News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

Aries1975

The attraction has a little life left in it yet.
I truly hope so...

I know there are issues. Particularly for those of us with long drives to Disney, the last thing we want to do is get in a pretend car. Yes, I would like emission-free cars. Yes, I would like a smoother ride. Yes, I would like more responsive steering. Yes, I would like more room for my tush and legs.

BUT...

When I ride the speedway, I see my kid's beaming face when he completes the track without touching the center rail. For a kid, the opportunity to drive, especially, with mom or dad as a passenger is awesome. The speedway, with all of its faults, is a prime example of the original idea (from some dead guy) about creating experiences that parents and their children can enjoy together.

And it is still better than another meet and greet.

Pam Hates Penguins

I truly hope so...

I know there are issues. Particularly for those of us with long drives to Disney, the last thing we want to do is get in a pretend car. Yes, I would like emission-free cars. Yes, I would like a smoother ride. Yes, I would like more responsive steering. Yes, I would like more room for my tush and legs.

BUT...

When I ride the speedway, I see my kid's beaming face when he completes the track without touching the center rail. For a kid, the opportunity to drive, especially, with mom or dad as a passenger is awesome. The speedway, with all of its faults, is a prime example of the original idea (from some dead guy) about creating experiences that parents and their children can enjoy together.

And it is still better than another meet and greet.

Right. And there are some people who don't micro-analyze these topics like us enthusiasts and just simply enjoy it.

aladdin2007

Right. And there are some people who don't micro-analyze these topics like us enthusiasts and just simply enjoy it.

very true, and I know of several families where this attraction is their absolute favorite thing to do in the Magic Kingdom. It may be old fashioned or need update/changes but its loved. Kinda like Peter Pan's Flight in that regard. Both still have an original charm or nostalgia that has been done away with most everywhere else.

Monorail_Red_77

I've always thought it doesn't fit Tomorrowland or even a Disney park.
More suited for a place like Fun Spot Orlando IMHO.
I get what you are saying but....
Disneyland Autopia opened July 17, 1955.
The US Interstate System (Eisenhower Interstate System) was created July 29, 1956.
It wasn't officially considered completed until October 14, 1992. So the roots of the Tomorrowland Speedway are older than our Interstate System. For me, it is a huge nostalgia factor. I remember driving it with my father as early as Oct 1982. Now, I get to drive it with my kids. They love it and I love experiencing it with them. Yes there are times, i'm like not again.... when they want to ride it over and over. But, I hope it stick around for just a little longer. Yes, I'd rather have this than another meet and greet. I hope whatever replaces it in the future is worth it. Not like we traded 20k leagues for Pooh's Playground. Thank goodness that was temporary.

Andrew M

The US Interstate System (Eisenhower Interstate System) was created July 29, 1956.
It wasn't officially considered completed until October 14, 1992. So the roots of the Tomorrowland Speedway are older than our Interstate System. For me, it is a huge nostalgia factor. I remember driving it with my father as early as Oct 1982. Now, I get to drive it with my kids. They love it and I love experiencing it with them. Yes there are times, i'm like not again.... when they want to ride it over and over. But, I hope it stick around for just a little longer. Yes, I'd rather have this than another meet and greet. I hope whatever replaces it in the future is worth it. Not like we traded 20k leagues for Pooh's Playground. Thank goodness that was temporary.

My thoughts exactly.

I remember before I was big enough for real go-karts that this was the first time I could actually drive. We went in March and my 5 and 4 year olds were really bummed out that it was closed. They really look forward to actually being able to drive at Disneyworld, especially while they're still too little to drive anything other than kiddie bumper cars.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
My thoughts exactly.

I remember before I was big enough for real go-karts that this was the first time I could actually drive. We went in March and my 5 and 4 year olds were really bummed out that it was closed. They really look forward to actually being able to drive at Disneyworld, especially while they're still too little to drive anything other than kiddie bumper cars.
Oh! I totally get the nostalgia aspect of Tomorrowland Speedway, I also remember riding it with my grandma on my first ever visit to WDW as a teenager. Good memories!

TS still has many fans, and you'll be enjoying it for years to come.

cheezbat

20,000 Leagues....

Now that would be a fun replacement for the Speedway. They could build something similar to the one in Tokyo so it’s not actually a ‘water’ ride....heck...they could make a Jules Verne mini-land that bridges between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. That would help cover up Tron’s show building too...

And if they MUST have an Autopia style ride, I say start over. Build a new electric version on the plot of land/parking lot next to Carousel of Progress and the back end of Main Street USA where the old Tomorrowland ampitheatre used to be. It could be so much more intricate and weave over and under itself and take up considerably less space than the current version.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
20,000 Leagues....

Now that would be a fun replacement for the Speedway. They could build something similar to the one in Tokyo so it’s not actually a ‘water’ ride....heck...they could make a Jules Verne mini-land that bridges between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. That would help cover up Tron’s show building too...

And if they MUST have an Autopia style ride, I say start over. Build a new electric version on the plot of land/parking lot next to Carousel of Progress and the back end of Main Street USA where the old Tomorrowland ampitheatre used to be. It could be so much more intricate and weave over and under itself and take up considerably less space than the current version.
IMO, WDW missed an oppprtunity here. How about new reimagined vehicles? Something more fitted with TL, I don't know, like rockets or mini Mars rovers for example.
Instead, they chose the cheaper, easier route.

Also address the fumes and noise issues.

The basic scope of the ride would remain unchanged giving fans a refreshed experience.

Surfin' Tuna

IMO, WDW missed an oppprtunity here. How about new reimagined vehicles? Something more fitted with TL, I don't know, like rockets or mini Mars rovers for example.

The basic scope of the ride would remain unchanged giving fans a refreshed experience.

I believe there is a refurb still scheduled for this attraction. IIRC Martin also alluded to that somewhere in this thread.

In my heart I still want to love this attraction for the joy it brings kids, but it sure did smell and sound a lot better when it was closed. Reimagined, though, I could really learn to love it again.

Bocabear

When Hong Kong closed their futuristic themed electric car Autopia, they apparently sent their cars to WDW...Not sure what WDW did with them, but the fact that they did not bother to use this current shutdown to retool and upgrade the infrastructure and visuals does not make me confident that they are going to do anything meaningful with the Speedway...sadly.

Last edited:

debpeduz

Hello! Does anyone know how long the WDW Railroad will be closed for refurbishment? Going end Sept/Oct and it’s one of my sons favorites!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
When Hong Kong closed their futuristic themed electric car Autopia, they apparently sent their cars to WDW...Not sure what WDW did with them, but the fact that they did not bother to use this current shutdown to retool and upgrade the infrastructure and visuals does not make me confident that they are going to do anything meaningful with the Speedway...sadly.
View attachment 374620
Fair, but there will be multiple closures during TRON's construction which would give them a fe opportunities to upgrade visuals and/or Cars if they so choose to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom