News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

ghidorah97

They should just remove the speedway and replace it with one or two attractions on its footprint. Also, I am very sad to see the walkway behind Tomorrow Land ripped up. Despite the smoking section, it was my favorite part of the park - a nice quiet place to watch the train go by.

I know that there are people that love the speedway, but count me on board with removing it entirely. Even when I was a kid, I just never had any interest in it. Ugly, loud, stinky, SLOW little cars just bored me to tears (apologies to those that enjoy the attraction).

I also am sad to see the walkway ripped up. Was always my favorite place to go to get away from crowds if only for a few moments.

Edit to add: Upon re-reading this, WOW do I sound like a cranky old man or what???

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't think he was talking about Tron, but instead the Speedway. Making a version of the speedway designed to look like something Andy build and putting it around Slinky Dog would have been a very cool idea.

Oh right. Read too fast :banghead:

That would absolutely make sense. But it would take $$$ to make happen. I imagine the decision-making process now is something like this:

What's the ROI on that?
Can we merchandise it?
Sell commemorative pins?
Offer hard-ticket events?

Can't check enough boxes = Hard "no" from management.

azox

Is there any chance this ride will go under the Tron canopy? I think it would really be a nice touch if they can pull it off. It seems hard to believe they will reopen this will more tron construction goes on and then shut it back down again to theme it tron as has been mentioned. If so the speedway would be down for 2019 up for 2020 and then back down for 2021 while tron finishes up?

jt04

Someone tell me again why they couldn't have woven this and Slinky Dog Dash together on the same footprint in Toy Story Land?

I think I have an answer. While the idea would be great, the reason you don't see this done is because if someone loses something on a coaster it can hit someone below.

This is why the attractions being placed inside the helix of California Screamin have covered queues and rides. It is also why Dualing Dragons stopped dualing. And they have that ugly net hanging off of the Hulk Coaster.

They need to make the raceway an indoor attraction. Creates a greater sense of speed and easier to electrify. See Andretti carts.

jt04

Is there any chance this ride will go under the Tron canopy? I think it would really be a nice touch if they can pull it off. It seems hard to believe they will reopen this will more tron construction goes on and then shut it back down again to theme it tron as has been mentioned. If so the speedway would be down for 2019 up for 2020 and then back down for 2021 while tron finishes up?

I doubt it. See my comment above.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I wish they would just put it out of its misery and be done with it

azox

So looking at other sites it sounds like this ride is coming back in May 2019. It will be fun to see what they do :)

jt04

Then they aren't going to be able to use the Tron design from Shanghai since the guest path goes under the track there.

I wouldn't be surprised then to see portions enclosed then. Can't have guests walking directly under coaster tracks. In the US anyway.

RSoxNo1

The same reason they couldn’t have made any other armchair imagineer fan idea online.
By no means I am the creative decision maker that many in house people at Disney Imagineering, but there are some operational issues that could have been a part of many projects under Iger.

Putting in a Go Kart type ride in Toy Story Land would allow for the removal of the Speedway where that land could be much better utilized.

I said this when Toy Story was announced and well before they announced the Tron coaster. I'm certainly at the point where I think there are fans that understand park operations and needs better than the executives writing the checks.

RSoxNo1

I think I have an answer. While the idea would be great, the reason you don't see this done is because if someone loses something on a coaster it can hit someone below.

This is why the attractions being placed inside the helix of California Screamin have covered queues and rides. It is also why Dualing Dragons stopped dualing. And they have that ugly net hanging off of the Hulk Coaster.

They need to make the raceway an indoor attraction. Creates a greater sense of speed and easier to electrify. See Andretti carts.
It's valid enough, but the design to integrate the two onto a similar footprint shouldn't be that difficult. Tunnels at points of intersection or some other sort of barrier like a net would solve the problem.

DinoInstitute

By no means I am the creative decision maker that many in house people at Disney Imagineering, but there are some operational issues that could have been a part of many projects under Iger.

Putting in a Go Kart type ride in Toy Story Land would allow for the removal of the Speedway where that land could be much better utilized.

I said this when Toy Story was announced and well before they announced the Tron coaster. I'm certainly at the point where I think there are fans that understand park operations and needs better than the executives writing the checks.
I agree with that. My comment was mostly just intended as sarcasm, as there are hundreds of great ideas that they could (and/or should) have done but didn’t. Personally I appreciate TSL as is, but certainly, you have a great point that some operational decisions just simply don’t make any sense and you would think most people with a basic understanding of the parks with have known better (most notable example being closing GMR for MMRR instead of expanding).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom