Tomorrowland Speedway - Big Tree Removed

degunter

Original Poster
I just noticed in the photos posted today and from September, that they removed a very large tree to reroute the track. Was surprised we did not hear much from the environmentalists on that...???

BEFORE:
picture.php

AFTER:
picture.php

raven

Trees are removed all the time on property, most go unnoticed by guests. Last week they removed a very large tree between Group Sales and Guest Service outside of Epcot.

Really doesn't have anything to do with the environment when the company reserves acres and acres of land just for preservation. They grow and add trees all the time.

hpyhnt 1000

Eh, the removal of one tree from the Speedway isn't really an environmental issue. And considering the area it was located, its not really a big deal as there are several equally large trees in the immediate area.

I do wonder if some of these larger trees that have been removed (or in the case of the future Dumbo area, will be removed) will find their way into the Fantasyland Expansion. It'd be a great way to give the forest area a "grown in" appearence as the other plants take a few years to grow in.

degunter

Original Poster
Dont misunderstand me

Please don't misunderstand me... I totally agree that cutting down a tree or two or hundred or thousand is not that big a deal... It just seems like anytime Disney does ANYTHING that the nut jobs come out against it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just noticed in the photos posted today and from September, that they removed a very large tree to reroute the track. Was surprised we did not hear much from the environmentalists on that...???

That's just one tree, they removed a lot more in the area where the rest of the Fantasyland expansion is going to be.

RandySavage

In my experience & opinion, the presences of big, old trees, whether in your yard, a city park or a Disney theme park is a good, and increasingly rare, thing. Big trees add shade, beauty and a unspoken sense of class & wisdom that comes with age. They legitimize a landscape.

Which of the following city parks is more appealing to you, the top one, with all newly-planted, young trees or the bottom examples, with their big mature trees that have been living for many decades:
3575265748_7b2c06b8de_z.jpg

Mature tree removal at the MK is a bit of sore subject for me. Like others have said, I don't think this case shown in post 1 is that egregious (although, being a tree-lover, I would have liked to see it stay), but the changeover of the Hub (and Town Square) really got me sad and angry. After three decades of growth, it had become a shady and park-like oasis but then, in the 2002-2005 period, and for reasons discussed throughout these boards, most of the sizable trees in the Hub were removed. The area became (and remains) a hot, sun-scorched, tree-less plaza with open visual intrusions from Liberty Square through Tomorrowland to the Contemporary (and looming Bay Lake Tower).

When Disney removes the big, mature shade trees from its parks & property, it diminishes the environment - not in a broad ecological sense, but more in an aesthetic, place-making & design sense... at least until newly-planted ones grow up (if they are allowed to), but then we are talking a 20-40 year wait to re-establish that beatific presence.

NASAMan

Thanks for posting the before and after pictures. I noticed things looked a little more 'open' when I walked by last weekend, but could not put my finger on it.

Another tree getting removed is the one in the Tour Garden by City Hall (or maybe it is just being moved). That area is getting a new layout to make Photopass photography easier.

Phonedave

It is a shame to see a mature tree go, but after they hacked half the root system away in order to put in the new sub-base for the track, it was going to die anyway.

They did do a pretty slick job replanting that area.

-dave

TiggersPooh

the track is over where that tree was...it had to go

several trees have also been removed at the old skyway turn (looks like they dug up the old foundation of it as well)

sweetpee_1993

In my experience & opinion, the presences of big, old trees, whether in your yard, a city park or a Disney theme park is a good, and increasingly rare, thing. Big trees add shade, beauty and a unspoken sense of class & wisdom that comes with age. They legitimize a landscape.

Which of the following city parks is more appealing to you, the top one, with all newly-planted, young trees or the bottom examples, with their big mature trees that have been living for many decades:

It depends. If it's a clear, sunny day I'll seek the shade of the mature trees. If there's a thunderstorm I'll be running from said trees. :D

I noticed the wide-open-ness. Still looks nice and they only took what they had to. It's all good with me. :wave:

flavious27

Please don't misunderstand me... I totally agree that cutting down a tree or two or hundred or thousand is not that big a deal... It just seems like anytime Disney does ANYTHING that the nut jobs come out against it.

They really can't complain when disney removes trees that they built 40 years ago, they aren't nature or old growth.

WDW1974

Mature tree removal at the MK is a bit of sore subject for me. Like others have said, I don't think this case shown in post 1 is that egregious (although, being a tree-lover, I would have liked to see it stay), but the changeover of the Hub (and Town Square) really got me sad and angry. After three decades of growth, it had become a shady and park-like oasis but then, in the 2002-2005 period, and for reasons discussed throughout these boards, most of the sizable trees in the Hub were removed. The area became (and remains) a hot, sun-scorched, tree-less plaza with open visual intrusions from Liberty Square through Tomorrowland to the Contemporary (and looming Bay Lake Tower).

When Disney removes the big, mature shade trees from its parks & property, it diminishes the environment - not in a broad ecological sense, but more in an aesthetic, place-making & design sense... at least until newly-planted ones grow up (if they are allowed to), but then we are talking a 20-40 year wait to re-establish that beatific presence.

Couldn't agree more, Randy.

It's funny (well, not really) that MK appears vastly less greener and lush in 2011 than it did in 1991. You just notice vast concrete swaths (better for the double-wide stroller and ECV brigade, I guess) that absorb the FLA sun and make it very unpleasant.

DL ... DLP ... TDL ... even HKDL are much greener and park-like ... and that does make for a more magical experience.

'Course, you also have the vast tracts of trees cut for projects that may never be (like Flamingo Crossings) or shouldn't be (Rotting Oaks).

RandySavage

^ Yes, sir.

Some visual samples from the old, arboreal MK:
4689669766_e4d84f9c91_z.jpg

4689669816_c174c6c720_z.jpg

3592578657_637b2b59b6_z.jpg

3575233422_99c009a56d_b.jpg

Then came the men with axes (figuratively).
3574424925_405baac702_b.jpg

Note how before the trees were removed they partially obscured the castle, making it look more distant, mysterious, romantic, real. Now that the trees are gone, there is no more stage by stage reveal: from the moment you get past Main St. Station, the castle has a zoomed-in effect, making it more in-your-face, kitschy, plastic-y and toy-like in its unobstructed enormity.

flavious27

Couldn't agree more, Randy.

It's funny (well, not really) that MK appears vastly less greener and lush in 2011 than it did in 1991. You just notice vast concrete swaths (better for the double-wide stroller and ECV brigade, I guess) that absorb the FLA sun and make it very unpleasant.

DL ... DLP ... TDL ... even HKDL are much greener and park-like ... and that does make for a more magical experience.

'Course, you also have the vast tracts of trees cut for projects that may never be (like Flamingo Crossings) or shouldn't be (Rotting Oaks).

Well the tdo of the past should have found ways to keep the paths shaded while also making them wider. There are plenty of 2 and 4 lane highways that are fully shaded.

MiklCraw4d

Great post, Randy. I too was ill when they nuked the hub. It made me think of that old interview with Walt, when he talks about how the park will grow more beautiful as the trees grow in.

WDW1974

Very depressing pictures, Randy.

Concrete isn't magical ... nor is seeing the Contemporary hulking (that's for all the Marvel fanbois) above Liberty Square.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Note how before the trees were removed they partially obscured the castle, making it look more distant, mysterious, romantic, real. Now that the trees are gone, there is no more stage by stage reveal: from the moment you get past Main St. Station, the castle has a zoomed-in effect, making it more in-your-face, kitschy, plastic-y and toy-like in its unobstructed enormity.

I couldn't agree with you more, especially your comment about it looking "real." You really felt like you were in this magical land when you were in the hub, surrounded by green with a huge castle in front of you. Removing the trees totally killed that illusion.

DisneyJoe

Many of the trees that are removed are moved back to the tree farm whenever possible.

One of the tours available to us at the recent Earmarked Conference for travel agents was of the tree farm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom