1. The start of Pirates through the first drop is my absolute favorite ride experience between both parks, especially when we get to the Jolly Roger (talking skull). The Blue Bayou, the peaceful sounds of frogs and crickets, the elderly man in the rocking chair, and the Jolly Roger before the first plunge is perfection. The Jolly Roger dialogue is my favorite anywhere, and if I could set it as my ringtone, I would.

2. The stretching room/elevator segment of Mansion is a classic experience and a close second to my first choice. Excellent storytelling with neat effects that are both fun and compelling. Love it. I think I'll add the hallway walk-through segment as well.

3. Peter Pan Never Land segment: This was one of my favorites as a child, and it is still one of my favorite ride moments. It's a beautiful experience. I think being an attractions CM for this ride boosted my love for it. I always enjoyed seeing guests come Pan clapping, praising the ride experience, and/or gleefully asking if they could ride again (I always said yes with no hesitation).

4. Indiana Jones bridge room: I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this one, so I won't. The experience speaks for itself.

5. The build-up before heading into the show building for Radiator Springs Racers still impresses me. The beautiful rock work and coming across the waterfall are superb. It reminds me of my undergraduate days at Mount Saint Mary's University, when my mom would drive me through the Santa Monica mountains to get me to campus.

mickEblu

Original Poster
1. The start of Pirates through the first drop is my absolute favorite ride experience between both parks, especially when we get to the Jolly Roger (talking skull). The Blue Bayou, the peaceful sounds of frogs and crickets, the elderly man in the rocking chair, and the Jolly Roger before the first plunge is perfection. The Jolly Roger dialogue is my favorite anywhere, and if I could set it as my ringtone, I would.

2. The stretching room/elevator segment of Mansion is a classic experience and a close second to my first choice. Excellent storytelling with neat effects that are both fun and compelling. Love it. I think I'll add the hallway walk-through segment as well.

3. Peter Pan Never Land segment: This was one of my favorites as a child, and it is still one of my favorite ride moments. It's a beautiful experience. I think being an attractions CM for this ride boosted my love for it. I always enjoyed seeing guests come Pan clapping, praising the ride experience, and/or gleefully asking if they could ride again (I always said yes with no hesitation).

4. Indiana Jones bridge room: I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this one, so I won't. The experience speaks for itself.

5. The build-up before heading into the show building for Radiator Springs Racers still impresses me. The beautiful rock work and coming across the waterfall are superb. It reminds me of my undergraduate days at Mount Saint Mary's University, when my mom would drive me through the Santa Monica mountains to get me to campus.

I really wanted to put the stretching room in my Top 5 but ultimately the fact they re we re crammed in there with a bunch of people reciting the lines out load knocked it off my list.

Agree on Pirates. They Bayou through the Ship battle is perfection but to get even more granular for me it’s the talking skull through the Skelton steering the ship.

Californian Elitist

I really wanted to put the stretching room in my Top 5 but ultimately the fact they re we re crammed in there with a bunch of people reciting the lines out load knocked it off my list.

Agree on Pirates. They Bayou through the Ship battle is perfection but to get even more granular for me it’s the talking skull through the Skelton steering the ship.

I actually enjoy it when others chime in, as long as I can still hear the dialogue. I feel a sense of camaraderie. However, I understand why some don’t enjoy that kind of behavior.

Pirates is the best ever and the Jolly Roger is the cherry on top.

Sailor310

I'll just do one: the fireflies in the beginning of pirates. I love fireflies. They had them in Virginia when we go visit my grandparents, but generally not where we lived. We catch them in jars-shake them to make a light.

I thought EVERYONE liked reciting 'no windows and no doors', but I read that it really bothers some folks, so I TRY not to do it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'll just do one: the fireflies in the beginning of pirates. I love fireflies. They had them in Virginia when we go visit my grandparents, but generally not where we lived. We catch them in jars-shake them to make a light.

I thought EVERYONE liked reciting 'no windows and no doors', but I read that it really bothers some folks, so I TRY not to do it.

lol it depends how obnoxious one Is being about it. Im talking about the people being really loud it about it. But it wasn’t just that that knocked it out of my Top 5, it’s also the fact that we’re crammed in there with a bunch of people and then packed like sardines in the changing portraits hallway after. I don’t remember being that way when I was kid.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I actually enjoy it when others chime in, as long as I can still hear the dialogue. I feel a sense of camaraderie. However, I understand why some don’t enjoy that kind of behavior.

Pirates is the best ever and the Jolly Roger is the cherry on top.

ya i guess it just depends if someone is being obnoxious about it or not.

George Lucas on a Bench

DLR-18_0910-E-PixarPier-0017.jpg
DSC_0046.JPG
761918CB-8AC2-499C-B56C-C7C3F64C3838.jpeg
DSC_5302-20190829-1024x683.jpg
thumb_052_190.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Indy Ball Scene
Such an iconic movie moment. How to do an IP, find out where the fun is, what the audience loves about the world, and do that. Technically brilliantly executed too. You had no idea your seats were this far up, and lose track of what's actually moving.

Railroad Primeval World.
Just drive me slowly past real scale dinosaurs.

ST Hoth.
Best moment of the movie series and of ST.
Also the one screen based entry in this thread. Really, the emotional connection, the place making, the transportation to other worlds is done with live sets, not screens.

Submarines before Nemo
You have about 45 seconds of a really good ride before the stupid sets in. Can't beat the part of being in an actual submarine off to explore!

Tiki thunder scene
Never gets old.

mickEblu

Original Poster
They definitely do and it is coyotes you hear on big thunder. If my bad memory serves me, I believe you hear them yipping also?

Good to know. I’m not sure about the yipping as you pass by so fast. Also, I only ride Big Thunder at night so I hear them and not really see them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom