News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

Movielover

That had to have been the laziest IP tie-in. And the only good thing to come of it, the iguanadon in the water, was removed. It was meant to be the escaped, rescued dino from the ride, right?

Correct, they are supposed to be the same dino. The Dinosaur CTX tie in always felt like to me that they were never sure if they were going to actually tie the 2 together. Besides them using the same species of dinosaurs they don't have that much in common, and even then the dinos had very different looks to them.

Film:
latest

Ride:
tumblr_ols2fanKUm1uodgxto1_500.jpg

Which does nothing to hide the fact that the ending security monitor footage on the ride was a last minute fix to solve the intended peppers ghost effect.
1534156249429.png

It looks like they just copy over a rough pre-vis version of the dino from the film.

DisneyCane

If the company cares enough about the environment to remove plastic straws and lids they should replace the speedway cars with ones that don't pollute the air.
Batteries have plenty of pollution associated with them from mining the required materials to make them through disposal. They also don't charge by magic and electric generation (which will not be majority renewable anytime soon) creates emissions.

Electric go carts MAY be cleanER than gas but they are not perfect. How much cleaner they are when considering production and operation is complicated and debatable. There have been analyses done on the Prius that show it's overall environmental impact to be just as bad, if not worse than, a non-hybrid.

EricsBiscuit

As of right now, unknown. What's likely to happen is the track will be removed/covered during Speedway alterations, as well as during the installation of the swoopy bit and pedestrian walkway. Once those are done, it should be able to return to regular operation, with the coaster construction finishing up after the train returns to normal.

I'd wager Dec 2018 to mid 2020. Or later, depending on tron's pace.
That really sucks. Can't they just build like a tunnel?

Also in the Disney announcement they didn't say the WDWRR would be the same attraction when it reopens. Maybe they will do some plussing.

NearTheEars

I really did not like any of the Disneyland indoor railroad sequences. There's a lot of great lighting in there. But the scenes still come off as very flat.

I agree with the aesthetic that unthemed rollercoasters are bad. But on the opposite side of that spectrum is a highly themed steam locomotive that goes through a dinosaur scene.

I know it’s a Disneyland nostalgia thing, but never understood it. Can you imagine if the DL one never existed what folks on here would say today if WDW added a dinosaur scene like that to the railroad? The horror!

Kman101

I wouldn't consider a unique attraction that opened with a completely different name that (stupidly) had it's name changed to tie in with a film about similar subject matter that very few remember to be IP Based. At least not in the way Chapek would define it.

Just because "very few remember" doesn't make it untrue.

Kman101

Maybe, but I doubt it. The Primeval World is special to the DLRR and is what makes it unique. As much as I like the scene, I rather it not come to the WDWRR.

They don't care about unique. (Unless you are a Marvel attraction in any park other than WDW). I saw the same whining when there was talk of Cars Land coming to DHS a few years ago. DL doesn't like to share. I'd like the Mickey and Minnie ride to be unique to DHS but that won't stop them from likely cloning it into DL or DCA. I'd like a lot of things to be unique. But they aren't.

Last edited:

Kman101

That really sucks. Can't they just build like a tunnel?

Also in the Disney announcement they didn't say the WDWRR would be the same attraction when it reopens. Maybe they will do some plussing.

I have a hard time seeing it coming back until right before TRON, personally, but I don't know their construction plan. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it opens before the

The priority to get the Speedway back up would be a lot different than the priority to get the railroad back up. I doubt they care as much about the railroad as we think. Improvements would be nice but until we hear otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath. But the opportunity seems to be there.

I know everyone loves the train but there seems to be a bit of handwringing over this. Sometimes things have to close for a while. The world won't end. The railroad is coming back. It will all be fine.

Captain Barbossa

They don't care about unique. (Unless you are a Marvel attraction in any park other than WDW). I saw the same whining when there was talk of Cars Land coming to DHS a few years ago. DL doesn't like to share. I'd like the Mickey and Minnie ride to be unique to DHS but that won't stop them from likely cloning it into DL or DCA. I'd like a lot of things to be unique. But they aren't.
Yeah when I said I doubt it, I meant if Primeval World comes to the WDWRR, I doubt it’ll be reconfigured to accommodate the Excursion 3 coaches.

Kman101

Yeah when I said I doubt it, I meant if Primeval World comes to the WDWRR, I doubt it’ll be reconfigured to accommodate the Excursion 3 coaches.

I can't see them making any more effort than necessary, personally (even though we know they can do almost anything they wanted to if the urge was there, if they actually "cared"). That's if they even touch scenes on the railroad, which I also have a hard time believing they'd do. I wouldn't worry about Primeval making it's way here LOL. But maybe they'll treat the 50th different. We keep hearing they know they have to do things differently know but their actions still speak louder than the money being spent.

Believe me, I wish they cared about unique. There needs to be significant draws to each park while still offering favorites. If you do clones, make it different and unique to the other park it's going into. But they just like to copy and paste ...

I think the ship has sailed on Cars at DHS but If it were cloned I'd have wanted a different take on Luigi/Mater's. Maybe do dancing baby mater tractors instead and have a unique meet and greet with Mater. We all know they'd cut a ride anyway ... (was just an example of cloning yet making it different and unique to the park it is in; not trying to armchair!)

PizzaPlanet

You think it was just a coincidence that the two most prominent species in the attraction are also the two most prominent species featured in the movie. Iguanodon and Carnotaurus aren’t exactly the first species people think of when they think dinosaurs.
The fact that the movie was coming out is also allegedly why Dinoland was favored to get built over Beastly Kingdom.

azox

I have a hard time seeing it coming back until right before TRON, personally, but I don't know their construction plan. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it opens before the

The priority to get the Speedway back up would be a lot different than the priority to get the railroad back up. I doubt they care as much about the railroad as we think. Improvements would be nice but until we hear otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath. But the opportunity seems to be there.

I know everyone loves the train but there seems to be a bit of handwringing over this. Sometimes things have to close for a while. The world won't end. The railroad is coming back. It will all be fine.

I wonder what happens to the people that run the WDWRR for that time period when it's all shut down. Do they get assigned other jobs? or just told they get a year off?

raymusiccity

Correct they run in reverse every night. I should have been more clear. I meant they will likely never do this again in normal operation with guests.
They might be more flexible than they care to admit. They don't seem to have any issues during their morning 'Behind the Steam' tours. 😊

Jambo Joe

You think it was just a coincidence that the two most prominent species in the attraction are also the two most prominent species featured in the movie. Iguanodon and Carnotaurus aren’t exactly the first species people think of when they think dinosaurs.
I am just annoyed they got rid of the ‘Countdown to Extinction’ sub tag - it was the only thing interesting about that ride. They spent a fair amount on the ride only to provide an experience that is needlessly jerky and is almost entirely in the dark. Imagine how much better that ride would be with dramatic visuals all around you of the chaos and the approaching asteroid. Instead - darkness and banging your knees.

Kman101

Did we ride the same ride? That's exactly what Dinosaur is.

There's no doubt some missed potential with the ride. But I enjoy it. It took me a long time to come around to it and appreciate it though. I admit to skipping it many times in the past, but when they refurbed it I gave it a shot and it's fun. Nothing wrong with wanting more but sometimes it seems people just can't have fun ... (not you of course! I always sort of laugh when someone blindly dismisses it like another poster did; which is I've made up my mind about it). No, it's not Indy. Sorry everyone. But it's not the worst ride in the world, either.

I'd prefer the original name, though. And there's no doubt they could plus it a lot. Hopefully ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom